Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

Buying Second-hand games could now be illegal

caco_killer said:

One particular game on Steam does not represent the entire digital distribution market.

Right, but the argument of Steam and DD fanboys is that they are always, inherently cheaper. Always. And that it's always peaches and cream, that it's t3h h4x and t3h p4wn and whatnot.

Well guess what idiots, it's not. Suck it down. So in the end you pay MORE for a game you don't even have the fucking box/CD/DVD, and that you may/may not backup depending on where you live? Wow, that's great! Where do I sign up?

The new nature is factory farms.
The new internet is twitter.
The new black market is the second hand market.

The new nature is factory farms.
The new internet is twitter.
The new black market is the second hand market.And The New world is Hell.

It's all just corporate shill, it's what they're forcing into our lives for money.

John Smith said:

Maes is channeling his inner Enjay. It's classy. Like Enjay.

Awww, and I that was hoping to channel my inner Hobbs to match my "teacher", and express those exquisite, random, mercurial, stream-of-consciousness-like transitions between extreme lucidity and EXTREEEEEME111!!111!! trolling.

Seems I'll have to settle with something more tame ;-)

Quasar said:

Didn't mean that FFVII invented FMV, only that it was one of, if not the first, games on its scale to use it so extensively in a successful manner and be a wildly unprecedented commercial success and a game that people still discuss more than a decade later. Its cinematic quality was on par with any of the animated films that are regularly released now. It changed the definition of what a game could be.

*Cough*Myst*cough* - The best selling PC game throughout the -90s until the Sims exceeded it in 2002.
Now, yeah. It was not truly FMV as most of the animations were quite small to fit on the CD (usually they were layered on top of static images to save resources). But the game that was that, was it's sequel Riven. Which also was a big budget game and great commercial success.

EDIT: Then there were plenty of games like "Ripper". Which essentially were movies, with actual film actors like Burgess Meredith and Christoffer Walken. They never really caught on though. But FF didn't pioneer anything in this regard really. And the FMV isn't as good as you make it out to be. I got curious and checked them out. The mechanical stuff did look pretty decent (but that's always been easy). But the characters look and animate just as bad as they did in real time 3d.

Then there's of course C&C.

Dunno what's up with you and FMV, people. There were games that were 100% FMV by then (and those usually were failures/gimicks) and games that actually combined a LOT of FMV with an interactive 3D world (*cough cough* Under A Killing Moon, *cough cough* Pandora Directive, on 4 and 6 CDs respectively) way before FF VII or VIII or whatever did. FF VII was just a hack-n-slash game with WoW-like graphics (I sometimes have difficulty telling the gameplay screenshots apart) with some pretty pre-rendered FMV thrown in, end of story.

Let alone that I once had an epic fight over FF VII (without even playing it!) because some moron stated that its FMV was possible "due to the advances in microprocessors" (No dude had this on DOS in 1993 it's no big deal) "WHAAAAT?! HOW DARE YOUR!!! NO U DIDN'T!!!11!! U LIAR R FULL OF SHIT")

Again regarding FMV's failure, there was an even darker side to the story: "games" made for that VHS-based "game system" from the 80s, Action Max, eventually got recycled on the Sega CD, 3DO, etc. and on PC/Macs as "3D INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA GAMES/ADVENTURES ZOMG", and I'm sure that OnLive will probably try to push some of those out of the window, too, as these "games" can do fine with bandwidth without low latency.

sheeple said:

It's all just corporate shill, it's what they're forcing into our lives for money.

Yeah, so wake up, shee- oh wait.

kristus said:

But FF didn't pioneer anything in this regard really. And the FMV isn't as good as you make it out to be. I got curious and checked them out. The mechanical stuff did look pretty decent (but that's always been easy). But the characters look and animate just as bad as they did in real time 3d.

