Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iLLbeint

Screenshots in PrBoom?

Having a slight problem. I map the Screenshot action to a key somewhere i.e. Pad4. I press this button, and i hear the sound that plays for the screenshot, and i can never find it. Anywhere. So i resort to PrintScreening, which is time-consuming cutting away. Any help?

It dumps the screen shot into the working directory from which you launched PrBoom-Plus (assuming you refer to PrBoom-Plus, not PrBoom, i dont' know if this is any different between the two.)

Generally, it's the directory that PrBoom-Plus is located in.

But its on my desktop in a separate folder. I digged around my pc and found it in my App Data folder. TONS of screens :p If there a way i can edit my .cfg to have it mapped to a folder specifically for screenshots?

iLLbeint said:

But its on my desktop in a separate folder. I digged around my pc and found it in my App Data folder. TONS of screens :p If there a way i can edit my .cfg to have it mapped to a folder specifically for screenshots?

PrBoom saves screenshots in its folder, only there.

If you found it in
"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\prboom-plus"
then say thanks Bill Gates for that transparent smartness, that allows you to save config, screenshots, etc even if you have no rights for doing that.

Put your copy of PrBoom-Plus outside of Program Files (d:\games\prboom-plus as example) if you do not like such behaviour.

This happens to me sometimes too, with all doom ports I use (they aren't in program files). So I just search for pictures created on the date the screenshots were taken to find them.

This happens to me sometimes too, with all doom ports I use (they aren't in program files). So I just search for pictures created on the date the screenshots were taken to find them.

Heh, I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks. Always assumed my PrBoom screenshots dissapeared in limbo, but it turns out they end up in C:\Documents and Settings (yet my PrBoom+ is in D:\Games\Doom).

Phml said:

Heh, I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks. Always assumed my PrBoom screenshots dissapeared in limbo, but it turns out they end up in C:\Documents and Settings (yet my PrBoom+ is in D:\Games\Doom).

How do you start prboom? I looked at sources, prboom saves screenshots in current_dir, not in exe_dir. For my methods of starting prboom, current_dir is always equal to exe_dir. Do you use 'drag and drop' for playing wads?

What other ports use as screenshots dir by default for Windows? EXE dir?

Typically I have the PrBoom+ folder open and maximized and I drag and drop pwads on the executable.

I do the same thing in ZDoom and GZDoom and for these ports, the screenshots end up in their respective folders.

Phml said:

I do the same thing in ZDoom and GZDoom and for these ports, the screenshots end up in their respective folders.

It's implemented differently there because it uses a "screenshot_dir" console variable to determine where they go (and uses program directory as a fallback if it's not set). So screenshots always end up at the same place.

See M_ScreenShot() in m_misc.cpp for all the extra details.

Ok, I've added "-shotdir" command line switch and "screenshot_dir" config variable. Default folder for screenshots is changed to exe_dir.

entryway said:

Ok, I've added "-shotdir" command line switch and "screenshot_dir" config variable. Default folder for screenshots is changed to exe_dir.

I know it's a long, long shot to expect this, but it would be nice if all ports could adopt the "-shotdir" argument.