Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Scratch what I said earlier with the "better players should get 29" garbage. Looks like 27 is doable, and players like Dew should get 26.

Map 26 NM Speed in 0:28.

30l26n028.zip

dew said:

what is this supposed to be? oh, a bandwagon! *jumps*

c map10 nm speed in 0:21

the cybie is hilarious. still improvable! the naming convention sucks, though.

Not much skill involved with this run, just a lot of luck. I reached the exit about once every 20 attempts...the other times were all either blasted off the ledge, or blasted back into the teleporter. Fun stuff.

30LVLs Map 10 NM Speed in 0:20.

30l10n020.zip

Caverns of Darkness:

MAP05 UV Max 13:45
MAP07 UV Max 11:07
MAP12 UV Max 3:14

Just like for my demos recorded a few months ago, I used ZDoom 2.4.1 and this patch

I'd love to include MAP09 UV Max as well, but... this is probably too tough for me (=a demo is unlikely). I just died after 55 minutes of play, having killed 625 monsters out of 788 present at the moment. A rocket launcher trooper killed me, of course :(

caverns4.zip

Heh, that 30lvls WAD has some rather annoying game play overall, but the small levels do favor speeding to a degree.

Qaatar said:
Edit: Here's a much better run.

It's really better to make a new post rather than edit one a few days later. People might not notice it's updated, and the old demo doesn't hurt, as it shows the progression of submissions beating each other. I spotted the 22 second run only because I went back to check who had recorded the 28 second demo (there was a text file but it was unsigned.)

Also, people, check your command lines. Some (30l10024, 30l26-030, 30l26n028, 30l10n020) are PrBoom/+ default demos. One way to go about this reliably with PrBoom/+ is to have one shortcut or batch file for each compatibility level used,* as if they were "the executable file" depending on the maps played, to avoid having to change or set it for each demo, which is easy to forget or mistype.

PS: Heh, vdgg, now that I'm at it... might want to upgrade your ZDoom to 2.5.0.

myk said:
Heh, vdgg, now that I'm at it... might want to upgrade your ZDoom to 2.5.0.

I thought a potential watcher would be annoyed needing to download two different versions for my older and newer CoD demos. 2.5.0 could be the newest ZDoom at the moment, but in 2011 it will probably be replaced by another one... So I think my decision is justified.

myk said:

Heh, that 30lvls WAD has some rather annoying game play overall, but the small levels do favor speeding to a degree.

It's really better to make a new post rather than edit one a few days later. People might not notice it's updated, and the old demo doesn't hurt, as it shows the progression of submissions beating each other. I spotted the 22 second run only because I went back to check who had recorded the 28 second demo (there was a text file but it was unsigned.)

Also, people, check your command lines. Some (30l10024, 30l26-030, 30l26n028, 30l10n020) are PrBoom/+ default demos. One way to go about this reliably with PrBoom/+ is to have one shortcut or batch file for each compatibility level used,* as if they were "the executable file" depending on the maps played, to avoid having to change or set it for each demo, which is easy to forget or mistype.

PS: Heh, vdgg, now that I'm at it... might want to upgrade your ZDoom to 2.5.0.

Yeah, I felt like I was inundating this thread with my posts, and honestly, didn't really feel like calling attention to a small improvement on a rather insignificant demo. I'll note for the future to make a new post for every new demo that I make. :)

As far as the 30lvls.wad comp level goes, I was not aware that it required any specific comp level, so I just went with the default. This is more or less due to the fact that I was just fooling around (i.e. not recording seriously), so I didn't bother with the comp levels. Just an oversight and more or less laziness on my part.

If you saw for my other demos (SOD, PL2, Vile), I specifically noted the comp levels that I used in the text. You'll also notice that my txt file became a little more "professional" as well (copied Dew's). I suppose that it's a bias towards the bigger and more established wads, which I am culpable of. This is not to denigrate 30lvls in any way, just a smug mistake from inattention on my end.

vdgg said:
2.5.0 could be the newest ZDoom at the moment, but in 2011 it will probably be replaced by another one...

Yeah, I thought about that after commenting... it was also a "just in case" comment because I had forgotten about or missed the ZDoom update until Khaoscythe used v2.5.0 for a SOD demo the other day.

Phml said:

NewGothic map09 UV NotMax in 4:56

Nice, as far as I could tell nothing that got revived survived so it should be valid. And lol phil, you choose the easiest map to do that on ;p

ArmouredBlood said:

And lol phil, you choose the easiest map to do that on ;p

lol yea it is too easy to speedrun. I'm thinking about doing an UVmax of map07 if I can pull it off(I can beat it with saves for the moment).

Caverns of Darkness:

MAP04 UV Max 29:34
MAP09 UV Max attempt 72:40

(Zdoom 2.4.1 and Graf Zahl's patch, as a few posts above)

Well, these are quite long demos, so I'll describe them shortly, so that you could know whether they are worth watching.

