Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Judge Stops Federal Funding of Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. district judge granted a preliminary injunction Monday to stop federal funding of embryonic stem cell research that he said destroys embryos, ruling it went against the will of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/23/stem.cell.funding/index.html?hpt=T1

I'm glad they're putting a stop to the destruction of embryos. Now they can go straight into the garbage, where they belong.

Technician said:

I'm glad they're putting a stop to the destruction of embryos. Now they can go straight into the garbage, where they belong.

Amen to that!

Stupid congress making laws based on the will of their obcviously conservative majority. Time to nuke the south!

Also

Why do humans try and put a face on an embryo, that has already been unwillingly pulled from a mother, not because of research, but unwanted by it's own creators.

Don't make a baby out of something that you throwaway.

Technician said:

bahahahahahahaha

On one hand this is just bad bad news IMO.

On the other hand, Technician has started the greatest thread ever. Fact, no IMO.

printz said:

You're glad they're stopping research, religious one.

Your sarcasm detector needs repairs. Hint: an actual "religious one" wouldn't say that embryos belong to the garbage heap.

Gez said:

Your sarcasm detector needs repairs.

Probably, but even if I assumed sarcasm, Technician's similar second post made it seem less apparent.

printz said:

Probably, but even if I assumed sarcasm, Technician's similar second post made it seem less apparent.

That's funny. It should've made it even more apparent.

conservatives groups objected, contending that the destruction of human embryos ends human life.

I'm pretty sure that after an embryo has been taken from its mother and frozen that it's dead. Even if it could somehow be reanimated, I doubt any of these fundie women would be willing to carry someone else's unwanted child. So in the bin it goes, typical religious hypocrisy. They couldn't get abortion banned, so they'll just ban anything that may benefit from it.

Oh well, looks like other places in other countries such as the very one i work at will just have to take the credit for amazing, world-changing breakthroughs.

Actually the place i work at has already got gravity under it's belt, how do ya like them apples? (nb: apple story probably not actually true)

Scet said:

I'm pretty sure that after an embryo has been taken from its mother and frozen that it's dead. Even if it could somehow be reanimated, I doubt any of these fundie women would be willing to carry someone else's unwanted child. So in the bin it goes, typical religious hypocrisy. They couldn't get abortion banned, so they'll just ban anything that may benefit from it.

We're actually not talking about aborted fetuses here. What I gather from the article is that this new ruling prohibits research that destroys four- or five-day-old embryos, which aren't something that you're going to scrape out of a woman's nether regions. Rather, these embryos are mainly the leftovers of in vitro fertilization. For every test tube baby that gets implanted into a womb, a handful of extra embryos are also made, so that the mother can have the pick of the litter, I suppose, and then these extras are frozen. So yes, these extra embryos are not yet dead and could develop into babies if implanted in some other warm and wonderful vagina, and there are fundie groups dedicated to "adopting out" these embryos, so these religious groups are not directly hypocritical (in this one instance). However, the notion that mothers can be found for every single one of these potential children is absurd. The conservative platform would be more logically consistent if they also lobbied against the practice of in vitro fertilization, so that these unwanted embryos can't be left motherless in the first place. But, obviously, that's a tougher cause to sell, so they settle for trying to get this glut of embryos implanted into our women, so that every single flowering zygote can develop into a human being some day in theory, even though in reality the vast majority of this ever-growing supply of embryos will just get freezer burned and end up in a trash bin.

Creaphis said:

this ever-growing supply of embryos will just get freezer burned and end up in a trash bin.

Just like old meat. If thats the case, then I assume there was no reason to keep them frozen, or at least, not until the point where they get all freezer burnt (I never understood the term Freezer Burnt by the way, more of a... Damn, whats the word?). Either put a Use By (Date) sticker, with a "No Exceptions" sticky note, or... Use the damn thing before its useless... Right?

Oh, and in reply to this, just to let go of my true world view:

lupinx-Kassman said:

Sometimes I hate humanity.

ALWAYS hate humanity. We humans: all suck.

Scet said:

So in the bin it goes, typical religious hypocrisy. They couldn't get abortion banned, so they'll just ban anything that may benefit from it.

And sadly, stem cells may be the biggest medical breakthrough since chemotherapy.

Pharmaceutical company can still do research at their own penny. But unless it makes them money right away they won't putt a huge budget or man hours in research.

Clonehunter said:

ALWAYS hate humanity. We humans: all suck.

But not like animals, right? You anti-humanists are incredibly predictable.

Technician said:

But unless it makes them money right away they won't putt a huge budget or man hours in research.

We'll see. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the risk takers that reap the rewards later. As you say, it's the biggest medical breaktrhrough since ... (I wouldn't say chemotherapy though.) There must be money to be made in there.

Graf Zahl said:

As you say, it's the biggest medical breaktrhrough since ... (I wouldn't say chemotherapy though.)

Yeah, Rogaine is was pretty awesome... until stem cell follicle duplication!!!

Mr. Freeze said:

But not like animals, right? You anti-humanists are incredibly predictable.

No, animals suck too. The whole fucking world sucks. Not that I can do anything about it. Of course, I'm the laziest asshole out there, so...

Creaphis said:

For every test tube baby that gets implanted into a womb, a handful of extra embryos are also made, so that the mother can have the pick of the litter, I suppose, and then these extras are frozen, and there are fundie groups dedicated to "adopting out" these embryos

Aren't the embryos already fertilized though? So doesn't this mean that there's a bunch of little Timmy clones all with the same genes, all belonging to fundie families? That doesn't sound very good, both for society and the gene pool.

Scet said:

Aren't the embryos already fertilized though?

Embryos are the result of fertilization so, yeah...

So doesn't this mean that there's a bunch of little Timmy clones all with the same genes, all belonging to fundie families? That doesn't sound very good, both for society and the gene pool.

I think they are varied ovum(s) and sperm cells from the same parents used. If they are embryos made from the same zygote, that's still not a big deal seeing as they're plenty of identical siblings in the world. Even if two identical siblings mate with two other identical siblings (not of the same family), there is no chance of identical offspring.

On the one hand you have a bunch of kooks claiming a ball of 8 cells has a soul, but on the other you have some much needed checks on executive power. It's hard to decide how to feel exactly.

Technician said:

I think they are varied ovum(s) and sperm cells from the same parents used.

Yeah I forgot that each embryo would be from a different egg/sperm. I still think though that it would be better for these people to have their own kids instead of carrying others, provided it's possible.

Clonehunter said:

Just like old meat. If thats the case, then I assume there was no reason to keep them frozen, or at least, not until the point where they get all freezer burnt

Apparently, if an embryo is frozen before reaching the 100 cell mark it can be kept frozen indefinitely. For some reason the cells are far less prone to rupturing when frozen/thawed.

DERPITY-DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Some days I feel like taking a really large hammer to the backs of the skulls of all the fundie right-wing conservative assholes in this country, because their continued existence continues to dirty our gene pool with their idiocy, lower our national IQ, bring progress to a grinding halt, and ruin this whole goddamn country for the rest of us. One day I'd actually like to live in a country where we can make some observable technological progress and not be forced to wallow in stupidity and poverty.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY COUNTRY, YOU MORONS, I'M DONE SHARING IT WITH YOU.