Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremiah Zero

The Cyberdemon in Gamespot's "All Time Greatest Game Villain" Battle

They did this before, only with protagonists instead. The only memorable thing about it was when a bunch of /b/ tards made a shit load of voters cry by rigging it so that bub and bob beat the Master Chief and Sonic. Other than that it was extremely boring.

From what I see, every villain's picture is from the most recent game, not always the most appropriate version.

For me though, the Romero of Sin is the more iconic Doom villain, considering I saw it long before facing the E2M8 Cyber. The cyberdemon was always just a big "common" Doom 2 enemy.

Graf Zahl said:

I don't vote for anything that's associated with Doom³...

With a bit of tweaking I'm sure you can turn the Doom³ Cyberdemon into an equivalent of Doom 2's. It just needs the maps to make it interesting (apart from that Tower of Babel D3 remake...)

Still, you went all the way to write the '3' symbolically. Thanks :D

Creaphis said:

The problem there is that they're comparing apples and oranges. SHODAN is the more villainous of the two, sure, but GLaDOS is a brilliantly written comedic antagonist so it's no surprise that the mob favours her.

I'd say the real reason is the audience. How many of the people voting have even played System Shock 2?

The Joker and Darth Vader?... That's just silly. Why not include the 5,000 other villains who have, at some point, appeared in a video game, that are normally represented in another media?

Creaphis said:

The problem there is that they're comparing apples and oranges. SHODAN is the more villainous of the two, sure, but GLaDOS is a brilliantly written comedic antagonist so it's no surprise that the mob favours her.

Shodan is brilliantly written as well. But as Jodwin said, the people voting for Glados is mainly kids who never even heard of the magnum opus that is System Shock.

Captain Toenail said:

Am I the only person that didn't find Portal hilarious? I mean, it was a nice puzzle game with a cool idea, but it wasn't comic gold :/

I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more if practically every line from the game hadn't become a meme before I had a chance play it.

Captain Toenail said:

Am I the only person that didn't find Portal hilarious? I mean, it was a nice puzzle game with a cool idea, but it wasn't comic gold :/

The only thing funny about Portal was having the ending song as an easter egg in Left 4 Dead 2. Me and my competitive team accidentally found that when we played the beta, and had a good chuckle.

This seems to be an incredibly badly constructed list. For one thing, most of the characters being matched up are barely comparable. Closest example to home - if you had to pick something from Doom to compare against Andrew Ryan, it'd be Dr. Betruger, as they play similar roles.

I am disappointed that more people voted more for Andrew Ryan than the Cyberdemon :(

wait, Ryan vs. Cybie? I think I'm gonna compare Doomguy to Gabriel Knight next, because they're totally similar enough. Yeeah...

At any rate, I shall stand firm by the belief that if they had used the correct version of the Cyberdemon, it would have won. ;)

[EDIT] -- Hehe, I looked at some of the other contenders and it's obvious how stacked this is. Just a popularity contest where the newer-generation games will always win, nothing more.

We all know the purple tentacle would win, hands down.

Xaser is right, its pretty much a popularity contest, to bad it was not more well thought out.

Whoo said:

GLaDOS is well known, and pretty much a clone of Shodan. Shodan on the other hand is original, and is not known by a whole lot of gamers. Gamespot, I am disappoint(For like the hundredth time).

well... i dare say shodan is greatly inspired by harlan ellison's AM. and he's a mean bastard, he'd probably win that silly contest if it was based on actual villainy and not popularity among little children. i still like shodan the most, cause her evil has style and character. glados reminds me of a batman villain - adam west batman.

if sephiroth wins, please nuke gamespot offices. faggiest villain ever.

I'm actually pretty surprised that the cyberdemon came close. I feel like a lot of games had had some pretty intense villains.

It's too bad this topic wasn't posted earlier, by the time I saw it the Cyberdemon had already lost.

That said, the Cyberdemon was pretty scary the first time you played against it at the end of Episode 2... Or the first time you had to face off against one in Doom 2 if you didn't play the original first (forgive me for not knowing which map the Cyberdemon first appears, lets assume the first time you played you were a wimp and chose ITYTD or HNTR.)

These days though, I'm sure most of us could circlestrafe the poor Cybie while pumping it full of hot (Super) Shotgun lead, taking exactly 0 damage.

Also, on an unrelated note: Dr. Robotnik lost too? That's just sad (but then again most people associate him with the string of Sonic games made in the last 5 years, most of which were terrible)

It´s really apples and oranges. Original Doom Cyberdemon against one of the giant Duke 3D bosses would have made sense, or Doom3 Cyberdemon against a boss from Painkiller or Prey.

I don´t know half of the bosses from that list also, all that console stuff.

Also, villains in a video game and video game bosses aren´t necessarely the same. For example n FEAR you don´t even fight that stupid cannibal psionic guy (well, mainly for the reason because they wanted to spray INNOVATIVE!!! all over it). Or in Quake, non of the bosses is the actual villain codenamed Quake.

That was the wrong cyberdemon, so no wonder it lost.

We all know the imp is the greatest game villain of all time, anyway.

Traysandor said:

I'm sure most of us could circlestrafe the poor Cybie while pumping it full of hot (Super) Shotgun lead, taking exactly 0 damage

Sure, in a big open arena where you can do that to any non-hitscanner :P

Well, cyberdemon lost...I think not only would the old one be a better contender, but I think it looks more scary. I dunno why. Anyway, at least I got to vote for heihachi mishima

It's a shame that most of the awesome villains (Giygas, Cyberdemon, pre-adventure robotnik, etc) were beaten by stuck from games like Bioshock. But yeah, It's all just a popularity contest.