Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Doom Life Game

This is an idea that just came to me, I think that it could be awesome if it was done right. Pretty much, you have a world filled with Doom monsters. Individual monsters can either interact by killing and eating eachother, or by running from others. In other words different monsters have different levels of aggression. Monsters of the same species can have offspring after they eat enough. The offspring can sometimes have random traits or mutations that either benefit them or hurt them. They can pass these traits on to their offspring, resulting in evolution. Over time, a Hell Knight could evolve into a Baron of Hell, or a demon could evolve into a blood demon from Realm 667, or species could go extinct ,or whatever. You as the played would be able go fight the monsters and watch them do all of this (obviously).

So, do any of you like this idea? Would something this complicated be possible in Doom?

Herculine said:

Like The Sims with Doom monsters?

Kinda, except the monsters would be more like animals- so I guess it would be like a nature sim. You would also be able to shoot stuff which would be a plus.

im working on something like that, although its not quite to that extent. its a doom mmorpg that we have been developing for a few months now based on the idea of world of warcraft.

You can use ACS scripts and other serious changes? If yes, let's do this! I'll try it when you can upload a demo or the finished game...

bgraybr said:

Would something this complicated be possible in Doom?

Yes.

Dee said:

based on the idea of world of warcraft.

What idea? The only thing that separates WOW from other MMO's is the facilitation of group play, and even that isn't a new idea. All WOW ever did was take a regular MMO, make it really really easy to play (which is good), then make it have retarded amounts of content so that you can't possibly see everything in the game BECAUSE THEY ARE BLIZZARD AND THEY CAN. Now, despite never playing I think it's a great game, and I am not shitting on Blizzard - however, you must realize that what makes WOW "special" is that it was made by a company with enough resources to beef it up with content. Fundamentally it is just like every other MMO - you fight dudes, you get items, and you do "quests" which actually have no effect on the world.

Perhaps you can make a doom RPG. I would love that. But to call it an MMO??? How can you have a persistent world which saves each player's inventory and stats (not to mention returning to its previous state when server restarts) within the doom engine?

Back to bgraybr's idea, I think it would be cool. But instead of this MMO nonsense keep it simple. It of course needs a huge map, but I think there should be an end in sight. Meaning you can fire up a game and play it, and eventually someone will win or whatever. Like an RTS or survival mode. If you want an MMO, write your own engine.

magicsofa said:
What idea?

If, as I assume, what he said is that he got the idea from playing WOW, his statement is sensible and valid. An idea doesn't need to be original to be an idea. Relative originality notwithstanding, ideas are primarily reworkings of previous ideas.

But to call it an MMO??? How can you have a persistent world which saves each player's inventory and stats (not to mention returning to its previous state when server restarts) within the doom engine?

That seems true. You would require save games, so it would not work with online-specific engines, but it would be possible in "single player" engines like ZDoom or GZDoom, with small groups of players. That would make it an RPG, with classes and an emphasis on multiplayer, but not something like an MMO.

Fable comes to mind here, actually. Not an MMO, but a particularly fun RPG in my eyes. I would like to see something like that implemented in DooM.

myk said:

That seems true. You would require save games, so it would not work with online-specific engines, but it would be possible in "single player" engines like ZDoom or GZDoom, with small groups of players. That would make it an RPG, with classes and an emphasis on multiplayer, but not something like an MMO.

I remember that some people were toying with this idea over on the Skulltag forums before they sucked. The best idea was that each player's "levels" or other persistent data could be represented by a handful of variables and be saved onto the player's own computer in a config file and reloaded later when the player re-enters the server. Unfortunately, players being able to edit their own stats is a major problem, and I'm not sure that even this system is technically possible. Can Skulltag mods define and set their own variables?

myk said:

If, as I assume, what he said is that he got the idea from playing WOW, his statement is sensible and valid. An idea doesn't need to be original to be an idea. Relative originality notwithstanding, ideas are primarily reworkings of previous ideas.

Yes, I suppose you're right - I had thought Dee was saying the mod would be based on WOW.

I bet you could also have a map where "leveling up" is done on the group level. The progress of the group would be stored on the server, and anyone who joined would be bumped up to have whatever items/abilities are available to everyone else.

when I say based on the idea of WOW, it was only because I play WOW regularly so it was the first thing came to mind lol
The engine is one we created using Doom graphics, it doesnt use the original doom engine in any way.
its a sky view mmorpg, looks like zelda almost except of course using doom graphics and textures. My family owns a computer company and we are an ISP here. I have access to plenty of server space.

-there are two factions. Marines and Hellspawn.
-you choose marines, you are given subclasses. scientist, engineer,space marine, etc.
-you choose hellspawn, you have subclasses also, summoner, demon, gatekeeper, etc.
-marines start off in a uac base, demons start off in hell of course.
-marines rely on their gate technology to transport to different areas, engineers can create gates.
-hellspawn rely on gates also to get to different areas, the gatekeepers create the gates.
-there will probably only be two servers, phobos and deimos.

we have been working on this project for a good while now, I might post up some screens later, although we would rather just let it hit the community all at once rather than give away the entire project bit by bit. i think it would be much better to play if you step right into it.

Creaphis said:

I remember that some people were toying with this idea over on the Skulltag forums before they sucked. The best idea was that each player's "levels" or other persistent data could be represented by a handful of variables and be saved onto the player's own computer in a config file and reloaded later when the player re-enters the server. Unfortunately, players being able to edit their own stats is a major problem, and I'm not sure that even this system is technically possible.

Ideally the player config file should never leave the server, since that'll make cheating more difficult. With the server managing player stats and saves all that then needs to be sent to the player is an ID token.

It would have to be server side data that could only be accessed by someone with server access. When the player logs back in, all the stats would re-load from the server.

Katamori said:

I'll try it when you can upload a demo or the finished game...

I never said that I was ever going to actually do anything. I was just throwing the idea out there for discussion.

bgraybr said:

I never said that I was ever going to actually do anything. I was just throwing the idea out there for discussion.

oh... okay, I didn't know that :D

Well, I think, it is a good idea. I like every modifications, which changes the original Doom gameplay, like Stronghold, Action Doom 1 & 2, Doom RPG for mobiles, etc., so this looks interesting. But in my opinion, it's needed a lot of ACS scripting and others.