Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

The /idgames/levels/doom Exploration Demo Thread (New: random selection 2 by 4shock)

UPDATE (6/25/2010 11:34 PM PDT): As of today, my former webhost is dead. Thus, I have edited all of the demo links in this thread and the posts listed below to point elsewhere. These new links are temporary until I get a new webhost.

Starting in March, I decided to continue Michael Novikov's campaign to record demos on every level in idgames/levels/doom, which Never Again has been doing from the opposite end of the archive. My previous demos for this mission were published in the miscellaneous demo thread posts below:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/859114 - dethe1m1.WAD, Death Factory, Death Flows Everywhere (NOTE: Post includes a 2010 WAD unrelated to the campaign.)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/859818 - DETHSTAR.WAD, DETHTRAP.WAD, DETHWALK.WAD, Escape from Planet Deum
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/860407 - DEVIL.WAD, The Devil Incarnate, Death Field, DIAMOND1.WAD, Annex Of Death, Kingdom of Death
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/862212 - DickWad
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/863441 - DIE.WAD, DIEFAST!, DIESCUM.WAD, BITEBWAD.WAD, The DILLY wad, Dimension Gate

Now, I have dedicated a thread to this campaign, to call further attention to it and ensure that my demos are easier to find. It is also my hope that people will be inspired to record demos on the WADs I have played. To open this thread, I have published a demo pack for the 1996 Doom episode Dinner, the next WAD after Dimension Gate. It is a surprisingly good episode, and should provide entertainment to players and viewers alike.

DINR-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for Dinner (DINNER.WAD) by Damian Pawlukanis

• D2N1-349.LMP - E2M1 in 3:49
  • D2N2-502.LMP - E2M2 in 5:02
  • D2N3-534.LMP - E2M3 in 5:34
  • D2N4-633.LMP - E2M4 in 6:33
  • D2N5-739.LMP - E2M5 in 7:39
  • D2N6-640.LMP - E2M6 in 6:40
  • D2N7-825.LMP - E2M7 in 8:25
  • D2N8-608.LMP - E2M8 in 6:08
  • D2N9-408.LMP - E2M9 in 4:08
While creating this demo pack, I dusted off my old YouTube channel from 2007, and this demo pack can now be viewed without the aid of a source port. Click here to access a YouTube playlist featuring videos of each demo. Note that at the moment, only E2M1-8 have videos uploaded; a video for the last remaining demo will be uploaded by the end of the day. UPDATE (4/5/2010 2:10 PM PDT): All demos have videos now.

Enjoy!

i am your faithful follower, watching your campaign like a weekly soap opera. :) it's a good idea to have a separate thread, perhaps you could ask myk to move your previous demos in here as well? anyways, keep up the good work. and by the way, your style is getting sharper with time.

dew said:

i am your faithful follower, watching your campaign like a weekly soap opera. :) it's a good idea to have a separate thread, perhaps you could ask myk to move your previous demos in here as well? anyways, keep up the good work. and by the way, your style is getting sharper with time.

If my previous posts were moved in this thread, they would show up before my opening post because they were posted earlier. At some point, I'm going to repost them here, likely with YouTube videos.

Speaking of which, you can catch previews of my upcoming demo postings on my YouTube channel. I'm still looking for an efficient way to encode high-quality, 640×480 video (meant to simulate someone playing the game on a regular monitor) from my DOSBox captures and have it look good on YouTube... while having comparatively small filesize. The YouTube masters of my videos have generally been 400-600 MB in size and it usually takes about an hour or so to upload them. And that's if my connection doesn't drop in the middle! I mean, damn!

Last, but not least, thank you. It's nice to know I've actually improved one way or another.

You're going through the archive alphabetically? I guess that works, but completing this mission (if that's even possible) would require that you go back to the As eventually to record wads that have been uploaded more recently, and then the Bs, and Cs, and etc.

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed you're recording on the levels in /doom, not /doom2... I suppose new wads don't show up in there very often.

Creaphis said:

You're going through the archive alphabetically? I guess that works, but completing this mission (if that's even possible) would require that you go back to the As eventually to record wads that have been uploaded more recently, and then the Bs, and Cs, and etc.

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed you're recording on the levels in /doom, not /doom2... I suppose new wads don't show up in there very often.

That's exactly what I intend to do eventually. This will also include improvements on levels that Michael Novikov already did, as he had a... uh, leisurely playing style, to say the least.

In any case, here's a little diversion from my intended schedule. The next level after Dinner was the third entry in a four-WAD series, and so I decided the only proper way to handle it would be to do the entire series in order. And so, here they are. Some of the demos have YouTube videos as well, in case you don't have immediate access to doom.exe or a source port, and links to the YouTube versions will be posted beside them. Check them out.

UCA-TGH.ZIP - Demos for UCA (UCA.WAD) by Eddie Nguyen

• UCA-624.LMP - UV max in 6:24 (YT)
  • UCA-213.LMP - UV speed in 2:13
TALP-TGH.ZIP - Demos for TALPOIDA (TALPOIDA.WAD) by Eddie Nguyen
  • TALP-645.LMP - UV max in 6:45 (YT)
  • TALP-237.LMP - UV speed in 2:37
DIOP-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIOPATRA (DIOPATRA.WAD) by Eddie Nguyen
  • DIOP-637.LMP - UV max in 6:37 (YT)
  • DIOP-010.LMP - UV speed in 0:10
  • DIOPa104.LMP - "Alternate route" UV speed (no glitch exit) in 1:04
  • DIOPn009.LMP - NM speed in 0:09 (YT; starts at 1:18)
  • DIOPn107.LMP - "Alternate route" NM speed (no glitch exit) in 1:07 (YT)
SAPI-TGH.ZIP - Demos for SAPIDUS (SAPIDUSB.WAD) by Eddie Nguyen
  • SAPI1155.LMP - UV max in 11:55 (YT - Part 1 and Part 2)
  • SAPIa009.LMP - UV speed in 0:09 on SAPIDUS.WAD, the first release. (See comments for for information; WAD is included in the demo .ZIP in case the link goes down for any reason.)
With all of that done, I'm back on schedule!

