Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

WAD waaaaay too big!!

I know you guys are probably sick of all the "Help please" blogs but here it goes:
I need some help, I'm using Doom Builder 2 for creating a doom II based map called castle.wad, its using a really big wad for extra textures so how do I store only the textures that I'm using from that really big wad into castle.wad

Thanx

This is a good question that I've often wished for an easy solution. I wish there was (one that I know of?) a utility that would go through your wad and delete all unused textures and associated unused patches. This would be really useful at the end of a big project to get rid of any extra crap from resource wads that weren't used.

If you're using doombuilder, when you choose to select a texture, it will list all the textures that are already being used in your map first. That way you know which textures to use and which to discard.

Ralphis said:

....a utility that would go through your wad and delete all unused textures and associated unused patches.

I believe DeepSea will list the unused textures; you'll still need to manually delete the patches & textures, however. Which brings us to another issue - a texture may be unused, but it may contain a patch that is used in another texture present in the wad. Deleting the patch will mess up other valid textures. [Ultimately, DASI-I, to reduce the file size you need to delete the patches, not so much the textures themselves.]

Other issues with identifying unused textures, say, in ZDooM are:

1. If the texture is being used as a FLAT in the wad, I don't believe DeepSea flags it as being in use. If that same texture is not used elsewhere, it will be flagged as unused.
2. If a script contains instructions to change the texture of a sidedef or FLAT, and this texture is not elsewhere used in the wad, DeepSea will not know of your intended use and will flag it as unused.

40oz said:

If you're using doombuilder, when you choose to select a texture, it will list all the textures that are already being used in your map first. That way you know which textures to use and which to discard.

This does not include textures used in ACS scripts or custom UDMF fields.

SLADE3 will tell you (in the "PNAMES" tab of its texture editor) how many times each patch is used, and by which textures. So if you see a count of zero, you know you can delete it.

There's not yet anything to look through all of a wad's maps and make a similar count for textures, though.

Gez said:

SLADE3 will tell you (in the "PNAMES" tab of its texture editor) how many times each patch is used, and by which textures. So if you see a count of zero, you know you can delete it.

There's not yet anything to look through all of a wad's maps and make a similar count for textures, though.

Because the resource 'hogs' here are the patches, deleting those and not worrying about the textures would cut down the file size. The disadvantage of deleting patches but not textures, is that the map editor's texture browser will get slightly messed up (i.e., texture name showing up but no/partial image).

Regarding SLADE3, does it tell you how many times each patch is used in a texture in the map, or simply how many times each patch is used in the wad. If it's the latter, then it's probably of little use to DASI-I, who inherited a texture wad that (presumably) uses all/most of its patches in textures.

As I said, it doesn't go through the maps.

Let's say you have a 64x64 patch, let's call it BLAH. Then you have a 64x128 texture, which we'll call BLEH, which tiles BLAH above itself. None of the other textures use BLAH. SLADE3 will tell you that BLAH is used twice, both in texture BLEH.

I know deepsea lists all unused patches. But nobody uses deepsea but me.

Edit: Nevermind, I don't think it does. The option I was thinking of removes lowers/upper textures it decides it doesn't need which is kind of useless for zdoom levels. It was called "Check for textures not required". Oh well.

All righty then ^_^. thanks for the help guys, it took me, like, forever to get it right, XWE was a big help especialy when it came to the delete and merge tools. This is gonna be a huge map even with the little amount of textures...When I mean huge I'm talking doom standards here, something like a 5 megabyte map. (I think thats mostly because I have some custom weapons, enemies and sound)