Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Title Pic Discussion thread

Like the sky discussion thread.

But lets talk TitlePics. The first one I say is like a Classic, with Doom II's being more so, yet I think it looks really, not as good. Plutonia's Titlepic is rather bland too.

Well, they are what they are.

However, if you feel they need to be 'improved' upon then here is your opportunity to let your imagination soar and create some masterpieces. You might even be so adventurous and publish them for a critique.

I hate the BOSSBACK of Evilution, they even left the gamma and marks of the -devparm mode. Plutonia's and DOOM 2's ones are also poor but not as badly as the one of Evilution.

I have nothing against Evilution's Titlepic, but against the wad itself that doesn't include an "episode" in the hell ship. Well the fact that the ship on the Titlepic doesn't look like a "bio-mechano-magical construct" kinda bugs me but I can imagine it does.

Doom 1's titlepic is awesome.

RIP Don Punchatz

40oz said:

Doom 1's titlepic is awesome.

RIP Gregor Punchatz

You mean Don Ivan Punchatz.

In any case, my favourite title picture is the big ALIEN VENDETTA one. Kinda reminds me of the Aliens logo.

EDIT: But I LOVE MSPaint (or Paintbrush!) drawn title pics! Especially because they're one of the few graphics whose bad drawing doesn't affect the rest of the game.

DooM's titlepic is most memorable. Final DooM titlepics are just lame. Plutonia's is bland, and I had no idea that was a spaceship until not too long ago on TNT's. It's rare to find a good titlepic for me.

The original or the expansion? I prefer the original, too bad I can't see it as long as I have SotSR.

printz said:

You mean Don Ivan Punchatz.

Oops you're right. I fixed it to prevent confusion if this thread is read by lurkers in the future.

It might not be a titlepic, but I really love the intermission pics (is this what they are called? the pics between maps when you get your "score") in AV and TNT. Also the music that goes along with both the pics. The music in Alien Vendetta`s is very brooding and omnious, I almost feel scared waiting for the next map lol, while the music in TNT is really atmospheric and together with the pic I really get the feeling of being alone in a strange world, against the hordes of hell. Epic.

Doom's titlepic is my favourite and I love the full picture that it comes from too. Doom2 also has an excellent titlepic but it is a bit of a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen a cyberdemon (not that there would have been too many gamers in that position by the time Doom2 came out). And what's up with that zig-zag haircut?

Not really, the Cyber Demon (along with every demon except the final boss) was included with image, in the Doom2 manual.

I love the original Doom's titlepic. But it kind of bothers me how the shotgun (I would say photosopped but then it was more like mspainted) in the hand that was being grabbed in the original scene. It never looked quite right to me.

More TITLEMAP than TITLEPIC, but PSX Doom's and Doom 64's title screens are my two favourites. Both of them are animated.

The high-res versions of UD and D2's TITLEPICs found in the JDUIP are also smart.

I didn't think TNT's was too bad, but Plutonia's was just lazy.

Doom 1's titlepic was the best, with all the extra detail of monsters in the background.

Plutonia was the worst of the IWADS, just some text on a floor.

Doom II's was average IMO.

Doom's titlepic is definitely the most appealing to me - it has plenty of visual interest and generous amounts of green.

I too really like the original Heretic titlepic. Corvus is definitely the biggest badass among the Doom engine games after Doomguy himself. The sloppy 3D effects used both in SotSR and the game's intermission screens, not so much. It's a shame that as early as Hexen you see more traditional pixel art being phased out, with everything in Hexen having a more tame, flat-shaded appearance.

hobomaster22 said:

I love the original Doom's titlepic. But it kind of bothers me how the shotgun (I would say photosopped but then it was more like mspainted) in the hand that was being grabbed in the original scene. It never looked quite right to me.

YES, THANK YOU! That shotgun always, and still does, bugs the shit out of me.

Enjay said:

And what's up with that zig-zag haircut?

I've been wondering how I might go about getting a haircut like that. How does it look in the front? Has anyone ever seen anything like it before? I think it would look kinda cool.

I like Doom 2's title pic best.

Enjay said:

And what's up with that zig-zag haircut?

Creative freedom! And it has a cool 1980's scifi action bullshit vibe to it.

I was just analysing the Doom TITLEPIC the other day actually, and I came to the conclusion that it sucks due to its unrealistic weapon portrayal. I have no qualms with the SG, but really, WTF is that in his other hand?!

And yes, Doomguy's hair always looked quite ridiculous to me on the Doom2 pic.

40oz said:

I've been wondering how I might go about getting a haircut like that. How does it look in the front? Has anyone ever seen anything like it before? I think it would look kinda cool.

For the front just look at the PSX doom cover or the Doomguy from Ultimate Doom.

Cybershark said:
I have no qualms with the SG, but really, WTF is that in his other hand?!

A logo floating behind the guy isn't realistic either... oh no!

Rofl, you really feel a need to be a prick over this? It's a logo, it can go wherever the fuck it likes.

Guns however... it just strikes me as wrong. It's akin to showing a monster from some other game on the pic. I'd play Doom through and be like "So did I miss something someplace?"

Just poking a bit of fun because it's very common for "pulpy" fiction to have covers that don't exactly match the contents. It's almost a genre trademark :p

The box art does the same thing; indeed, showing a monster that's similar to, but different from, the ones in the game.

It looks like the guys finally discovered what kind of weapon it is... It's clearly a "Punchatz" gun, as evidenced here.