EDIT (4/13/2010 3:54 PM PDT): Added the YouTube video for my SAPIDUS UV max demo, which, due to YouTube's ten-minute limit, is a two-part video.
EDIT (4/13/2010 7:42 PM PDT): Forgot to mention I have a playlist for the video versions as well.

Today marks the release of the first demos I created after getting back on schedule. It starts off with two decent levels, and ends with an interesting level, a not-so-good level, and a level which is great for its era. And right between those is what I consider one of the most unintentionally hilarious WADs ever. The last two WADs in this list don't have YouTube videos, but they should be up soon. Enjoy!

DTRK-356.ZIP - UV max on dirtytrk (DIRTYTRK.WAD) by Bob Caryl in 3:56 (YT)
DIS-428.ZIP - UV max on Disdain.WAD (DIS.WAD) by Jason Ingram in 4:28 (YT)
DSGR-TGH.ZIP - UV movies on Disgruntled Former Employee (v.5) (DISGRUN5.WAD and DISGSPR.WAD) by Larry Mulcahy

• DSGR1313.LMP - UV max in 13:13 (YT - E1M1 and E1M2)
  • DSGR-123.LMP - UV speed in 1:23 (YT)
  • DISGRUNX.WAD - Patch file which makes some changes to TEXTURE1, required to play back the max demo in doom.exe due to a programming error; read the text file for an explanation.
  • On that note: I recommend you read the text file even if you don't need that explanation. ;)
DISP-320.ZIP - UV max on Doom Display Case (DISPLAY.WAD) by David Pfitzner in 3:20 (YT)
DIVO-TGH.ZIP - UV demos on Blood,sweat and tears (DIVORCE.WAD) by Jonathan Shaw
  • DIVO-445.LMP - UV max in 4:45 (YT)
  • DIVO-138.LMP - UV speed in 1:38 (YT)
  • DIVORCEX.WAD - Alternate version of the WAD with its BLOCKMAP rebuilt, required to play the level outside of doom.exe and to play back the demos. (See the text file for an explanation.)
DJW-TGH.ZIP - UV demos on DJW11.WAD by Don Wood
  • DJW-257.LMP - UV max in 2:57 (YT)
  • DJW-047.LMP - UV speed in 0:47 (YT)
  • NOTE: These two demos were recorded, and their text file written, for an entirely different and unannounced campaign that I undertook last year, but never finished. The text file was written as if it were to be posted after the previous demo recorded for that campaign, so be aware that it may look a bit strange.
EDIT (4/27/2010 11:57 PM PDT:) Added YouTube video links for the Blood,sweat and tears demos.
EDIT (4/28/2010 5:45 PM PDT:) Added YouTube video links for the DJW11.WAD demos.

the way you need to patch the wads to record anything is insane, i'm not sure how much time you've got before you snap and embark on a slightly different max quest - to kill all the bad mappers in /doom, alphabetically. :)

anyways, the djw11 demo is sweet. the map looks so much more dynamic and compact than the usual Empty Hallways of 1994 Scary that it lets the demo stand out and show your skill in a flashier way. good job.

Ah, cool, I was wondering when the next installment would come.

dew said:
the way you need to patch the wads to record anything is insane, i'm not sure how much time you've got before you snap and embark on a slightly different max quest - to kill all the bad mappers in /doom, alphabetically. :)

Heh, part of the blame probably goes to the early tools, though.

Today's demo post starts off looking rather familiar. Indeed, I have reposted the demos from my first two posts regarding this campaign in this thread. But there's a good reason for doing so: It's because they now have YouTube videos! Check the list below to find video versions of certain, previously-published demos.

D1T1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for dethe1m1.WAD by Frederick J. Bradley

• D1T1-018.LMP - UV speed in 0:18
  • D1T1-102.LMP - UV max in 1:02 (YT)
DFAC-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Death Factory (DETHFACT.WAD) by "Steve"
  • DFAC-008.LMP - UV speed in 0:08.29
  • DFAC-022.LMP - UV max in 0:22.83 (YT)
DFLW-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Death Flows Everywhere (DETHFLOW.WAD) by John Bullock
  • DFLW-154.LMP - UV speed in 1:54
  • DFLW-531.LMP - UV max in 5:31 (YT)
DSTR-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DETHSTAR.WAD by Jackson Harvey
  • DSTR-047.LMP - UV speed in 0:47
  • DSTR-218.LMP - UV max in 2:18 (YT)
DTRP1042.ZIP - UV max on DETHTRAP.WAD by Tony Donno in 10:42 (YT)

DWLK-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DETHWALK.WAD by Bradley Hoza
  • DWLK-020.LMP - UV max in 0:20.89 (YT)
  • DWLKa048.LMP - "Alternate route" UV max (no BFG) in 0:48.63 (YT)
  • DWLK-003.LMP - UV speed/pacifist in 0:03.57
DEUM-540.ZIP - UV max on Escape from Planet Deum (DEUM.WAD) by Tony Priest in 5:40 (YT)

The next part of this post, however, is in unfamiliar territory. Here is a pack of UV max demos for a WAD that was previously recorded on by two other WAD archaeologists, and is most remarkable for the author's... interesting sense of aesthetics. Check these out, and enjoy!