For some reason some of the earlier FMV's in FF7 had characters who looked the same as they did in the actual game (ie random geometic shapes with drawn-on eyes), whilst later ones had the characters looking more realistic.

deathbringer said:

For some reason some of the earlier FMV's in FF7 had characters who looked the same as they did in the actual game (ie random geometic shapes with drawn-on eyes), whilst later ones had the characters looking more realistic.

In those scenes the polygon models are being rendered in real-time over a background video layer. Since the game was developed as a lot of separate modules by various different teams, I guess some of them had different ideas on how to make use of the available resources. Also this is most frequently done when the game is going to cut straight from the video back to game play, giving a somewhat less jarring transition.

Maes said:

Dunno what's up with you and FMV, people. There were games that were 100% FMV by then (and those usually were failures/gimicks) and games that actually combined a LOT of FMV with an interactive 3D world (*cough cough* Under A Killing Moon, *cough cough* Pandora Directive, on 4 and 6 CDs respectively) way before FF VII or VIII or whatever did. FF VII was just a hack-n-slash game with WoW-like graphics (I sometimes have difficulty telling the gameplay screenshots apart) with some pretty pre-rendered FMV thrown in, end of story.

Let alone that I once had an epic fight over FF VII (without even playing it!) because some moron stated that its FMV was possible "due to the advances in microprocessors" (No dude had this on DOS in 1993 it's no big deal) "WHAAAAT?! HOW DARE YOUR!!! NO U DIDN'T!!!11!! U LIAR R FULL OF SHIT")

Again regarding FMV's failure, there was an even darker side to the story: "games" made for that VHS-based "game system" from the 80s, Action Max, eventually got recycled on the Sega CD, 3DO, etc. and on PC/Macs as "3D INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA GAMES/ADVENTURES ZOMG", and I'm sure that OnLive will probably try to push some of those out of the window, too, as these "games" can do fine with bandwidth without low latency.

It wasn't all bad, though. There were games like Novastorm and Silpheed CD which were actually pretty cohesive srolling shooters that relied heavily on FMV for their visuals. There were flaws, though - you could just hang around and wait for the boss to either self-destruct, or the boss would have an inescapable insta-death attack at the end of the video stream if you took too long to put him down.

I was going to mention Rebel Assault, but then I remembered how bad it was.

There was also an MS-DOS motorcycle racing game (Cyclemania) that combined some cartoony motorcycle sprites with pre-recorded real road footage. Now, even if the contrast between the sprites and the (VGA-resolution, 256-color) video was stark, the effect was actually convincing and the game playable (however the motorcycles and other road vehicles/obstacles looked like ass, and the collision detection was worse than on Test Drive 1).

Then of course there were Megarace and Megarace 2....now these actually had good FMV visuals, car models and gameplay, but the most part the FMV era has only left scar tissue on the face of videogaming. It's only redeeming factor was that -for a limited period of time- video could deliver more complex visuals than real-time rendering with a relatively moderate use of CPU power (e.g. Cyclemania was playable even on a 386 and looked smoother than Doom) but even that advantage soon waned.

The worst aspect of it was that (3rd rate) movie producers or "MULTIMEDIA CONTENT CREATORS ZOMG" suddenly discovered that they could "graduate" to "video game authors" with little to no effort, and of course that backlashed horribly.

As for FF VII or VIII or whatever... SECOND PARAGRAPH OF THE GAMER'S MANIFESTO, BITCH!!!. 'Nuff said.

See also: just about anything done by Cryo. Megarace is probably the only example of a game where mediocre gameplay was actually compensated for by the FMV sequences.

Well,Thank god I live in canada,I personally this is a dumbass move. Lots of stores would struggle if they can't sell second hand games and alot of vintage stores would go out of buiseness

Yeah, because what happens in a high-echelon, highly controlled market with few big players (and few big users) and where each piece of the software goes for several thousands of dollars is totally applicable to the bargain bin POS you buy from your redneck neighbor's garage sale.[/sarcasm]

Its overall ridiculous, big boys who cant pee in their pants publicly.

or even better expressed, big boys whore afraid of the ants beacuse they can bite if you poke then with ur fingers. dude thats so low ...