Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dee

adipex?

Hey everyone, I just went to the doctor the other day for weight loss, im not really that overweight, my goal is to get into the air force, the recruiter said that I need to lose 20 lbs before they can accept me, even though I can do all the exercise requirements to get in... :/ I kinda figured I would lose the 20 lbs in basic... but point being is, I went to the doc and he prescribed adipex. been taking it and my mind is constantly racing, and I havent eaten anything in two days... not even slightly hungry, super high energy and im doing a lot more like cleaning the house constantly and going to the gym two or three times a day, without getting tired. part of me is thinking "wow, ive never felt so great and full of energy" the other part of me is thinking "this shit cant be good for me"
anyone have any experience taking this kind of medicine?

and just to clarify before someone says it... I have been on a diet for almost a year, work out every day, always eat fresh healthy foods, (havent eaten at all lately) and I lost 50 lbs, but for the last 3 months, havent lost a single pound and in fact I gained 5 lbs with healthy eating and diet and exercise. so thats why I went to the doctor in the first place. I dont particularly like taking medicine for anything but im 21 years old and I need to get into the air force!

Perhaps your body type just isn't the one the air force is looking for if after all that you're still 20lbs over. How tall are you and are most of the people in your family solid/built vs. fat?

Danarchy said:

Sounds like he gave you amphetamines.

Sure looks like he did. Not to use this as a primary/completely reliable resource, but the brief description under the side effects section seems to describe exactly what you're feeling. If this does keep happening and you're worried then you should probably consult the doc again.

Also under side effects-

Less Common - Erectile Dysfucntion

Tee-Hee

ArmouredBlood said:

How tall are you and are most of the people in your family solid/built vs. fat?

i'm 5'11 and yes my father is a large man, so its pretty much genetic. my entire diet has been extremely difficult to lose the weight, but it was working fine originally. I was about 280 at my max and right now i'm 5'11 and about 225 lbs.

lions and tigers and amphetamines.... oh my...

Kirby said:

Less Common - Erectile Dysfucntion

Tee-Hee

..... O.O

feelin kinda weird about this now... I wish I knew someone who has taken it before. I dont wanna hurt myself in any way.

I've had Adipex. Not prescribed, though. YOW!

I'll let you come over and run the lawn mower around the yard if ya want. Got all kinds of yard work that needs done. ;)

You've probably already lost 20 lbs.! That stuff is usually prescribed for severe weight problems.

Seriously, when you're done taking them destroy the left-overs so there's no chance of any kids getting ahold of them somewhere down the line.

Dee said:
...in fact I gained 5 lbs with healthy eating and diet and exercise

Depending on how you exercise, that could well be the side-effect of replacing the fat with muscles.
If you lift weights or use the machines in a gym, you probably want to do more repetitions (15-20 reps / max 3 sets) with less weight and shift your focus to cardio-workouts like running or cycling as this burns calories and fat like nothing else.

Can´t believe your doctor prescribed you those pills, as it seems you´re not morbidly obese or disabled...

Good lcuk!

DooMikE said:

Depending on how you exercise, that could well be the side-effect of replacing the fat with muscles. If you lift weights or use the machines in a gym, you probably want to do more repetitions (15-20 reps / max 3 sets) with less weight and shift your focus to cardio-workouts like running or cycling as this burns calories and fat like nothing else.

That sounds like good advice.

If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting a heart-rate monitor (simple ones aren't expensive), and try to keep your heart-rate during exercise somewhere in the range of 70-80% of your maximum heart rate (at your age that range should probably be 139-159, but everyone is a bit different). An elliptical trainer should be a good choice. Maybe rowing machine, though it's easy to slip into the 80-90% range in that case.

Don't worry too much about low-probability side-effects of drugs - for legal reasons the drug companies have to err on the side of caution and mention anything that testing has suggested can go wrong, however rarely.

Hmmm: http://www.drugs.com/adipex.html

Adipex-P may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Never share this medicine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.

Do not stop taking Adipex-P suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using Adipex-P.

Sounds like some crazy shit.

