Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos released

It's broken in Skulltag because of a recent change in SBARINFO that hasn't been ported over yet. Once that change is made, the patch won't even be necessary.

The HUD displays fine (without the patch) in GZDoom.

Jimmy91 said:

It's broken in Skulltag because of a recent change in SBARINFO that hasn't been ported over yet. Once that change is made, the patch won't even be necessary.

The HUD displays fine (without the patch) in GZDoom.

It's not broken in Skulltag. It's broken in GZDoom.

Blzut3 said:

Or ZDoom >= r2542 or GZDoom >= r893. The one in the main pk3 was adjusted to account for a bug in SBarInfo that was never reported.

I like this. It's a huge improvement over "vanilla" Invasion, because now multiplayer Invasion actually has a way you can lose. The single-player experience seems well-balanced, which is rare for invasion wads, but I won't be playing the whole campaign, because it does get dull - necessarily, I think. There's only so much you can really do with this game mode, and this project does a lot already, with some novel weapons and monsters I haven't seen before.

You can lose in regular invasion too if you run out of lives. But the server has to change sv_maxlives. I think a lot of servers prefer infinite lives though (which I don't really agree with)

I died once in SP and after that the max ammo I could carry never got up when picking a backpack (always stuck at x/50 shells, x/300 cells, and so on).

Otherwise, I like it so far. Just playing one map a day so it doesn't get old, it's good fun.

Having played it some, I have to say it's not so good, though I realize it's a matter of taste. The biggest fault is in the gameplay format itself: Invasion is extremely predictable, and at the times when you add hooks into it to make it less so (like opening up new routes for enemies) it'll easily turn the game into something completely unfair, because if the player isn't anticipating it then the monsters can just sneak around into the base without you ever knowing about it (and that's bad). This could be easily, if not remedied then at least made less harsh, by adding some objects into the bases that the monsters try to destroy instead of them just entering the base causing you to lose. That would give you more time to react to surprises that right now are instant death.

Other than that, there's very little progression to look forward to here. Well, of course you have more levels to play after each one, but there aren't any new powers to gain or unlock by yourself that you could look forward to. For example, being forced to buy your guns would actually give you something new to anticipate between each stage, or you could have weapon upgrades, or even experience levels. Just that something little to keep the game progressing while the core gameplay itself is staying the same through the whole thing. Being only able to buy health, armor and power ups is boring.

I don't really see myself playing this more for a few reasons: The gameplay being based on partially false premises (the enemies aren't trying to kill you while you're trying to kill them - it's not that fun taking cheap shots at the enemies while they're trying to run into your base), it being overly repetitious, instant defeat on small mistakes and lack of progression to keep me interested.

There are maps like that in the next section, and are rather common thereafter. In those maps, there's a core to defend. Other maps have milestones where there's multiple gates that the enemies can progress past, and then there are maps where it will allow up to a certain amount of demons to pass through.

Anyway, I was thinking of a scanner type powerup (like from Strife) where you could see all the monsters on the map. I think this would help greatly.

Ichor said:

There are maps like that in the next section, and are rather common thereafter. In those maps, there's a core to defend. Other maps have milestones where there's multiple gates that the enemies can progress past, and then there are maps where it will allow up to a certain amount of demons to pass through.

If there really are more player friendly maps later on, I don't even want to imagine what kind of people were responsible for deciding to make the early maps the dick ones. Even the "Nintendo hard" games have the courtesy to start you off leisurely (even so that the beginning stages may be virtually impossible to lose) before ramping up difficulty. Here, on the other hand, even the Mars stage can be lost easily if a lucky spectre manages to avoid your attention - once it's inside the base, it's already too late for you to do anything about it. Perhaps something like that could be fine in a later map, but as the first one it's just bullshit.

Phml said:

I died once in SP and after that the max ammo I could carry never got up when picking a backpack (always stuck at x/50 shells, x/300 cells, and so on).

I have this problem too - using gzdoom 1.4.8. Also making the missions you've completed already into time attacks that you MUST beat par time for to get good monies is annoying. Sure it forces progression, but I would like to try out some of the more exotic items without being stuck with just that item.

I did find a secret health pack in 2nd tier mission 1, so I guess there are collectibles, but having another way of getting them would be nice; possibly a lottery style thing? Would be a good idea for multiplayer - have all players put in, say 400$, one gets a random really good item, another a good item, another something on the level of a marine, and the last/rest gets a barrel.

