Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

IWAD musics of custom musics?

My friend want to help for I make a good WAD, but he's annoying... he say always, I put Bon Jovi: Livin' on a Prayer song in a serious theme map, but I think, it's ridiculous! I rather use original IWAD musics, because Erik Alm's Scythe was popular without many new musics, only the IWAD musics, but my friend always say, the IWAD musics are shit in a new WAD...

and you? what do you think?

Everything depends on the map. For some maps IWAD music fits best, for some others it doesn't.

You should smash in your friends face, because Bon Jovi is annoying. The moment i would hear that shit out of a pwad, it got deleted from my harddisk.

No lyrics in a map's music, they're distracting. Ambient or instrumental only.

No MP3 (or OGG, FLAC, WAV, whatever) of a copyrighted song either, unless you want everyone to talk only about that instead of the map.

IWAD music tracks are usually safe to stick with. Don't keep them in the same order as Doom 2 though.

40oz said:

IWAD music tracks are usually safe to stick with. Don't keep them in the same order as Doom 2 though.

I don't replace all music, so... :)

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got

We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer

I don't mind custom music, so long as it's not at odds with the map or makes my ears bleed. It can also make a pleasant change from the IWAD tunes - some of which I must have heard thousands of times.

Ohhh now I'm gonna have that stuck in my head for hours. Singing and humming it. ;)

Great song but...

kristus said:

Classic rock tracks covered in midi format is always fail.

Gez said:

No MP3 (or OGG, FLAC, WAV, whatever) of a copyrighted song either,

few cares about copyright at all today, not to mention TPB ( how they now came along?.. off topic)

I say: PSX doom soundtracks... N1 even if they are in any other format then midi. same thing with the doom64 absulution convertion soundtracks.

and finding music not influed by ID in anyway via the song itself or inside one of their games ( I say quake2 midi convertions ) IS A Hard Fuck Of A Challenge. Ive not Succeded myself of getting good doom-fitting soundtracks outside IDs surroundings at all

D_GARG said:
few cares about copyright at all today,

He was referring to the idgames archives policy. Add-ons are rejected when they have such contents.

myk said:

He was referring to the idgames archives policy. Add-ons are rejected when they have such contents.

Ahaaaa ... now I see ;)

If the music suits the map/WAD, complements it and doesn't take away from it, then it really doesn't matter if the music is from the classic Doom games or if its a custom stuff. Technically, I have a thing where it someone gets very original with their WAD, I like to see new music because I think it can complete the fresh, new take on Doom that the author created. However, classic Doom music can still work in these cases if the right track is used.

I don't think using anything is good, though, when selecting "new" music for a WAD. Bon Jovi doesn't really work...ever. So your friend is kind of wrong in using it for his Doom WADs. I can't see how Bon Jovi tracks would work with any Doom map.