@ bytor: yeah they are pretty crazy so far, and ive lost 4 lbs already, (water and waste mostly of course) because they have made me crave water water water and nothing but water! I havent eaten in two days and drank tons of water, been using the bathroom a lot! in fact, just last night I woke up 3 times to use the bathroom, so the water consumption is really good, im going to start eating again today, fresh fruits and vegies and some steak, I love steak... but I have been cleaning my house constantly when normally my house is a wreck. ha

@ DooMikE: I love to run, I usually run 2 miles a day. my current time for 1.5 miles is 15:16. not super great but not bad either... especially for my weight. but the way I work out, is I keep a book, and in my book I write down EVERYTHING i do. I skip days,
for ex. mon.-run, tues.-weights, wed.-run, thurs.-weights, fri.-run, sat-off, sun-off
But like, every time I do something, like if i'm working out my legs, I will do three different exercises, 3-4 reps each. each rep would push for sets of 10, but I usually hit about 7 or 8 reps cuz its heavy weights. so if im working out my legs doing leg press, I will go back in my book and find the last time I did leg press and look at my previous weight, and increase the weight. every time. so every time I go to the gym I increase my weight each time, and every time i run I try to increase my speed each time. sometimes I shoot for distance, and sometimes speed, I swap around... but this method helped me lose 50 lbs and gain muscle mass, when I first started, I remember I couldnt even bench 90 lbs (bar weighs about 30) so I would struggle pressing 120 lbs on bench press. now I can bench press my own body weight, sometimes more, which is around 225-240 on a good day, with my super pump supplement. gets me crunk!!! I just dont understand how I can increase my workout every week, getting more and more intense, but my body is going no where. i mean im getting in better shape, stronger faster, but the fat just wont go!

@ exp(x): lol well its my calling! Its what I want to do and its what has me motivated to get in shape in the first place :)

@ Grazza: yeah I dont have a heart rate monitor, I really need one, i have borrowed one before, and my heart rate usually gets about 145-150 last time I used one if I remember correctly. the doctor said I have a very good heart, he did an ekg and checked my blood pressure and stuff, he said it looks like i have a strong heart, and that the working out is really keeping me in good shape. doctor said that even though im overweight, the year of working out and dieting has improved my health and he said right now im not at risk of any heart problems! basically he was like, just because someone is skinny, doesnt mean they are healthy, cholesterol and heart problems are common in average size patients just because they follow such an unhealthy life style, and just because im overweight doesnt mean im not just as healthy as a normal size person should be. at least I have that to be happy about.

One thing that really surprised me is that it says its FDA approved. lol the FDA approves amphetamines. pretty intense.

LOLmerica. When they aren't giving 12 year olds assault rifles with thier McDonalds whilst simultaneously worrying that their car doesn't have airbags on the indicator stalks to stop them breaking thier nails, they're all on drugs!

Nah, that's not what I meant about a heart-rate monitor. Nothing to do with checking for heart problems.

My point is that different types of exercise have a different impact on your physique, and the best way to be sure of what type of exercise you are doing is by using a heart-rate monitor.

Something tells me nature didn't intend for you to lose that weight. If you're exercising regularly, and have been for a while, then there's no healthy way of losing any weight. The military can just go fuck itself.

uggghhh I know thats how it seems. and its discouraging. im going to keep trying my best and hopefully things will start working. i'm not giving up yet, thanks for all the input at least I learned a hella lot more about the stuff!

Dee said:

I will do three different exercises, 3-4 reps each. each rep would push for sets of 10, but I usually hit about 7 or 8 reps cuz its heavy weights. so if im working out my legs doing leg press, I will go back in my book and find the last time I did leg press and look at my previous weight, and increase the weight. every time. so every time I go to the gym I increase my weight each time, and every time i run I try to increase my speed each time. sometimes I shoot for distance, and sometimes speed, I swap around... but this method helped me lose 50 lbs and gain muscle mass, when I first started, I remember I couldnt even bench 90 lbs (bar weighs about 30) so I would struggle pressing 120 lbs on bench press. now I can bench press my own body weight, sometimes more, which is around 225-240 on a good day, with my super pump supplement. gets me crunk!!! I just dont understand how I can increase my workout every week, getting more and more intense, but my body is going no where. i mean im getting in better shape, stronger faster, but the fat just wont go!

