Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jello

Soldier of Fortune on Vista

Howdy, it seemed like the best place to post this. I need advice on getting Soldier of Fortune Gold working on Vista 64 if possible. Tonight I tried installing the original Soldier of Fortune Gold Edition on my Vista 64 bit operating system. The first problem was when the autorun setup wouldn't work, it suggested that I check with the manufacturer if there was a 64 bit version available. I got around that by opening the CD folder and running the setup.exe. It installed, but when I attempt to run the game it crashes after clicking on the .exe, giving nothing but an SoF has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution to the problem window. I've attempted changing the compatibility setting from Windows 3.5 through Windows XP SP 2, no luck. I've allowed DEP on it, still no luck. Has anyone here been able to run the original Soldier of Fortune on a Vista 64 system, if so I would appreciate any help. The only advice I could find via google were dead forums, or advice to turn on administrator privileges and change compatibility mode, which haven't worked. Advice would be appreciated, aside from installing XP onto an older computer, which would be my next choice.

Judging by the lack of replies I doubt anyone cares, but I'll post this. I finally got it working, it seems to have been a driver issue with my 4770 Radeon card. After uninstalling all the current drivers and many annoying nights of reinstalling and uninstalling drivers, I finally got it to play with the Catalyst 9.6 drivers. Doesn't seem like it was an issue with vista, but the drivers. To install I still had to 'explore' the disc and go to the setup folder and manually run it, otherwise it would crash because apparently the 32bit .exe wasn't compatible with 64bit, large surprise. Still, manually selecting the setup.exe seems to bypass the 32bit check and it works fine. The rollback of drivers to 9.6 also fixed my problem with Soldier of Fortune 2 not running, and crashing to desktop with a generic "This program has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem" message.

Yeah, I'm glad that my advice regarding a game using an id tech engine which other people have had problems with using Vista or an ATI card helped. I figured since it was a Raven game it would have a tacit connection to doom in the Everything Else forum. And the 'cool story bro' meme is really worn out.

"I found a post on a topic that I didn't care about, but I felt I had to comment to boost my ego, so I posted 'cool story bro'"

Cool story bro.

I liked the original Soldier of fortune. Never played any of the others.

Glad you got it working. I would have solved the issue differently from how you ended up solving it.**

**my solution would have involved getting a couple of my uber-nerd-computer friends to fix the problem for me. Has never let me down yet. Failing that, I would have resorted to posting a thread here. :D

Thanks for posting that solution. I might try it on my new Windows 7 rig, since I've been having similar problems with SoF2 on that system.

Jello said:

Yeah, I'm glad that my advice regarding a game using an id tech engine which other people have had problems with using Vista or an ATI card helped.

Must be an id Tech 2 engine, which so far all its appearances SUCKED for me. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't run on my computer either, even if it's still x86, without me doing some tweaks. I hope I can get used to x64 when I make the switch. I tried doing it recently until I realized that way too many applications wouldn't work at all (such as Adobe Reader), so I remained with Windows 7 32-bit for now. I hope the 32-bit filesize limit doesn't hurt me.

Technician said:

Soldier of Shit.

That's Payback, not the original or Double Helix.