Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

i phone 3G update?

I inherited an Iphone 3G and it is slow as balls. Wondering if the latest OS update for it will really make it faster. Anyone know? or know what udpate I should do to make it not puase so much when taking photos? It's also slow as the burning underworld in loading text messages (my old nokia phone was always instantaneous).
thanks

What version is it currently?

A good way to get speed back in 4.0X is to do this:

Go to settings > general > home button and turn off spotlight search

Probably also helps in 4.0X is to make sure you're not running ten bazillion apps at once, though even with several apps started in the background it takes pictures instantly. My Blackberry on the other hand is laggy garbage that sometimes takes five minutes just to figure out how to display the home screen.

I can't say anything about different versions of the OS. I inherited this phone the other day and it has the newest OS on it already.

Disabling the spotlight search should do it. On the other hand, it would be helpful too, to stop some unused apps from the mutlitask-menu (double tap the home button).

3G and 3GS are different. Apple wants everyone to buy iPhone 4 so they crippled the update for standard 3G, the 3GS has only been out for a year, so it will be another year at most before they kill it with a crappy update (trust me).

Unless u are kewl like me and JB, then you don't have to worry about any of that shite LOL

The sad thing with all those "iProducts" is that in Greece "i" is a prefix used in the Army's medical categories, with I1 being best and I5 being unfit for service (something like the American PULHES Factor).

Colloquially, someone with real or perceived disabilities or handicaps is called a "Iotas" aka "Someone who has an 'I' rating other than I1", although I1-I3 are all fit for armed service, I4 is fit only for unarmed and I5 means totally unfit for service.

Therefore, all those "iProducts", "i"-this and "i"-that sound like something seriously runty/weak/handicapped/crippled to begin with, which is often not so far from the truth ;-)

So "iPhone" sounds more or less like "cripplePhone" :-p

I would totally jailbreak it right now except that the guy who gave it to me kindly upgraded it to 4.02 and nobody seems to have a reliable jailbreak for it. The guys making those things said they'd wait until 4.1 because they don't want to waste an exploit on a minor update.

Aliotroph? said:

I would totally jailbreak it right now except that the guy who gave it to me kindly upgraded it to 4.02 and nobody seems to have a reliable jailbreak for it. The guys making those things said they'd wait until 4.1 because they don't want to waste an exploit on a minor update.

Yep no point wasting a Jailbreak exploit on a version of iOS whose only change was to fix an exploit used to JB the device, lol

The iPhone seriously needs toggle buttons for things like wi-fi. Digging in settings every time sucks.

This SID Player app is pretty sweet, though. :D

Hellbent said:

I inherited an Iphone 3G and it is slow as balls. Wondering if the latest OS update for it will really make it faster. Anyone know? or know what udpate I should do to make it not puase so much when taking photos? It's also slow as the burning underworld in loading text messages (my old nokia phone was always instantaneous).
thanks

You need to downgrade that shit, it's too resource hungry for specs of the 3G.

POTGIESSER said:

You need to downgrade that shit, it's too resource hungry for specs of the 3G.

Nah that's not true, if you disable spotlight everything is back to 3.0 speed pretty much

Shaikoten said:

Oh why hello there from Android land, how is your closed source OS and no multitasking?

crickets.wav

(jk, android is awesome)