On the maps, I found most of them pretty cool. Like jodwin I was kind of annoyed by how easy it was for spectres to get into the deadline in the first mission of tier 1, but just leaving a marine out prevents that easily. I played on HMP for once, so maybe it'll be harder to prevent with more monsters.

So yeah, pretty fun, should try multiplayer for once (I have not played an actual online game of doom. Ever. Yeah I suck ;).

Finally played through the first 2 tiers online including one the secret levels yesterday. Placing mines for hordes of Demons and Spectres to get
blown up is so satisfying especially when more than one players are using them strategically(STR06 is a good example of using them).

Phml said:

This glitch also happens on multiplayer also but its most likely will be fix since its annoying not to be able to grab the extra ammo you needed.

If Tier 2 is all you've gotten up to, I'd say you won't be needing a sequel just yet. :P

It got a little repetitive for me, but then again I did play through 7 levels in one sitting.... by myself. And I can see this being great fun co-op, which it was obviously designed for.

This is great fun so far. If you need "more satisfaction" out of singleplayer just spam sentries (it's "SUMMON SENTRY"). It really feels like tower defense.

COOP is where it's at though.

Jimmy91 said:

If Tier 2 is all you've gotten up to, I'd say you won't be needing a sequel just yet. :P

Well, that way, it'll already be in the making(possibly) by the time I'm done.

I only play Single Player, on it though.

When I tried this WAD some minutes ago, I think, it'll be Tormentor's another great, but boring work. After 5 minutes I didn't believe my own eyes! It's not great, IT'S TOTALLY FANTASTIC! And really not boring!

People, after years of playing Doom I thougt: I'll not see nothing new thing (especially after laying Foreverhood), but I've never seen as gigantic and mostly epic Doom work like Stronghold.
Previously I thougt, all time best WADs are AEons of Death and Super Sonic Doom, but Stronghold better, better and better, than these WADs.

Congratulation all the team who made this epic game of action!

Blah I have mixed feelings about this. I tried it out in coop and every map I tried in the first tier was small, boring, and repetitive. So we hit in a random map number and called a vote then was warped to that awesome aurora map. I like the feel to this and the effort put into the interface. What I don't like is easy map = plain boring map. I think every map should be as awesome as it can, regardless of the difficulty. And clearly the Stronghold team can do better. Also maybe this is added in later maps, I don't know. But one thing I like more with the ST invasion mode is that maps grow more and more complex as waves are reached.

Katamori said:

People, after years of playing Doom I thougt: I'll not see nothing new thing (especially after laying Foreverhood), but I've never seen as gigantic and mostly epic Doom work like Stronghold.

wat

Either you haven't even been looking through some the previous cacoward winners or you just haven't been following the /newstuff chronicles.

There have been plenty of wads in the past few years between now and Foreverhood that have attempted to turn Doom into something different. Did you even try Enjay's BGPA Missions Liberation, Scuba Steve's Action Doom 2, or Thomas' Harmony?

As for the maps being gigantic, there's a huge problem with that. When you get right down to it, a lot of the maps give the illusion of being gigantic. There are quite a few maps containing beautiful areas that would be awesome to explore but they're usually off limits. Cut out all the unreachable areas for a lot of these maps and you've usually got an extremely cramped playing field that's made even smaller in that there's usually only one or two areas that the player ever needs to bother going to. There's so much wasted space in a lot of the maps.

I'd like to see a more dynamic invasion scenario than more of the same like Stronghold (SH's maps are generally good, but they are still the same sort's of maps usually seen).

For instance, a long chain of structures in which the Demons start at one end and the Marines (players) at the other.

Then both race toward each other trying to capture as many of the structures as possible. Each one either side captures moves their spawn points forward and the opposing side's back.

Naturally, victory is achieved by capturing all the structures leading up to and then the Demons original (main) base at the end of the chain.

There could even several be routes to the Demons main base, which could require the marines to split their forces as some of the marines assault bases to make a chain of captured bases to the Demon main base while other marines defend the captured bases from Demon's that come down the mentioned other routes.

Or maybe there could be a few dead end side routes that lead to other Demon bases that remain dormant unless attacked. Taking these out of the way bases grant the players more powerful weapons.