DKHL-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for DARKHELL.WAD by Greytale
  • D2H1-315.LMP - E2M1: Dark Dome Stairs in 3:15
  • D2H2-354.LMP - E2M2: Grey Halls of Blood in 3:54
  • D2H3-243.LMP - E2M3: Holy Moly! in 2:43
  • D2H4-218.LMP - E2M4: Forest of Armour in 2:18
  • D2H5-328.LMP - E2M5: Silver Mirror in 3:28
  • D2H6-821.LMP - E2M6: BEWARE in 8:21
  • D2H7-447.LMP - E2M7: Ankh Cliffs in 4:47
  • D2H8-209.LMP - E2M8: Tower of Demons in 2:09
  • D2H8-358.LMP - E2M9: Blood Cells in 3:58
A YouTube video playlist for this WAD can be found here. Not all the videos are there yet, but all of them will be online within a week.

Thought this was dead, didn't you? Or, well, you would've if you hadn't viewed my YouTube channel. Today, I officially publish the next set of demos in this campaign, which I previously released as YouTube videos. First, I move forward just a little, to tackle the most recent WAD encountered thus far (well, as recent as one year ago, at least,) and a misplaced Doom II level which happens to be terrible!

DL-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for Deadline (deadline.wad) by Adam "Khorus" Woodmansey

• D1L1-307.LMP - E1M1 in 3:07 (YT)
  • D1L2-412.LMP - E1M2 in 4:12 (YT)
  • D1L3-344.LMP - E1M3 in 3:44 (YT)
DLTF-503.ZIP - UV max on Delightful Level 1 (DLTFUL1.WAD) by J.C. Starbird in 5:03 (YT)
  • NOTE: Requires Doom II!
After that, I travel back to DETHARNA.WAD, the last WAD Maikl recorded on for the campaign, and from there, I take on eight more levels that occur earlier in /d-f/, including a bunch that he didn't record on because they weren't in the archive at the time! Presented in reverse order, my journey takes me through a deathmatch level; an intended deathmatch level which is way too huge for its purpose; a two-level WAD with unpolished design by another unknown author; a horrible mess of a WAD; a level with a notably tall room, which is good if you don't mind long elevator rides; a big and surprisingly good level; a worthless piece of crap with the same filename meant for Kingdom of Death (previously covered;) another WAD with an identical filename that's even worse than the last; and finally, to cleanse the palate, a decent WAD with a cyberdemon that no sane man would try fighting. I believe the max demo for that particular WAD is worth watching to see me do exactly that. ;) Without further ado, here they are:

DRNA-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DETHARNA.WAD by Mike Treffry
  • DRNA-250.LMP - UV max in 2:50 (YT) [Maikl: 6:32]
  • DRNA-025.LMP - UV speed in 0:25
DTH1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DETH1.WAD by André Lucas
  • DTH1-440.LMP - UV max in 4:40 (YT) [Maikl: 8:02]
  • DTH1-139.LMP - UV speed in 1:39
DEST-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for Destruction! (DESTRUCT.WAD), by an unknown author
  • D1S1-455.LMP - E1M1 in 4:55 (YT)
  • D1S2-057.LMP - E1M2 in 0:57
DSTC-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DESTRCT (DESTRCT.WAD) by Jim Weis
  • DSTC-408.LMP - UV max in 4:08 (YT)
  • DSTC-041.LMP - UV speed in 0:41 (YT)
DST1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Destiny1.WAD by Ron Pollard
  • DST1-445.LMP - UV max in 4:45 (YT) [Maikl: 9:45]
  • DST1-038.LMP - UV speed in 0:38 (YT; starts at 2:05)
  • DST1-154.LMP - "Alternate route" UV speed (takes both keys) in 1:54 (YT)
DSP2-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Despair (DESPAIR.WAD) by David L. Farrington
  • DSP21212.LMP - UV max in 12:12 (YT - Part 1 and Part 2)
  • DSP2-134.LMP - UV speed w/ normal exit in 1:34
  • DSP2s158.LMP - UV speed w/ secret exit in 1:58
DSP1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Pits of Despair (DESPAIR.WAD) by Alex Hanson
  • DSP2-244.LMP - UV max in 2:44 (YT)
  • DSP2-018.LMP - UV speed in 0:18
DSPR-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Despair.wad by Paul Thureen
  • DSPR-245.LMP - UV max in 2:45 (YT) [Maikl: 4:12]
  • DSPR-107.LMP - UV speed in 1:07
DPTH-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DEPTHS OF DOOM (DEPTHS.WAD) by Richard Torquato
  • DPTH-823.LMP - UV max in 8:23 (YT)
  • DPTH-253.LMP - UV speed in 2:53
As you can see, the last WAD doesn't have a YouTube video yet. It'll come after I wake up in the morning. For now, enjoy!

EDIT (6/17/2010 2:46 PM PDT): DEPTHS OF DOOM has a YouTube video now.

Here is my tardy entry into this most excellent thread. Picking up where the June 20th DSDA update left off.

