Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DbBoomstick

Installing Doom builder 2 on windows 7

Does anyone know how to install doom builder 2 on windows 7? I have installed it but when I try to open it a message pops up and says "doom builder has stopped working".

It has been tested and it works fine on Windows 7. Boris, who also works on Db sometimes, also uses it on Windows 7. I think something is wrong with your system.

Some things you can try:
- Uninstall Doom Builder.
- Update windows! And make sure you get the .NET Framework 3.5 updates with that (I'm not sure if they are automatically issued).
- If you have previously installed a different version of the SlimDX library, uninstall it! In fact, just uninstall any SlimDX version before you try installing Doom Builder again to make sure it installs the right version. You can find this among all other uninstallers at the control panel.
- Reinstall Doom Builder when you did all of the above.

I'm betting a month salary on him not having the driver package to run it. That's what I had to install when I first got Win7 anyway.

I tried re-installing it over and over but I get the same message. I also uninstalled it and updated and then re-installed it but got the same message. I have .Net Framework updates as well. I just got this laptop and I don't think there is a SlimDX library on it. I only downloaded the doom builder 2 and that was it. Is there something I need to do to get it to work?

I am installing the one from doombuilder.com. The problem could be my laptop. It's a HP Pavilion dv5 notebook PC with an AMD Turion(tm) P520 Dual-Core Processor(2.30 GHz). And it's a 64-bit Operating System. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I appreciate all of the advice. If anyone knows another solution let me know. I can always use my Vista laptop...although its a real pain because the screen is broken and it has some viruses on it.

DbBoomstick said:

I am installing the one from doombuilder.com.

As Codeimp pointed out, have you installed the latest Microsoft updates for Windows 7 ?

The error, like the one you get, may be caused by a conflicting program or, heavens forbid, corrupted memory. When the error message pops up, Windows will generate an associated error log or problem signature. If you could post that error log we may be able to help you further.

DbBoomstick said:

... and it has some viruses on it.

Use AVG freeware http://free.avg.com/ca-en/homepage

I found the problem details.

Problem
APPCRASH

Description
Stopped working
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom Builder 2\Builder.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Builder.exe
Application Version: 2.1.0.1356
Application Timestamp: 4c7c0a10
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

DbBoomstick said:

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Well, that is unfortunate.
KERNELBASE.dll is used in System32 and SysWOW64. According to the linked website, kernelbase.dll loads ntdll.dll. So, the real problem could be with kernelbase.dll or ntdll.dll.

Not being an expert on problems related to Windows 7, it nevertheless appears to me that your Windows 7 has suffered some damage. Restoring it to a healthy state can be an easy task if you have the original Microsoft DVD. Perhaps, searching the internet, you can find guidance on how to best approach the task.

However, before you do anything, back up all your important files on an external drive.

1. Perhaps there is someone on Doomworld experienced in such matters, who could give advice on how to approach this.

2. You might consider to take your computer to a reputable computer dealer.

3. It could be, that copying kernelbase.dll and ntdll.dll from a healthy Windows 7 installation may solve the problem.

Thank you for your help. I do have some recovery disks so I guess I could use those. I'm not sure what to do for back up, unless I can save the files to a USB flash drive. I'm not a computer expert so I don't really know how its done.

DbBoomstick said:

Thank you for your help. I do have some recovery disks so I guess I could use those. I'm not sure what to do for back up, unless I can save the files to a USB flash drive. I'm not a computer expert so I don't really know how its done.

The best thing to do is to back up the files to an external HDD/flash drive which is pretty much what you're doing.

It works! All I did was scan my computer for viruses and after they were removed I re-installed it and it worked. I can't believe it was that simple.