Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

The most unique easter egg you've seen in a game.

Many games have easter eggs or references to other things as we all know. Does anybody remember some unique interesting ones you'd like to mention here? One of my favorites is the duke nukem easter egg in blood for example.

Technician said:

Duke Nukem is practically one big easter egg. It's hard to pick just one from it.

True, true. But I'd say the most unique easter egg in that game is the doom one. (in my opinion at least.)

I thought the "I aint afraid of no QUAKE" was better.

Xaser said:

NIИ

Da fuck you talking boi? You talking about the ammo boxxes?

Technician said:

Da fuck you talking boi? You talking about the ammo boxxes?

E4M1, probably.

There was a closet in Elite Force II that contained a green pipe sticking out of the floor. Activating the pipe put you into a Mario-esque platform game where you had to collect golden starships.

Wolf3D had that Pac-Man map.

The frozen donkey wheel in singularity.
The hatch in StarCraft2.
One doomed space marine in Duke3D.

The grey aliens roasting a cow in Outlaws?

Dancing Nazis in MoHAA?

Dancing Zombies in ThiefII?

golden pantaloons from baldur's gate. the other parts got more obvious in the sequels, but that was one hell of an easter egg.

mike the liar in morrowind. and his lies.

exploding critters in warcraft 2.

Not exactly an easter egg, but I like the "I am Error" guy in Zelda 2. Almost everyone apparently thinks that, yes, he is a joke, but his name really is "Error" and after you visit one town later on in the game he gives you a pretty useful tip.

So the game fools you into thinking that he's just a pointless joke, but then the joke's on you when you don't realize that he's one of the most useful hint-giving NPCs in the whole game. Brilliant.

Jodwin said:

Not exactly an easter egg, but I like the "I am Error" guy in Zelda 2. Almost everyone apparently thinks that, yes, he is a joke, but his name really is "Error" and after you visit one town later on in the game he gives you a pretty useful tip.

The association between guys in green spandex, well-known issues with Japanese and rhotacism and the word "Error" made my think of this Errol.

Maes said:

The association between guys in green spandex, well-known issues with Japanese and rhotacism and the word "Error" made my think of this Errol.

Considering that pretty much all the named NPCs and villages in Zelda 2 have perfectly Japanese-sounding names (there's no L in Japanese), I'd say he was just named "Error" in the original and the translators either left it in like that as a joke or didn't think things through.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already. A pretty new one, though, is the Dwarf Fortress easter egg in the new WoW expansion. My friend has the beta for that and I fucking lol'd when I saw it.

Vaporizer said:

The basketball easter egg in System Shock 2.

Interesting. Thief, by the same developers, also has a basketball Easter egg (you can find a basketball court complete with usable basketball in the training mission of Thief: The Dark Project).

Watch from about 3:10

Is that anything like the SS2 one?

If anyone played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, you're probably familiar with the developer bonus room. The best part was wandering around and listening to each member's soundcips on who they were and how the contributed to the game. Shame that newer games don't have that anymore.

GTA San Andreas:

GTA3:

Same place in GTA Liberty City Stories:

Honourable mentions: the numerous easter eggs in UTnT and the Super Metroid easter egg in LoS.