Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

How big is your Doom folder?

Someone in 40oz's thread remarked about needing a 30 meg dump of Doom material. Which made me wonder how much stuff was in mine. I thought it was something like 2 gigs, but it turns out that it's pushing 4 gigabytes.

So how big is your Doom folder? This means everything- pwads, projects, applications... everything.

I have my folders set up somewhat haphazardly ... my main doomstuff folder is 2.65 GB, my random doom wads folder is 705 MB, my random doom demos folder is 33.9 MB (but includes a few wads), and my separate skulltag folder that I have separated for no good reason is 258 MB. There are definitely overlaps, but still, ~ 3.7 GB is pretty large now that I think about it ... more than doom 3 I think, heh.

I have a 2Gb flash drive with all my important Doom stuff backed up to it, and it is pretty much full. Projects I am working on, lots of wads that I really like, screenies, archived stuff etc etc. It mounts up pretty quick.

There is probably twice that in the two or three Doom folders that I have, am not on my home pc now to check, but that would be about right.

I have so much Doom shit, I can't stuff it into one folder. Instead, my hard drives are a disorganized, clutterfucking mess of epic proportions, with hundreds, if not thousands, of folders containing Doom-related material. My desktop has around three or four times as many files/icons that can even fit on screen at once. A search reveals several thousand .wad files, at least 29 of which are doom2.wad. I found one folder that had about 20 nested sub directories of doom shit.

Do they... have people you can pay to clean up shit like this?

To answer your question though, probably somewhere in the range of 10-20 GB...

Heh, I'd clean it up for you. Does $9/hour work?

Also, how the hell did you end up with twenty copies of Doom 2.wad? I have one in my IWADS folder and one in PWADS (to keep Skulltag from getting confused). Also I have miscellaneous backups on my flash drive and online.

Not too surprised at 29 copies of doom2.wad. I have one for each port I have installed, and I have 5 versions of gzdoom, 1 zdoom, 2 skulltag, 2 prboom+s, odamex, vavoom, and probably doomsday somewhere, plus my desktop copy I use for editing because wintex complains of the file location line being too long if it's in just about any folder. So yeah, 14 copies ... and I started playing doom seriously just 2 years ago -.-

Mine's scattered all over the place, so far I've accounted for 40.153GB of stuff in 6 directories - none of which are called "Doom". Can post pics later if requested.

Heh, it seems I store an average of about 20 files per folder.

I do have another two folders with DOOM stuff under D:\Temp; one (107 MB) has mostly images or other miscellaneous things or "trivia" from the web, the other (603 MB) has temporarily unsorted WADs and demos I have to ZIP up (see below).

EarthQuake said:
Do they... have people you can pay to clean up shit like this?

You can do it little by little. I've been reducing the size of my folder by zipping almost everything. It saves space, but the main reason was to have all my text files invariably attached to the files they accompany. The zipping probably explains why my folder has over 16000 files in just under 2 GB, but my vanilla-oriented preferences should also contribute there, since I store many demos and old WADs.

Heh. I have the folders divided into general port-based Doom & Doom 2, vanilla Doom, and vanilla Doom 2.

Port Doom (d:\doom)
-------------------

Size: 2.83 GB (3,044,158,105 bytes)
Size on disk: 2.85 GB (3,069,235,200 bytes)
Contains: 10,353 files, 308 folders

Vanilla Doom 1 (d:\doom_se)
---------------------------

Size: 152 MB (160,194,152 bytes)
Size on disk: 153 MB (161,406,976 bytes)
Contains: 552 files, 7 folders

Vanilla Doom 2(d:\doom2)
------------------------

Size: 337 MB (354,366,055 bytes)
Size on disk: 338 MB (355,446,784 bytes)
Contains: 510 files, 4 folders

Total
-----

Size: 3.31 GB (3,558,718,312 bytes)
Size on disk: 3.34 GB (3,586,088,960 bytes)
Contains: 11415 files, 319 folders.

I guess I'm average.

883 MB on my laptop, all wads and downloaded demos in one folder and ports and files generated by the ports in their own folders. I also keep all downloaded files in zips unless I need to edit them. Launcher magic. :P

printz said:

How do you guys get so many (above 10) gigs? Is the /idgames archive even that big?

I have around 600Mb just of sound files that I have stashed away for use in my project. It adds up pretty quick.

Kyka said:

I have around 600Mb just of sound files that I have stashed away for use in my project.

Cool. Are they from royalty-free sound repositories, or other games?

Heh, my doom folder is only 350 megs...this is because I recently set up an old desktop I had lying around, and then did a full formatting on my laptop which had the most doom stuff. I felt that it was useless to just copy the folder because a lot of the WADs were ones I never play anymore. I believe it was around 3 gigs though...

printz said:

Cool. Are they from royalty-free sound repositories, or other games?

To be honest, both. Though for my project, I have tried to not use ripped stuff; the vast majority of sounds I have used are from royalty-free sites, such as freesound.org. I have got some awesome sounds from there.

my wads are kinda scattered around, though typically I only keep the popular coop and deathmatch megawads in my folders, and I usually delete wads after I'm done playing them. A lot of the memory occupied from doom content are all the backups that are generated by Doombuilder, XWE, and Slumped when I make maps.

2.49GB - its all in one folder, split into subdirectories and so on. I have 2 ports installed and only two editing utilities, so the vast majority of that is wads accumulated over the years.

16.33 GB

I used the FTP to DL most of the Archive. Took weeks. Now it will take years to sort out and remove duplicate files from what I had previously collected file-by-file from other sources.

2.21GB on my main computer and 1.94GB on my file server (a lot of which might be duplicated). Plus about a dozen CD-Rs and four or five DVD-Rs worth of stuff that I copy in as needed (but those include stuff from Quake and other games)...

The created date says 2009, but this folder has been moved across many computers and was originally created in 2000, as a vanilla Doom installation from 1.7a floppies. Needless to say, it has grown considerably.