Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deepthought

how to make a springpad

does anybody know how to do a springpad like the ones in the skulltag d2dm5 and d2dm6 maps? i looked at it, and there's an actor hits floor thing that executes an ACS script. What is this script?

TNX in advance!!

Couldn't you just make an acs script that modifies the gravity and then causes the player actor to enter the jump state?

Or you could just use ThingThrustZ and make your life a whole lot simpler. You don't even need ACS to use it. Put it as the thing action on a "Actor touches floor" thing and set the parameters.

If you want to thrust in a certain direction, there is ThingThrust. The scripts used in the Skulltag jump pads are probably just used to call both of these specials at the same time, but it's not necessary. Just place two of the "Actor touches floor" triggers in the same sector and have one ThingThrust, and the other ThingThrustZ.

tried the thingthrustz thing. it doesn't launch monsters or projectiles that hit it. i want it to do that like it does in d2dm2 and d2dm6.

For monster or projectiles, you have to set certain thing flags on the "Actor touches floor" things. For monsters, it needs to have the "Deaf"/"Ambush" flag, and for projectiles, it needs to have the "Dormant" flag. So you'd just set both of them on the sector action thing.

it works for monsters but not projectiles.

i was wondering if there was a way to decompile the ACS script. i tried with the version of deacc that came with doom builder but it didn't work.

If you are going to require the player to jump in order to "activate" the springpad, then the simplest way to do it is to set a low gravity on the springpad sector. Then instruct the player (perhaps via a HUD message) to step on the pad and jump.

The one down side of this type of mechanism is that if you wish the player to be able to step off on an overhead platform upon using the springpad, the player needs to be very close to the wall when making the jump because the horizontal-movement controls are virtually disabled when making the jump.

i've looked up ACS and i think i've got something that should work but doesn't

script 1 (int height)
{
SetActorVelocity(0,0,0,64,true,false);
}

what's wrong?

I'm using this script

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN
{ 
   Floor_LowerInstant (2, 0, 16);
}

script 2 (void)
{
   if (GetActorFloorZ (0) >= 128)
      {
         if(lineside() == LINE_FRONT) 
         {
	    // 128:ThrustThingZ (tid, force, up/down, set/add);
            ThrustThingZ (0, 200, 0, 0);
         }
      }
}
in this example pwad

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it may still be helpful.

If you are using Skulltag format then there is a thing under the "Skull Tag" selection called "Spring Pad Zone". Just place this thing inside the desired sector and it should work.