Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Pondering what people want for DOOM 4 (weapons, monsters, gameplay, modernizing)

Love the above story, but beyond that:

What I'd like to see in Doom 4 would be some kind of Arachnotron like monster or a cool new version of the Pain Elemental. Also, perhaps a couple cool looking new monsters that add to the realm of horror...

More varied levels would be great. I would have loved to ran around outside the base more in Doom 3. Having the game take place on more planets or moons would be great also. A longer and more in-depth hell section would be kick ass also. Last but not least, a good old fashion secret hunt. Like they had in old school shooters.

A good mix of action and horror game play. Doom 3 focused to much on horror. I would love it if the game didn't have any more cheap jump scares every 2 min. After the 3rd time I was ambushed from behind by a damn Imp who came out of a doorway in the wall, I was sick of it.

More varied demon types. Have Imps that move fast and like to melee and Imp that like to stand off and hurl fire balls at you. Cyberdemons that have different cybernetics.At different points you will fight a one and the next will will have different/more guns and other upgrades. Give the last one something crazy like a quad barreled rocket launcher for one arm and a wall shield for the other arm.

Clonehunter said:

or a cool new version of the Pain Elemental.

Yeah but... didn't the Doom 3 archvile already fulfill the role of summoning monsters, and any kind of monsters, not just lost souls?

Doom3 archvile can summon all kinds of monsters, but he can't revive killed monsters. Also his flame attack is much, much weaker (glorified flame thrower, like Kristus said).

Does HE have a control over summoning, or is it just fancy scripting that say, checks if he's alive?

I swear that if I start my Doom 3 maps, I'll tweak everything around to be at least as tough or fun as in Doom 2.

It's scripted - the level designer can decide which types of monsters he will summon, and how many.

IMO the way the Archvile can summon monsters in Doom3 is fine, it's up to the level designer to set it up. But what is underwhelming is the flame attack. It would be nice to have a mod that makes it more like the one from original Doom. But at the same time the player speed should be also modded so the player has a chance to get out of the way faster.

Years have passed and we haven't heard ANYTHING about Doom 4. Not a single word of news from id.

Is there a possibility that they might cancel it?

printz said:

Years have passed and we haven't heard ANYTHING about Doom 4. Not a single word of news from id.

Is there a possibility that they might cancel it?

Who cares. Doom 4 will be bad. I think they will fail like with the creating of Quake 4. Play Doom 3. It really is the best you can get. We need more mods for Doom 3. Come on, the engine is old now, any new mods available? Don't wait for Doom 4 this time (Doom 3 is not too dark btw.).

Deeforce said:

Who cares.

I do.

Play Doom 3. It really is the best you can get. We need more mods for Doom 3. Come on, the engine is old now, any new mods available?

Okay, with this I really agree.

Clonehunter said:

More Doom 3 mods would be nice yes.

Doom 3 FIles has plenty of maps, but they really lack in some actualy mods.

The Phobos project would be all we ever need, if it eventually sees the light of day :P

All I want from Doom 4 is that I can run it on my PC without having to require Steam on my PC to play it.

I don't ask for much. :V

Xenphire said:

The Phobos project would be all we ever need, if it eventually sees the light of day :P

Are Team Future going to make and release casual Doom 3 maps after they're done with Phobos? :)

I'd like Doom 4 to be to Doom 2 as Doom 3 was to Doom 1. A re-imagining with a more story-based and horror feel, albeit with more horror types than jump scares and obviously larger, more open levels to better fit the "hell on earth" theme than corridors ever did. Frankly, I own the original Dooms, Duke Nukem 3D, and both parts of Serious Sam 1(in both original and HD remake releases), I have plenty of things to play if I want to go for the old school little-to-no-story, shoot everything gameplay. I want a story, a deep, well written story. I've already played the hell out of the "kill everything" old-school shooter style, and if I want more I can buy those games. If I'm playing a modern game that isn't a simple graphics upgrade (or in the case of Serious Sam HD, graphics upgrade with the removal of a bunch of the silly/ridiculous elements like altered gravity rooms and the parenting property), I'm kind of beyond a simple rehash of the same old gameplay without any proper storytelling.

Oh, and if there's going to be any sort of "zoom" aiming system, I want ADS aiming, not the generic slight zoom thing.

Mmm, I disagree. I hope they remove the horror element, it should be about action first and scary demons second.

Not sure about ADS, I enjoy it in CoD, I dunno. It could work but it might go against the whole running about strafe shooting thing.

I can't say I agree. I rather liked the slower, more intricate horror playstyle of Doom 3(aside from nearly all the horror being jump scares, some psychological horror would be nice so long as it doesn't fall into a cliched format that FEAR/Condemned use). With a better, deeper story and more varied environments (and an engine alteration that could handle more than corridor-based areas) it could have been even better. Even if that type of playstyle gets turned into a spinoff series instead of the main Doom series I'd like that. The more actiony stuff I get enough of out of the older, classic games, so I'd rather the new titles (that again, aren't just graphical updates like the Serious Sam HD releases) have a bit more focus on story.

ADS again would really only be if they take the Doom 3-like route. If it goes back to the old run and gun style then any sort of "zoom aim" would be useless.

