Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hervoheebo

Best port for multiplayer LAN?

What would be the best port for playing Doom over the LAN with two computers? Preferably limit-removing. I know about Skulltag, but can you turn off all the additions, i.e. U/D mouselook and new weapons? I've tried ZDaemon but it's a mess to set up.

Legacy, is when played in a barebone state (IE, basic vanilla and boom maps, with most "fancy" stuff turned off) a very good option for LAN play. The network code being written specifically with it in mind. But Odamex is probably better. I've never tried it on LAN so I dunno.

I don't recommend Skulltag for LAN.

Doomsday 1.8.6 is also pretty good over LAN for Doom and Heretic, with client server architecture and is fully intergrated (i.e one can select and host/join an MP game from the main menu in game). Though it isn't limit removing (i.e. map size wise; it doesn't have visplane limits for instance) or Boom compatible.

The Doomsday 1.9 betas, though extreme limit removing, currently has, essentially, broken multiplayer.

Thanks for the replies, here is my report:

I tried Odamex, but I couldn't make a non-dedicated server. The port isn't familiar at all to me, though, so maybe I just don't know how to use it.

Legacy is a good idea, I remember playing splitscreen on it. I did some test runs on it, but it gave me an error about not being able to find the PWAD I wanted to play. Probably because of the retardedly long directory path.

Then I tried ZDoom and it was pretty easy to set up with ZDL. The game went out of sync at one point, so I had to make a new game starting on the next map. Not too much of a problem.

I saw the post about Doomsday after the session, so I didn't try it. From what I remember it was pretty straightforward but its compatibility is a bit wonky and I don't really dig the graphical improvements. Just saying. I like to check my maps on Doomsday every once in a while though.