• WOODY18.WAD by Nick Olman - UV Max in 8:00
  • WOODHAL2.WAD by David Damerell - UV Max in 4:09. The WAD is a very slightly different version of the author's older WOODHALL.WAD that I GMed as part of the WADPAK3 demopak.
  • WOOD.WAD by Ryan Shephard - UV Max in 9:39
  • WOLF2.WAD (included with the demos) by John R. Chapman - two demos: a HMP Max in 1:55 and a UV Max in 8:10 - I just submitted this '94 WAD to /idgames today, that's why it's included in the ZIP with the demos. See the TXT file for the explanation about the HMP run.
  • WOLF.WAD by David Meurin - UV Max in 9:34
  • WOGA11.WAD by Wolfgang Grassl - UV Max in 2:53 - another level you may find familiar if you watched the WADPAK2 demopak
  • WIZDOOM.WAD by Anthony "Wizard" Marino and Sal "Washee" Gonzalez - UV Max in 6:03
  • WIZDOOM2.WAD by the same authors - UV Max in 24:46 - the demo also plays back with WIZDM2_5.WAD!
  • WIZDM3_5.WAD again by the same authors - UV Max in 7:34 - the last and best in the series
  • WILLIAM1.WAD by Satchi Inoue - a three-level UV Max mini-movie in 13:21
  • WILLE1M1.WAD by William Leslie - UV Max in 3:13
  • WIDOWMKR.WAD by Mark Harrison - UV Max in 10:49
And now a few detours. First, my (and skepticist's) first ever coop demo on a rather inconsequential early DM WAD that for some reason wound up in the solo/coop repository; followed by two WADs (not demoed by Mike) that logically should have been in the /0-9 directory but reside elsewhere, because Unix file systems don't allow a ! in the filenames. Then a classic episode from the Serenity series that badly needed a modern demopak. And lastly, an incredibly buggy WAD that all ports hate and only vanilla loves.
  • 11INHELL.WAD by Josh a.k.a. Phallus - Coop UV Speed in 0:19 - requires at least two players to activate the exit.
  • !CSRE2M1.WAD by Clint Russell - UV Max in 8:03
  • !POIS!.WAD by Jon Landis - UV Max in 5:35 - woohoo! another ingenious level by the author of !PIPE!.WAD ;)
  • INFINITY.WAD by Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath - eight UV Max demos:
     map   | title                                 | kills | secrets | time
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------
     E1M1  | Three Is A Magic Number               |  100  |    83   | 4:52
     E1M2  | Say Jazz To Another Excess            |  100  |   100   | 5:30
     E1M3  | Beat It!                              |  100  |   100   | 6:52
     E1M4  | Everybody Frag Now                    |  100  |   100   | 6:12
     E1M5  | Dungeons Of Doom                      |  100  |   100   | 4:50
     E1M6  | Who's Afraid Of Red, Yellow And Blue? |  100  |   100   | 9:17
     E1M7  | Blaze Of Glory                        |  100  |   100   | 6:39
     E1M8  | StarGate Into Infinity                |  100  |   100   | 8:57
  • YELLOW.WAD (included with the demos) by unknown author - UV Max in 20:54 - A large, tough WAD that is not in the /idgames archive and cannot be submitted there because it has no TXT file. The level (but not this demo) can crash any port in existence, including Chocolate DOOM, prBoom, prBoom-plus (except the latest v2.5.0.7 test version) and ZDoom - 2 short example demos.
Please note that all the above are WADs from the classic era, which I chose to define as the period from 1994 to the end of 1997 (DOOM source code release). Any contributions to fill the (relatively few) resulting gaps are welcome. And I'm sure neither Eric nor I will mind if somebody decides to help out from the middle of the alphabet - or any other point of his choice, for that matter. ;)

Thank you for the demos, N_A! (Now I won't have to play 11INHELL.WAD. :D )

Meanwhile, here are some more older demos that I'm reposting in this thread because they're on YouTube now. Check them out again if you wish.

ANNX-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Annex Of Death (ANNEX.WAD) by Ryan McGrail

• ANNX-019.LMP - UV speed in 0:19
  • ANNX-040.LMP - UV max in 0:40 (YT)
DEVL-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DEVIL.WAD by Eric Falsken
  • DEVL-032.LMP - UV speed in 0:32
  • DEVL-343.LMP - UV max in 3:43 (YT)
DETH-TGH.ZIP - UV movies for Kingdom of Death (DEATH.WAD) by Eric Falsken and Ryan McGrail
  • DETH-052.LMP - UV speed movie in 0:52 (YT)
  • DETH-418.LMP - UV max movie in 4:18
DVIN-TGH.ZIP - Demos for The Devil Incarnate (DEVINC.WAD) by Dave Peacock
  • DVIN-026.LMP - UV speed in 0:26
  • DVIN-052.LMP - UV max in 0:52 (YT)
DFLD-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Death Field (DFIELD.WAD) by Adam Holz
  • DFLD-008.LMP - UV speed in 0:08.49
  • DFLD-110.LMP - UV max in 1:10.23 (YT)
DIAM-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIAMOND1.WAD*, by an unknown author
  • DIAM-008.LMP - UV speed in 0:08 (YT)
  • DIAM-038.LMP - UV max in 0:38 (YT)
  • DIAMo002.LMP - UV -nomonsters in 0:02
* Only DIAMOND1.WAD was recorded on, as DIAMOND2.WAD is just the same level with larger pillars.

And now for the real reason for this post: Today, I completed demos for a set of 11 levels by one Simo Malinen. Their filenames start with the same three characters, but their contents couldn't be any more different. With just three exceptions, all of them are fun to play. You ought to try them out before watching these demos. :) In any case, because they were all uploaded to the archives on the same day, I did each one in order from oldest to newest based on their timestamps. Enjoy!