MAP04 is a wonderful big map (if you need inspiration) and this is a 4 minute improvement over my old Max demo, so this Max should be average at least.

MAP09 is a less spectacular map, but the 3D bridges area is still awesome. This map is trivial on HNTR, not too difficult on HMP and... the most difficult map on UV I have ever played and finished with success. Cchest2 MAP24 was much, much easier and was similar to this because of severe ammo shortage and some ammo saving strategies. 100% kills cannot be obtained, but I also skipped 7 barons to kill them later and forgot to kill them, so not a true Max.

caverns5.zip

Doomsday of UAC
UV-Max in 6:42(-complevel 2)
UV-Speed in 2:58(including Lost souls, -complevel 2)

Excellent wad from 1994. This wad is for doom.wad, but it is can't be played on complevel 3 because Tag 666 doesn't work 2 times, so I chose complevel 2 by myk's advice.

Please play back demos under doom.exe v1.9 compatibility (Not the exe for Ultimate Doom).

uacdead_tatsurd.zip

Vrack 2b UV Max in 22:05.

vdgg said:

It would be great to see a 22:30 demo; this is the time Adam would have registered with my route ;-)

Heh, you can get that time with more aggressive playing. If even I can get that time, the most talented SP Doomer in history can do a 19:5x easily.

Qaatar said:
Vrack 2b UV Max in 22:05.

First of all, congrats! I didn't expect my "record" to be challenged, I thought it would be so unlikely I deleted Vrack2b from my HDD. Not because of any quality aspects of my demo; by the time of my recording (not so long ago) I just couldn't think of anyone except maybe Anima Zero and Tatsurd-cacocaco who would find enjoyable maxing a level this big. (Now that I think about it, Heretic and TimeofDeath could also do that). Anyway, you never know for sure which records are in "danger" and which not.

Thanks for crediting me, even though it wasn't all that necessary. I could recognize some of "my" elements in your demo, such as invuln usage, but you came with plenty of your own unique ideas I didn't see before (a jump to the cell pack near the arachnotron from another angle, yellow skull key area and more). I didn't watch your demo with a timer, but my general impression was that your treatment of that building with light goggles was simply superb, that was my absolutely favourite part. Also, "low health galore"! :)

Now, it may sound rude to criricize anything in your demo when I couldn't and will not be able to record a faster one, but I'd give it another go if I were you. This bulk cell you saved but forgot to pick up before entering the final building... I watched it with disbelief. But if you say the infighting made up for it and there's no sense in improving from your part, I will believe you.

PS This is of course speculation to say what time a certain player would get, but a funny one. Would we take into consideration that the cyberdemon fighting techniques have advanced since Adam's demo recording time or not?

vdgg said:

First of all, congrats! I didn't expect my "record" to be challenged, I thought it would be so unlikely I deleted Vrack2b from my HDD. Not because of any quality aspects of my demo; by the time of my recording (not so long ago) I just couldn't think of anyone except maybe Anima Zero and Tatsurd-cacocaco who would find enjoyable maxing a level this big. (Now that I think about it, Heretic and TimeofDeath could also do that). Anyway, you never know for sure which records are in "danger" and which not.

Thanks for crediting me, even though it wasn't all that necessary. I could recognize some of "my" elements in your demo, such as invuln usage, but you came with plenty of your own unique ideas I didn't see before (a jump to the cell pack near the arachnotron from another angle, yellow skull key area and more). I didn't watch your demo with a timer, but my general impression was that your treatment of that building with light goggles was simply superb, that was my absolutely favourite part. Also, "low health galore"! :)

Now, it may sound rude to criricize anything in your demo when I couldn't and will not be able to record a faster one, but I'd give it another go if I were you. This bulk cell you saved but forgot to pick up before entering the final building... I watched it with disbelief. But if you say the infighting made up for it and there's no sense in improving from your part, I will believe you.

PS This is of course speculation to say what time a certain player would get, but a funny one. Would we take into consideration that the cyberdemon fighting techniques have advanced since Adam's demo recording time or not?

I got so nervous at the cyber that I couldn't remember the route very well afterwards. Expounding upon the "ending was complete shit" comment: I just basically had a vague and abstract idea of what was supposed to happen in the last parts of the map, but that's obviously not enough, and it showed. It was the direct result of replaying the earlier areas too much and the later areas not enough - I spent about 14-15 hours total on this map these past few days, in which around 12-13 hours were spent trying to get the first 10 minutes or so down.

The map is surprisingly deadly if one takes it too aggressively, and I was punished pretty severely at times for being a tad too aggressive, especially for such a long map. However, I was not confident that I could beat your time, so I had to take some risks. :)
...and yes, I feel pretty confident in saying: I highly doubt that I can improve upon this time. The infighting in the earlier areas is decidely not replicable without some serious effort and time, and while my play is shoddy in some areas, nothing can make up for luck - not even an extra cell pack or two. :)

While we're speculating upon what players can or cannot achieve, I think it is fair to say that many of the old Legends like Hegyi, Vile, Ocelot, Pecka, etc. have a higher skill base in most areas of play than most of us recording today (maybe with the exception of Belial or ToD). Even if techniques have advanced, I can see someone like Hegyi grasping those improvements easily and incorporating them into his play, resulting in something like a 19:5x for this map, lol.

