Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Are all you Doomworlders mappers/modders?

So, is everyone a mapper/modder/etc..?

I'm a mapper(sorta), and I was just wondering if everyone was a mapper/modder, or are there just normal ol' doomers...

Usually people who play doom enough get into mapping eventually. I had to play a lot of doom before I decided I wanted to map for it. Sometimes I go on binges where I make maps constantly for like a week straight, and other times I can't think of anything and usually just play a megawad for ideas. I love mapping but I definitely love playing doom more.

I've attempted to make maps, and none of them have been made public due to how crap they are (save for one that I put out on idgames under a secret handle :>). I have done modding before, but usually I am a musician. I've only had one or two tracks used in a wad (without my permission).

For the whole time I've been playing Doom regularly (about 2 1/2 years), I've largely stuck to simply playing random WADs along with some multiplayer on the side (I'm mediocre at both). Every time I've attempted to map, I never get farther than a couple of rooms in Doom Builder before I lose interest.

I wanted to start making maps back in the 90's but I was too dumb to figure out what to do with the editors I had downloaded over the years. In 2004, I "rediscovered" doom and started playing online. I downloaded doom builder and read the tutorial that came with it, and finally started to understand. yay

I've been editing maps for doom since 1995 or so. I wish I still had my first maps. I still have nostalgia for them, but they're long gone. One was e1m1 modified and extended with lots of big monsters like the cyberdemon in the beginning area :). In the beginning I did mostly single player maps. Then I went through a phase of DM maps, but with gameplay that focused on getting weapons (hit a switch, run to a lift) with lots of secrets. My friend and I had a blast on our wads we made, but it wasn't until later that learned a new style of dm mapmaking. I I was fascinated with why everyone played Dwango5 map01. So I studied that map a little bit, and made a bunch of maps based off the outdoor area of that map; hence Greenwar.

Last night I started making skies for doom. Some of them I actually quite pleased with. They actually tile nicely! To make them I edit photos i've taken or that I found on the web (mostly the latter). I've tried making skies in the past, but didn't have the patience or understanding of how pixels would look zoomed out to get them to tile. But now I can haz able. I've also gotten slightly more into single player mapping again of late. My love affair with doom comes and goes over the years.

I map sometimes but I play Doom more than mapping(percentage rating would be 20% mapping and 80% Dooming) and almost all of my releases so far are speedmaps.

Long-time Mapper (since 1996) and mini-modder right here..I tend to make mods of other mods (IE my initial introduction of Skulltag stuff into Oblige V2).

Some of us like to spend our time coding for source ports when we aren't playing. I enjoy the great selection of WADs talented people have created, but sometimes a bug or missing feature bothers me, so I try and work on that (although I'm definitely one of the less experienced coders around here, but hey, unexperienced mappers are mappers too). Maybe I'll make WADs again some day when source ports and editing utilities become even more powerful than they are now.

I'm a mapper/modder(sorta). You'll probably find that many of us fall into that general category, as for normal ol' doomers - you might have to define that a little better before I can say if I've ever encountered one. ;-)

This reads like an AA meeting.

Hi, I'm Snakes and I'm a mapper. Didn't map for years, but got on the bandwagon when I found Doombuilder. (etc.)

I started out with mapping in 1996, although I've never managed to make anything worth publishing.

Today, if I make anything for DooM it will usually involve scripting/programming and making music (mostly "metal" mods). I do map a little occasionally though.

Mapping for about a year now, really started playing when I was curious and hunted down my dad's ultimate doom cd about a year or two before that. First port was doomsday funnily enough, but once my laptop couldn't run of scythe 2's maps in it I switched to something else, think skulltag. My favorite maps are slaughter maps, but lately after playing most of TNT I've got a soft spot for jam-packed hitscanner action, though it's still really annoying to die to something as fragile as a shotgunner.

I've started countless maps over the years but I can never seem to get either the gameplay or layouts to a point I like them, so I've never really released anything. I've been giving some thought to wrapping up the better ones (those I still have, or remember the layouts of, anyway) into a single wad and releasing it, just to have something original in the archive under my name.

I am a mapper, I enjoy doing that more than playing doom maps. I make doom maps since '98. I've been a registered member here since '04, but I was lurking before that. Playing doom on and off from when it was released. Lately my mapping activity went downhill because of rl issues that have a higher priority. I will probably not be very active the coming months.

Doomer since 93.

Mapper since 94 (though with a big break from 98-07)

Began work modding as well early last year.

85% mapper, 15% player. Mapping since late 2001, playing since 1997 or so.

Manhunt21 said:
I was just wondering if everyone was a mapper/modder, or are there just normal ol' doomers...

As you're seeing, mapping is not the only sort of "DOOM specialization". You can also find musicians, graphic artists, coders, players, web maintainers and more.

I'd say about 70% Playing, 30% Mapping/modding. Most of my work dosen't even see the light of day however.

Player since '08, Mapper since '09.

myk said:

... web maintainers and more.

I see what you did there. :)

Nah, to take pride in my "contributing specialty" I'd rather think of "player, designer and researcher," more or less in that order. As a mod, I'm just a dude with a broom and a cart to pick up the scraps for recycling :p

Web maintainers include everything from hosts and site admins to regular wiki contributors.

Started playing Doom in 1995 (32x...yeah) and benn modding properly for just over a year.

I'm useless, I've never made or contributed anything to Doom.

I have mapped for Dark Forces, Left 4 Dead, and skinned for Team Fortress 2 though. I just long ago came to the understanding that I couldn't make a good Doom level even if I tried =p

eargosedown said:

I'm useless, I've never made or contributed anything to Doom.

Entertaining us with "let's play" videos of your AV run has got to count as some form of contribution, surely.

Kyka said:

Entertaining us with "let's play" videos of your AV run has got to count as some form of contribution, surely.

Indeed it does.