Xeros612 said:

some psychological horror would be nice so long as it doesn't fall into a cliched format that FEAR/Condemned use).

Don't expect any imagination from a company headed by Carmack. I've seen Rage trailers for example and they're NOTHING special. Fat chance any special to be Doom 4.

printz said:

I've seen Rage trailers for example and they're NOTHING special.

I completely agree with this. Even when bearing in mind it´s a WIP. the videos display absolutely nothing that is worthy of the degree of hype around the release. Let´s hope ID realizes it´s not the year 2006 some time soon...

I do however, in spite of this, think that they´ll release a worthy successor to DooM3. At least if you liked DooM3, because no future DooM game is likely satisfy the old school "nothing good has come from ID since 1995" -doomers.

Xeros612 said::
some psychological horror would be nice so long as it doesn't fall into a cliched format that FEAR/Condemned use).

Psychological horror is something that fits well within the boundaries of the storyline of the game, but to implement it and make it work, is another thing. However may be almost impossible to make it NOT a cliché, since the concept and aim of the game is very well known.

I actually felt they did very well with DooM3 in that regard.

Looking at how unimaginative Rage "feels", one might hope for that they´re just saving the ideas for DooM4!

MajorRawne said:

All I want from Doom 4 is what I wanted from Doom 3: A fast-paced survival horror with loads of maps, tons of replay values, and a constant run-and-gun attitude.

What I don't want is "link up with B-squad at the alpha labs", "oops the way is blocked link up with B-squad at the beta labs", "oops B-squad got killed, head for gamma labs". I don't want only one monster on the screen at a time because the graphics are so advanced it melts quad processors.

I just want a straightforward, addictive, compelling, exciting blasting experience like the original Dooms.

People are still playing and modding Doom and Doom 2 more than 15 years after their release.

I can't see anybody playing Doom 3 after beating it once or twice (looking at your reflection in a toilet mirror is not scary after the first time), and nobody seems to be mapping for it any more, if they ever did. In fact most of the effort expended on Doom 3 seemed to be in turning it into Doom 1.

Why can nobody build simple and addictive games any more?

This, this, THIS!

Deeforce said:

We need more mods for Doom 3. Come on, the engine is old now, any new mods available? Don't wait for Doom 4 this time (Doom 3 is not too dark btw.).

Making maps and mods for Doom3 is a horribly slow and painful process. Want more mods? Make some ;)
After Hexen, Dark mod and Phobos, that's probably it for dumb3 modding.

printz said:Are Team Future going to make and release casual Doom 3 maps after they're done with Phobos? :)

We're currently five mappers and I can't speak for them all, but personally I will probably never touch doom3 mapping ever again after Phobos :P

Xenphire said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)
After we cut down the scope of the mod, we are getting pretty close. Pretty close meaning within two years, realistically.

Phobos also includes a more traditional attack for the arch-vile as well as dynamic respawning and a pain elemental :P

On Doom4: Id software has spoken about Doom4 on many occasions since announcing it. They rarely share any details on the project, but it's very much alive and it has its own internal team with its own internal leader (Kevin Cloud). Carmack has very little to do with the actual game design these days, so the blame should be placed on the main game designer instead.

That said, I don't have high hopes for Doom4 myself. Yet anyway.

Shaviro said:

but it's very much alive and it has its own internal team with its own internal leader (Kevin Cloud).

That's very good to know. Kevin Cloud = Doomguy.

Three related things:

1. More human survivors the player can interact with, a la Quake 4, and

2. The ability to shoot at human survivors. This could be done via allowing interaction via ctrl-shoot instead of the cross-hairs changing when you point at another human, and

3. Those humans can react in self-defense when you fire at them, including the ability to shoot and hurt/kill you.

I think this will all add to the general "oh, shit we're in a fucked-up situation now" feel of the game.

Clonehunter said:

Love the above story, but beyond that:

What I'd like to see in Doom 4 would be some kind of Arachnotron like monster or a cool new version of the Pain Elemental. Also, perhaps a couple cool looking new monsters that add to the realm of horror...

I'm on board with that. Please, no more Sergeant Lame-O's that end up in monster wheel-chairs.

I agree to most of what was said about a faster gameplay, tough monsters and all that.

What I don't want is stuff like driving vehicles, health regeneration, weapons that shoot a million colorful sparks, npc interaction.......

Damn, I don't want any of the "modern shooter" crap that seems to affect ninety percent of fps' today.

And about the weapons, Doom 1 was supposed to be in the future, however it had only two futuristic weapons, the others were common and I really like that.

Clonehunter said:

i jus' wannt doommm4 to be just like COmmanddo Keenfy

You want to search for Martian Agnostics, jump over tiny, but lethal imps, and dodge giant, swimming hell knights that think SWIM SWIM HUNGRY?

Lol, I thought that I could just step back a bit from the whole "Doom 4 should be Doom 1" bandwagon and throw in some mockery. Nonetheless, I'd like to see another Commander Keen though anyways, well, as long as it stays a innovative side scroller.

You know, CK might be fun as an FPS, too. Maybe an FPS RPG. I've always liked games that combined FPS with RPG. Blowing demons away AND problem solving? Shazam!