Edit: Actually, I think it is precisely AdamH who devised the two-shot cyber strategy in the first place. If you watch his demo of 3-tech "vrgl_3t.wad" and Opulent's "op_801.wad," Hegyi utilizes the strategy well all the way back in 2001.

vdgg said:

Caverns of Darkness:

MAP04 UV Max 29:34
MAP09 UV Max attempt 72:40

(Zdoom 2.4.1 and Graf Zahl's patch, as a few posts above)

Well, these are quite long demos, so I'll describe them shortly, so that you could know whether they are worth watching.

MAP04 is a wonderful big map (if you need inspiration) and this is a 4 minute improvement over my old Max demo, so this Max should be average at least.

MAP09 is a less spectacular map, but the 3D bridges area is still awesome. This map is trivial on HNTR, not too difficult on HMP and... the most difficult map on UV I have ever played and finished with success. Cchest2 MAP24 was much, much easier and was similar to this because of severe ammo shortage and some ammo saving strategies. 100% kills cannot be obtained, but I also skipped 7 barons to kill them later and forgot to kill them, so not a true Max.

While I haven't had a chance to watch these demos yet, I wanted to mention something about map 9.

Tried to wake up those cacos in the one area with the metal walkways and I believe a keycard to collect in the area as well (Which you said a couple can't be awakened because they are deaf and whatnot). Found out it's possible to awaken all of them if you just hug every corner and edge of the metal walkways to the extreme. Of course, getting them to come up to a point where you can kill them is another matter :P.

My testing was done with GZDoom 1.5.03. Not sure if that makes a huge difference or not.

I'd also like to strangle whomever thought those invisible hell knights were a good idea. I was wondering why the hell I died at one point playing this level with saves when there was nothing in front of me. Took a minute to realize it, some words were said...none very nice :P.

I'm tempted to give this map a whirl for a UV-Max recording in the coming days. Huge, enemy packed, difficult, pretty nice (Aside from those bleeping invisible hell knights...).

Well, I had one saved game on HMP with an unawakened caco, so I could make a quick test, and indeed, you're right. Thus, the source port version does not make a difference. May the force be with you :)

Here's a bunch of unreleased Killing Adventure demos
I made during the summer.

Map 1 in 0:19
Map 4 in 1:49
Map 7 in 0:52
Map 11 in 4:07
Map 18 in 1:51
Map 25 in 1:19
Map 29 in 0:40

ka-rev.zip

here's a pack of demos of me demonstrating that new stormbreaker.wad challenge mod on all 5 difficulties for comparisons using toughguy.wad for doom 1. Included is also a demo where I let the monsters kill me just to show how unfair the damage is on 'realistic'. Enjoy!

sbtglmps.zip

After a few days on and off of trying the level, dying at the worst times, and so on...

Caverns of Darkness, map 9 "Hellmine", UV-Max in 51:14. I did use IDDT because sometimes those cacos in the green keycard area are royal pricks and refuse to rise unless you can get them hanging against a pillar so they can rise. In this case though, that was not needed since the one caco I usually have problems with coming up without trying to lure it to a pillar came up quite easily this time around.

Also, I got to speak my little word about those hell knights that are invisible.

Close calls abound too.

Under 50 minutes is possible here.

Recorded with GZDoom 1.5.03 with the cod-zd.pk3 patch.

cod095114.zip

Just wow... that was intense... I can't believe you survived the after-black keycard battles handling them this way.

Spoiler

Summary: there are 2 soulspheres and 2 megaarmors to be collected during these battles, but for me they were not sufficient and I had an additional megasphere + 80 untouched shotgun shells saved, and still I played a little cowardice. Anima's style was like "hey, I don't care if I die, let's keep the things interesting". What also did surprise me in your demo was your ammo treatment. Sure, you didn't waste too much, but it was not Scrooge McDuck style, as in my demo (about 100 enemies punched, etc.) and still you didn't end up with bare hands in any moment. Killing baddies behind chaingunners in the BK area was courageous. I can say the same thing about not killing revenants behind the Spider Mastermind from below, but much later. I loved the moment behind the green key door (a descending stairway, two pain elementals, some barons and HKs, and an arch-vile behind them). Anima just went through with his BFG, retreating only when his health dropped to 4%. Overall, I found this demo ultra-aggressive for such a long map. And you made it in just a few days...

Anima Zero said:
As for the cybie, gotta be careful. Sometimes it's 3rd rocket gets randomly replaced with a BFG shot. Yeah....sure....right....
Thankfully, that doesn't seem to start appearing until the cybie goes low on life.

Good catch! I also noticed that the BFG shots appear when the cyberdemon is close to death (dying convulsions?), but I didn't know the first two shots are always rockets.