Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

How big is your Doom folder?

I have about 2 GB worth of wads including 6 various sources ports that I have along with them.

9.2GiB

I did recently go through it and tried to remove as many dupes as I could... or in cases where the dupes were multiple versions I put them all into git repos to save space... a bit of work but overall worth it. :p

I know that my Doom folder(s) were in excess of three gigabytes back in 2004 I think. I've since lost all the amazing level sets I had saved and its a mere 418 MB currently.

8.8 GB. That includes IWADs, PWADs, a dozen different source ports (half of which I barely touch,) another dozen editing utilities that I have even though I do virtually no editing, and God knows what else.

Quick edit: Looking at it, it looks that most of it has to do with downloading a shitload of crap off of the Skulltag servers, which can go upwards of 150 MB per file.

The size in GB alone doesn't say everything. I mean, to compare extremes, I have more DOOM files than Woolie Wool, yet he uses over 5 times the disk space for the games. (Now my DOOM folder is down to 1.75 GB and 15,470 files after some more zipping.)

mammajamma said:
Looking at it, it looks that most of it has to do with downloading a shitload of crap off of the Skulltag servers, which can go upwards of 150 MB per file.

Yeah, Skulltag takes up a lot of space, even just by itself. Since I don't use it much, I 7-zipped its skulltag.wad, to unzip it when I need it. That WAD should definitely be a pk3 or, better yet, pk7.

ArmouredBlood said:
So yeah, 14 copies ... and I started playing doom seriously just 2 years ago -.-

If you set the DOOMWADDIR environment variable most engines based on the released source and many editing tools (including WinTex) will pick the IWAD up without you having to specify the location. Most use DOOM2.WAD as the default (you generally use -iwad, without the path, to select another) but a few use DOOM.WAD (DeuTex, at least, which forces one to rename it to use DOOM2.WAD instead).

855M in my ~/Doom2 folder.

859MB in my ~/Nexus2 folder I use currently with subfolders for each project I am working on. But a lot of duplicated files between each.

And DVII-1i.wad is big... But Good.

linux@localhost:Nexus2$ ls -hula DVII-1i.wad
-rwxrwxrwx 1 linux 10001 170M 08-09-10 07:48 am DVII-1i.wad

myk said:

Yeah, Skulltag takes up a lot of space, even just by itself. Since I don't use it much, I 7-zipped its skulltag.wad, to unzip it when I need it. That WAD should definitely be a pk3 or, better yet, pk7.

As of version .98a (it's currently at 98c, and 98d is forthcoming), Skulltag has been using .pk3 as its data storage.

Cool. Yeah, I hadn't used it in a while and still had 0.97d4...

Thinking about it, my Doom wad collection is a bit pointless, as an awful lot of them never will get replayed or used in any way. I'm tempted to clear out the entire lot (aside from the stuff I am making/have made) and start fresh with ZDoom, the IWADs (even though HeXen and Heretic don't see much use) and the editing tools I use. At the same time, some of the wads and stuff I've got are definitely replayed a lot (AD2, for example) so I'd probably want to grab some of the "givens" again, particularly for co-op with my brother.

Alternately, I could just leave all this stuff here and let attrition do the work for me.

It's about 5 GB on my main Doom computer, it has moved from several computers over the years. Amazingly not much of that is wad files, I don't even have big releases like AD2 on that machine. I do however have several megs of demos there, resources, unfinished levels, engines, projects, and many backup map files.

~770 Mb. 5% Doom port binaries, 95% personal projects. I haven't kept other WADs around since the /idgames archive became so easily searchable.

exl said:

~770 Mb. 5% Doom port binaries, 95% personal projects. I haven't kept other WADs around since the /idgames archive became so easily searchable.

I don't have any more Zdoom directly on my computer, but I use Urban Brawl for every doom map and that is only a few (Gyrotechnics, Wart 04: Den of Evil, Pacman Doom 2, School Doom II, Hell's Twisted Influence: Episode #2). Hey exl, do you mean Excel? I use Excel 2000, because the new released Excel is useless and still in production.

Deeforce said:

Hey exl, do you mean Excel? I use Excel 2000, because the new released Excel is useless and still in production.

Just Exl. I don't know how to pronounce it myself.

Deeforce said:

I don't have any more Zdoom directly on my computer, but I use Urban Brawl for every doom map

lulz.

Urban Brawl is nothing more than an old version of ZDoom. The only difference was that it could recognize action2.wad as an IWAD, but so does ZDoom now anyway.

Deeforce said:

Wart 04: Den of Evil

lulz.

That's a Skulltag map. It uses Skulltag-specific stuff. It won't work right with what you use for it.

Deeforce said:

Hey exl, do you mean Excel? I use Excel 2000, because the new released Excel is useless and still in production.

lulz?