DLST-348.ZIP - UV max on STONE BASE (DL_STONE.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 3:48 (YT)
DLSH-226.ZIP - UV max on SHADES (DL_SHADE.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 2:26 (YT)
DLWD-325.ZIP - UV max on WOOD BASE (DL_WOOD.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 3:25 (YT)
DLDK-347.ZIP - UV max on DARK BASE (DL_DARK.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 3:47 (YT)
DLUF-036.ZIP - UV max on UFO (DL_UFO.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 0:36 (YT)
DLAL-340.ZIP - UV max on ALLEYS (DL_ALLEY.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 3:40 (YT)
DLDL-259.ZIP - UV max on DRILLING STATION (DL_DRILL.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 2:59 (YT)
DLBX-TGH.ZIP - Demos on BOX (DL_BOX.WAD) by Simo Malinen
  • DLBX-128.LMP - UV max in 1:28 (YT)
  • DLBXp019.LMP - UV pacifist in 0:19 (YT)
DLDT-445.ZIP - UV max on DOWNTOWN (DL_DTOWN.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 4:45 (YT)
DLPL-306.ZIP - UV max on POLAR STATION (DL_POLAR.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 3:06 (YT)
DLNT-649.ZIP - UV max on NUCLEAR RESEARCH - REACTOR ROOMS (DL_NUTEK.WAD) by Simo Malinen in 6:49 (YT)
  • DLNTo159.LMP - UV -nomonsters demo in 1:59 which demonstrates a shortcut at the blue key
Note that not all of these WADs have YouTube videos just yet, but they should all be published by tomorrow at the very latest. At that point, I will update this post.

EDIT (9:09 PM PDT): Added a Simo Malinen level demo I accidentally left out of the list. D'oh!
EDIT (7/19/2010 2:29 AM PDT): All of the Simo Malinen levels have YouTube videos now.

Finally, I can release a new demo pack for this campaign. I apologize for how long it took for me to post this; it got stalled for many reasons, one of which was being occupied by other stuff. First, though, here's the usual YouTube video repost, this time of my demo pack for the nefarious DickWad.

DKWD-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for DickWad (DICKWAD.WAD) by Warren Racz, Mark Rempel, and Vinzez Barut

• D3K1-110.LMP - E3M1 in 1:10 (YT)
  • D3K2-319.LMP - E3M2 in 3:19 (YT)
  • D3K3-649.LMP - E3M3 in 6:49 (YT)
  • D3K4-712.LMP - E3M4 in 7:12 (YT)
  • D3K5-511.LMP - E3M5 in 5:11 (YT)
  • D3K6-539.LMP - E3M6 in 5:39 (YT)
  • D3K7-529.LMP - E3M7 in 5:29 (YT)
  • D3K8-107.LMP - E3M8 in 1:07 (WARNING: requires original, registered Doom v1.9, or PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 added to the command line; see text file for details) (YT)
  • D3K9-235.LMP - E3M9 in 2:35 (YT)
  • D1K1-451.LMP - E1M1 in 4:51 (YT)
A playlist for these videos can be found here.

Now for the new demos themselves, which are for a 1996 episode replacement that's... quite forgettable, really. That's just what I think, anyway; you be the judge! In any case, here they are. Enjoy!

EPI1-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for John's little dream world for DOOM 1 (EPISODE1.WAD) by John Gaughan
  • E111-207.LMP - E1M1 in 2:07 (YT)
  • E112-317.LMP - E1M2 in 3:17 (YT)
  • E113-304.LMP - E1M3 in 3:04 (YT)
  • E114-236.LMP - E1M4 in 2:36 (YT)
  • E115-516.LMP - E1M5 in 5:16 (YT)
  • E116-358.LMP - E1M6 in 3:58 (YT)
  • E117-455.LMP - E1M7 in 4:55 (YT)
  • E118-103.LMP - E1M8 in 1:03 (YT)
  • E119-110.LMP - E1M9 in 1:10 (YT)
A playlist for these videos may be found here.

EDIT (10:07 PM PDT): Fixed incorrect link.

I watched your run through John's little dream world. At times, it seemed like they'd be fun little levels to blast through. Usually, though, I found myself surprised at how sick I was getting of hearing doors open.

Well done, Eric! More like "John's little secret world," yeah. I played through it just now before watching the runs and missed most of those secrets. I thought that BFG in level 3 was a booby trap, heh, and didn't try to get it. I seem to remember the author occasionally posting at the r.g.c.d Usenet newsgroups (at Google groups.)

Today, we start off with the very last YouTube repost. After this, only demos not already published prior to the Dinner pack will be posted here. This time, though, there's one difference: DIE.WAD has a new UV max demo that exits six seconds faster, because I missed a single baron in the older one. The older demo is included for archival purposes. In addition, its text file has been updated with a bunch of information I mistakenly left out of the original publication. Without further ado:

DIE-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIE.WAD by Jonathan DeValentine