Indeed, I'm aware I've essentially described the combat portion of Dynasty Warriors Empires or Unreal Tournaments Onslaught mode.

Craigs said:

wat

Either you haven't even been looking through some the previous cacoward winners or you just haven't been following the /newstuff chronicles.

There have been plenty of wads in the past few years between now and Foreverhood that have attempted to turn Doom into something different. Did you even try Enjay's BGPA Missions Liberation, Scuba Steve's Action Doom 2, or Thomas' Harmony?

As for the maps being gigantic, there's a huge problem with that. When you get right down to it, a lot of the maps give the illusion of being gigantic. There are quite a few maps containing beautiful areas that would be awesome to explore but they're usually off limits. Cut out all the unreachable areas for a lot of these maps and you've usually got an extremely cramped playing field that's made even smaller in that there's usually only one or two areas that the player ever needs to bother going to. There's so much wasted space in a lot of the maps.

Well, I joined this community onl few days ago, so previously I found the WADs randomly... I know Action Doom 2, also a beautiful and good WAD, but I felt a bit boring.

And I meant "gigentic" equivalent with "epic", I not think about the sizes of the level...sorry, but my English isn't the best.

So, the important thing: I really really like this WAD, and althought I can't beat Tier 2 Level 4 (because the final wave is absolutely impossible on single player mode), it is a LEGENDARY WAD. One of the bests of all time (like AEoD, Hell Revealed, Scythe, etc.) and Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos is my new favourite WAD :)
(my old favourite WAD was Super Sonic Doom)

Katamori said:

Previously I thougt, all time best WADs are AEons of Death...

...I know Action Doom 2, also a beautiful and good WAD, but I felt a bit boring.

Craigs said:

wat

Anyway, how I feel about this wad has been covered by many others already. Honestly, it has some pretty neat ideas, but it's dragged down by poor execution and boring map design.

brinks said:

Anyway, how I feel about this wad has been covered by many others already. Honestly, it has some pretty neat ideas, but it's dragged down by poor execution and boring map design.

Which? Action Doom 2 or AEons of Death?

Katamori said:

Which? Action Doom 2 or AEons of Death?

Pretty sure he's referring to Stronghold. AEons of Death is a god awful bloated pile of shit though. All it is is a shitty oversized (330MB for God's sake) compilation of weapons ripped from various sources. There's at least a thousand wads like it including 100gunsx and most of Alando's weapon packs. Each and every one is filled with dozens and dozens of weapons that the players never use because they're almost exactly the same as each other.

zap610 said:

I tried it out in coop and every map I tried in the first tier was small, boring, and repetitive. So we hit in a random map number and called a vote then was warped to that awesome aurora map. I like the feel to this and the effort put into the interface. What I don't like is easy map = plain boring map. I think every map should be as awesome as it can, regardless of the difficulty. And clearly the Stronghold team can do better. Also maybe this is added in later maps, I don't know. But one thing I like more with the ST invasion mode is that maps grow more and more complex as waves are reached.

STR29 offers a unique enviornmental effect that eventually effects most of the map. Also, a lot of the later maps, naimly STR30 are absolutely massive.

After having spent quite some time on Stronghold now, I can say that I had a blast playing that one. You can feel a lot of work has been gone into this project. Thanks again, guys. :)

However, I felt the ending was disappointing.

Spoiler

You're told about a monster with a mouth the size of Io or something, and after 19 waves you end up with recolored monsters from Duke Nukem 3D or Hexen. It wasn't even up to par with the Overmind you met earlier.

Anyway, awesome stuff overall, congrats.

Craigs said:

AEons of Death is a god awful bloated pile of shit though. All it is is a shitty oversized (330MB for God's sake) compilation of weapons ripped from various sources. There's at least a thousand wads like it including 100gunsx and most of Alando's weapon packs. Each and every one is filled with dozens and dozens of weapons that the players never use because they're almost exactly the same as each other.

I know these things, but you can say evrything, I love this WAD yet!

This wad is the best, I love it! however the backpack issue should be fixed... its annoying to try this single player on UV without.

Shuck said:

This wad is the best, I love it! however the backpack issue should be fixed... its annoying to try this single player on UV without.

It's already fixed for RC2 so don't worry.