This answer may be a tl;dr/BOORING! -candidate, but here goes...

Results from exercise vary from person to person, so you have to find out what works for you.
Sharing my own experience, based on bodybuilding "some" for the last 20 years or so:

What you´re doing lifting heavy weights like that, with "few" repetitions, is gaining muscle-mass. It´s "pumping iron", you Arnold! You can not "loose weight" while replacing fat with muscle, as muscle weighs significantly more than fat.

If you solely want to loose weight, you´ll get the best/fastest result by doing cardio-workouts exclusively; running, cycling, crosstrainer and/or rowing. Grazza explained how. No weights. High-intensive exercise no more than 1-1.5 hours x 3 times a week, as this gives the body optimum restitution and best performance improvement for most non-athletes. Eating relatively healthy is also necessary, but do remember that the body needs fuel to burn the fat.

If you feel that you have to sculpt your body/target certain parts of it by lifting weights, you will have to adjust the way you´re doing it, by reducing the weight and lifting it more times. 15 to 20 repetitions, á 2 or 3 sets ( 1. set should leave you feeling you could´ve lifted the weight 20 - 25 times ), slowly and precisely executed ( nerding: 1-2 seconds to raise and 2 - 4 seconds to drop the weight, 1-2 mins. between sets depending on how fast you regain strenght ).

This way the focus is on maintaining the muscle-mass, while slowly increasing your strength.

It is however often somewhat difficult to combine these two types of training, as a cardio-intensive workout drains energy from your body fast.

The way i´d do it if i believed this model could fit me:

Warm up for 10 mins., reach a heartrate of appx. 150 bpm for at least 3-4 min. Lift weights semi-intensive for 30 mins, no more than 5-6 different exercises. and then cardio for 30 mins.

What freeweight/machine exercises you should choose, depends on your chosen cardio exercise: when running or cycling, focus on your upper body, when rowing, focus on the legs, when crosstraining, focus on core/whatever.

If you really, really hate cardio-exercise ( i don´t particlarily enjoy it myself ), and just can´t motivate yourself, then you should try a full body exercise with the above mentioned method, doing no more than 8-10 different exercises: 2-4 legs and 5-7 upper body ( this including arms ), training the largest muscles first: legs, back, shoulder, chest, arms, neck...

I could go on for hours, boring everyone to death with this stuff...

Good lcuk!

Dee said:

I love to run, I usually run 2 miles a day. my current time for 1.5 miles is 15:16. not super great but not bad either... especially for my weight. but the way I work out, is I keep a book, and in my book I write down EVERYTHING i do. I skip days,
for ex. mon.-run, tues.-weights, wed.-run, thurs.-weights, fri.-run, sat-off, sun-off

You could do some body weight training instead of lifting one or two days out of the week. Adding some jump training to your cardio would help a lot also. Also doing yoga as a cool down at the end of your work out is a must. You will feel a hell of a lot better the next day after a hard workout. A combo of body weight training,jump training and yoga is great for losing fat. I got ripped pretty quick just doing the three.

One of the best things you can do is keep your workout as varied as possible. You don't want to fall into a routine when it comes to working out. Your body will get use to it and you will hit a wall when it comes to results. Switch up every two or three weeks. Right now Saturday is one of your off days and you run on Wednesday. Next week switch the two.

thanks for all the great exercise information! I have been lifting heavy weights, instead of doing more higher rep exercises, maybe thats my problem!
the responses I have gotten on this thread have inspired me to start taking a mixed martial arts cardio class! I start this wednesday! maybe that will give me the edge i need to start cutting again.

on another note, over the weekend I did a lot of running and mostly just cardio, and I weighed in this morning, and since ive been taking the medicine ive lost 8 pounds and I got this one polo shirt ive been trying to fit into for a while but it was too tight and now i can wear it pretty comfortably :D