• DIE-341.LMP - UV max in 3:41 (YT)
  • DIE-347.LMP - original published UV max in 3:47 (misses one baron)
  • DIE-119.LMP - UV speed in 1:19
DFST-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIEFAST! (DIEFAST.WAD) by Jawed Karim
  • DFST-140.LMP - UV max in 1:40 (YT)
  • DFST-041.LMP - UV speed in 0:41
  • DFSTp043.LMP - UV pacifist in 0:43
DSCM-116.ZIP - UV max on DIESCUM.WAD, author unknown, in 1:16.49 (YT) (NOTE: The level has no exit; the time is the exact moment the last enemy dies.)
  • DIESCUMF.WAD - DIESCUM.WAD with a rebuilt REJECT; required for playback
  • DIESCUMX.WAD - Alternate version of DIESCUMF.WAD with music that works in all source ports (see text file for details)
BTBW-TGH.ZIP - Demos for BITEBWAD.WAD by Andy Leaver
  • B1W1-028.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 0:28 (YT)
  • B1W2-105.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 1:05 (YT)
  • B1W3-138.LMP - UV max on E1M3 in 1:38 (YT)
  • B1W1-018.LMP - UV speed on E1M1 in 0:18 (YT)
  • B1W2-025.LMP - UV speed on E1M2 in 0:25 (YT)
  • B1W3-044.LMP - UV speed on E1M3 in 0:44 (YT)
DILL-TGH.ZIP - Demos for The DILLY wad (DILL.WAD) by Dan Dorn
  • DIL1-257.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 2:57 (YT)
  • DIL21037.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 10:37 (YT)
  • DIL2-BUG.LMP - UV -nomonsters demonstration of a nodebuilding error (!) in E1M2 (YT)
DMGT-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Dimension Gate (DIMGATE.WAD) by Martin Rice
  • DMGT-833.LMP - UV max in 8:33 (YT)
  • DMGT-136.LMP - UV speed in 1:36
Now, on to the new demos! Sadly, a lot of the levels played in this set are terrible or at least mediocre. DOOM ANOMALY and APOCALYPSE are the exceptions. You ought to watch all of the demos anyway, though, even if just to laugh. Enjoy.

ALN1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Alone (?) in the Dark (ALONE1.WAD) by Patrick "Havoc" Mills
  • ALN1-055.LMP - UV max in 0:55 (YT)
  • ALN1-038.LMP - UV speed in 0:38
AMAN-TGH.ZIP - Demos for the WADs in dmaman.zip by Chris Davais
  • AMAN-208.LMP - UV max on AMANDA.WAD in 2:08 (YT)
  • AMAN-029.LMP - UV speed on AMANDA.WAD in 0:29
  • AMN2-429.LMP - UV max on AMANDA2.WAD in 4:29 (YT)
  • AMN2-048.LMP - UV speed on AMANDA2.WAD in 0:48
DMAN-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DOOM ANOMALY (DMANMLY.WAD) by Lee Dixon
  • DMAN-334.LMP - UV max in 3:34 (YT)
  • DMAN-159.LMP - UV speed in 1:59
APOC-TGH.ZIP - Demos for APOCALYPSE (APOCLPSE.WAD) by Tim Ash
  • APOC-939.LMP - UV max in 9:39 (YT)
  • APOC-254.LMP - UV speed in 2:54
DMTX-TGH.ZIP - Demos for The Matrix (MATRIX.WAD) by Donald Cathcart
  • DMTX-453.LMP - UV max in 4:53 (YT)
  • DMTX-132.LMP - UV speed in 1:32
AWPF-TGH.ZIP - Demos for A Warm Place : Final (AWP11F.WAD) by Dave Matteson
  • AWPF-331.LMP - UV max in 3:31 (YT)
  • AWPFf411.LMP - UV -fast in 4:11
  • AWPF-116.LMP - UV speed in 1:16
BRNH-TGH.ZIP - Demos for BARONHSE.WAD by Erick
  • BRNH-134.LMP - UV max in 1:34 (YT)
  • BRNH-010.LMP - UV speed/pacifist in 0:10
  • BRNHa025.LMP - UV speed/pacifist with the blue key in 0:25
0010-TGH.ZIP - Demos for E1M20010.WAD by Albert Eric van der Most
  • 0010-155.LMP - UV max in 1:55 (YT)
  • 0010a240.LMP - "1-player co-op" UV max in 2:40
  • 0010-024.LMP - UV speed/pacifist in 0:24 (YT)
Not all of these have YouTube videos yet, of course. Expect to see them added here by the end of Monday.

EDIT (9/28/2010 3:43 PM PDT): I actually did upload the videos by the end of Monday, but forgot to add them here. D'oh! Here they are. In addition, I fixed some typos and added a video I uploaded today (the one for 0010-024.LMP, made at the suggestion of another user.)

dew said:

AMN2-429.LMP is a completely surreal experience...

Surreal as in, this map is so unbelievably bad, it boggles your mind? That was my feeling.

Hats off to TGH for summoning up the willpower to record on these abominations.

After a slight pause the quest continues.

WICKED.WAD by Ken Seaman - Tyson (fist only) in 8:25 - typical 1994 fare, notable only for an unmarked exit switch halfway through the level.
WELL.WAD by Phil Roberts - UV Max in 4:30 - a much more polished offering, being from 1996. Pretty small but with an interesting bug that fortunately didn't occur in this demo (see the TXT for details).

And an ancient WAD that just made it into /idgames and the latest /newstuff chronicle (#377):
KADEATH.WAD by David Pezzato (oddly, the TXT file calls it "monster.wad"). Despite the scathing review I found it a blast to speed through and did two demos: a UV Max (using BFG only) in 10:00 (! ;) and a Nightmare Pacifist in 0:48 0:44. I guess I must thank both RjY who wanted to see this WAD demoed in this thread and st.alfonzo for drawing my attention to the WAD with his beautifully-written-yet-completely-misguided review. ;)

edit: ZIP re-uploaded with a new, faster NM/P that doesn't desync.

Never_Again said:

two demos: a UV Max (using BFG only) in 10:00 (! ;) and a Nightmare Pacifist in 0:48.

The Max plays back OK for me, but the NM Pacifist desyncs near the start with both prb+ and choc. A bit puzzling.

Bummer, it desyncs early on in vanilla, too. During the run the player had 70%+ health leaving the big room full of Sarges at the start, but now it drops down to 40-something on playback. There's nothing in stdout.txt to indicate anything funny. I think I picked some bad voodoo from TendaMonsta, lol!

For a few minutes I was a bit upset about the time wasted on that run (admittedly, the UV Max took a lot longer), but when I set down to re-record I got a 0:47 on the second try and a couple minutes later - 0:44! And this last plays back correctly in prB+ and vanilla. So it's for the best, after all - thank you, Grazza. ;)

I re-uploaded the ZIP with the new run and an updated TXT - same link. Still wonder how a NM run could desync where a UV Max does not...

Yeah, that's odd. It's looking like maybe using the extended format occasionally causes some gunk to be added into the lmp file. But how or why, and why it doesn't happen consistently, remain unclear. I have attached your desynching demo in case anyone wants to investigate. (Hope you don't mind.)

kadethnp_desync.zip

That's interesting! Looks like most of the demos there are on the WADs Maikl covered ten years ago. Since you record with -fast there's no duplication, really. It will be fun to see some of those WADs done GM-style; 21RATMAZ, for example, should be a pain (your time - almost 3X of Maikl's UV Max - seems to support this guess ;).

The only odd thing is that you recorded with -complevel 2, that's a bit unusual. -complevel 3 has been the standard for DOOM1 demos for a long time except for a handful of WADs that utilize pre-Ultimate tag 666 behavior. Of these I can only think of UAC_DEAD, WOPWORLD and NUKEMINE at the moment, and the last one only needs -complevel 2 on skills 1-3.

I think most of DOOM1 demos play back fine with either vanilla exec, though. Still, better safe than sorry.

And I see Ryback started working his way through F* WADs. If we stick to classical-period WADs, the four of us may actually get the job done in a year or two.

On 21ratmaz I got lost for a good half hour. Did not have a real route or any planning. Some day I ill probably go back and work on my times.
My only rule for demos is to just reach the exit, so it makes some terrible demos.
Scrchht I could take an easy 20 minutes off. It can likely be done in under an hour, but thats just way too much time of my day.

I try to use the best -complevel. I use text file for exact version, release date or file date to determine. If something was released before 1996 ill use -complevel 1(maybe). I need to reread the exe release dates.

Never_Again said:

And I see Ryback started working his way through F* WADs. If we stick to classical-period WADs, the four of us may actually get the job done in a year or two.

A post should be coming on those soon with the actual demo files.

Catoptromancy said:

I try to use the best -complevel. I use text file for exact version, release date or file date to determine.

For demos the best -complevel is the one that allows playback with the widest variety of engines without having to jump through hoops. That's why we have the recommended -complevels thread stickied in this forum.

Catoptromancy said:

If something was released before 1996 ill use -complevel 1(maybe). I need to reread the exe release dates.

v1.666 (emulated by -complevel 1) was released on September 1 1994. All WADs older than that were developed on v1.2. Although there are only two engines that can record and play back v1.2 demos properly - DOOM.EXE v1.2 and prB+ v2.5.0.8 and later (-complevel 0), I can see why someone would record -complevel 0 demos on the old WADs: the gameplay is distinctly different. Recording with -complevel 1 makes no sense to me, though - same gameplay, fewer engines to play back with ... shrug.

Ryback said:

A post should be coming on those soon with the actual demo files.

Great! Looking forward to seeing them at the sweet old 320x200 without YT "enhancements". ;)

On with the exploration quest.

• WIN7 (heh) by unknown author - a GM run in 7:16 and a NM Speed in 1:07 - demo ZIP. A pretty crappy WAD, 79% kills max thanks to 20+ monsters being outside the map.
  • The Black Widow (BLACKWID.WAD) by Ole J. Kielland is an early "sexy" WAD (see Test 2 Kill for another example). Maikl did a decent UV Max for it eight years ago (DSDA link) and like Qaatar I'm not fond of beating other ppl's demos (except they are painfully slow), so I did a NM Speed in 0:32 instead.
  • WHITE by Stephen J. Woods - a UV Max in 5:26 and a NM Speed in 0:35 - demo ZIP. A nice - if somewhat empty and overstocked with cells - 1994 WAD.
  • WHIPLASH by unknown author - a UV Max in 5:19 and a NM Speed in 1:20 - demo ZIP. A lost gem from 1994, should show up in /newstuff soon.
edit: added a URL for WHIPLASH - it's now on /idgames.

Okay, here's my contribution to this quixotic campaign. I've been recording on a bunch of 1994 Doom levels starting at F, uploading to Youtube, and here are the links to the actual demo files. Thanks to The Green Herring for post layout and textfile inspiration. All the below demos were recorded on Ultimate Doom v1.9 unless otherwise noted.

FEAR-RYB.ZIP - Demos for FEAR.WAD by Patrick Hipps (YT)

• FEAR-638.LMP - UV Max in 6:38
  • FEARn054.LMP - NM Speed in 0:54
FE21-RYB.ZIP - Demos for FEAR21.WAD by Walter Humphrey
  • FE21-350.LMP - UV Max in 3:50 (YT)
  • FE21n247.LMP - NM Speed in 2:47 (YT)
FELIXRYB.ZIP - UV Max on FELIX.WAD by Unknown (WAD not in /idgames, can be found at the linked site) in 2:29 (YT)
FRLS-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FEARLESS.WAD by James Wilson in 5:07 (YT)
FEZ1-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FEZ1.WAD by Grahame Fairall in 9:24 (note: this demo desyncs in both Prboom-plus and Chocolate doom.) (YT)
FINL-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FINAL.WAD by Unknown in 3:15 (WAD included in zip) (YT)
FI12-RYB.ZIP - Demos for FINAL12.WAD by Unknown (WAD not in /idgames, can be found at the linked site) Demos recorded with Boom 2.02. (YT)
  • FI12-314.LMP - UV Max in 3:14
  • FI12n132.LMP - NM Speed in 1:32
FRS-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FINALR&S.WAD by Unknown (WAD not in /idgames, can be found at the linked site) in 13:07 (YT)
FAWD-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FAWAAD.WAD by Unknown (WAD not in /idgames, can be found at the linked site) in 4:53 (YT)
FHCK-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FISHCAKE.WAD by The Fishcake Collective in 2:56 (YT)
BRL-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on BARREL.WAD by Unknown (WAD not in /idgames, can be found at the linked site as fish.zip) in 11:11 (YT)
FLSH-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FLASH.WAD by J.D. Fraser in 2:54 (YT)
ARGH-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on AAARGH!.WAD by R.W. Marsden in 6:10 (YT)
FTBL-RYB.ZIP - UV Fast on FOOTBALL.WAD by Andrew Fritz in 0:39 (YT)
FRST-RYB.ZIP - Demos for FOREST.WAD by Jean-Serge Gagnon (version in /idgames will desync, download forest30.zip from this link)
  • FOR1-256.LMP - UV Max in 2:56 (YT)
  • FOR2-355.LMP - UV Max in 3:55 (YT)
  • FOR3-431.LMP - UV Max in 4:31 (YT)
  • FOR4-541.LMP - UV Max in 5:41 (YT)
  • FOR5-542.LMP - UV Max in 5:42 (YT)
FORT-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on FORTRESS.WAD by Woody Meyers in 4:21 (YT)
FRED-RYB.ZIP - Demos on FRED.WAD by Jeff Blank (YT)
  • FRED-219.LMP - UV Max in 2:19
  • FREDn119.LMP - NM Speed in 1:19
Download all the demos in this post here.

Glad to see other people contributing to this thread, too. :)

After delays caused by life, school, and work on my latest WAD, I finally return to this campaign. This time, we get three WADs. The third's good, the first is all right if you don't mind having to save your ammo a lot when maxing most of its levels, and the second is... one of the most uninteresting WADs ever. Enjoy, I suppose.

BBAT-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Knee Deep ][ - Bloodbath (DMBBATH.WAD in dmbbat.zip) by Aug and Ben Sze

• B1B1-424.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 4:24 (YT)
  • B1B2-834.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 8:43 (YT)
  • B1B3-646.LMP - UV max on E1M3 in 6:46 (YT)
  • B1B4-526.LMP - UV max on E1M4 in 5:26 (YT)
  • B1B4-035.LMP - UV speed on E1M4 w/ normal exit in 0:35 (YT)
  • B1B4s045.LMP - UV speed on E1M4 w/ secret exit in 0:45 (YT)
  • B1B5-740.LMP - UV max on E1M5 in 7:40 (YT)
  • B1B9-134.LMP - UV max on E1M9 in 1:34 (YT)
BOOT-TGH.ZIP - Demos for BootCamp: Combat Training (BOOTCAMP.WAD in dmboot.zip) by Rich "¥Weeds¥" Nagel
  • B1HN-015.LMP - HNTR max movie on E1M1-5 in 0:15
  • B1C9h017.LMP - HNTR max on E1M9 in 0:17
  • B2HN-025.LMP - HNTR max movie on E2M1-5 in 0:25
  • B1HM-032.LMP - HMP max movie on E1M1-5 in 0:32
  • B1C9m055.LMP - HMP max on E1M9 in 0:55
  • B1UV-022.LMP - UV max movie on E1M1-5 in 0:22
  • B1C9-036.LMP - UV max on E1M9 in 0:36
  • B2UV-056.LMP - UV max movie on E2M1-3 in 0:56 (YT)
BRAV-TGH.ZIP - Demos for BRAVE.WAD (in dmbrav.zip,) author unknown
  • BRAV-148.LMP - UV max in 1:48 (YT)
  • BRAV-048.LMP - UV speed in 0:48 (YT)
  • NOTE: These demos were recorded, and their text file written, for the same unfinished 2009 campaign as my DJW11.WAD demos from back in April. The comments don't sound as strange as the ones for the DJW11 demos, though.
But wait! There's more! I'm also publishing a pair of demos I recorded for one of the Top 100 WADs of All Time. I uploaded a YouTube video of one of these demos on the 10th, and now you can watch it in a source port of your choice! Check them out as soon as you can; both of them feature a crazy trick so subtle you might miss it the first time you watch! Note that as usual, if you're using PrBoom+, you'll need to force -complevel 2 at the command line to play them back correctly.

UACD-TGH.ZIP - UV demos for Doomsday of UAC (UAC_DEAD.WAD) by Leo Martin Lim
  • UACD-611.LMP - UV max in 6:11 (YT) [tatsurd: 6:42]
  • UACD-250.LMP - UV speed in 2:50 [tatsurd: 2:58]
Merry Christmas! Videos for the rest of the WADs in this post will go up by Wednesday at the latest.

EDIT (12/26/2010 7:59 PM PST): The rest of the videos are up now.

The Green Herring said:
Check [the UAC_DEAD demos] out as soon as you can; both of them feature a crazy trick so subtle you might miss it the first time you watch!

Neat. When I saw it I thought "oh that was good!"—

Spoiler

I always wondered if there was a better way of traversing the invisible stairs on the way out, since going the proper way is pretty annoying, what with the loss of control from being in the air and nothing to stop you overshooting and falling in the lava if you go too fast

—but I didn't actually realise that was the trick until I read the text file :-)