Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

GZDoom 1.5.3 released

A new version of GZDoom is available. Changes since 1.5.2 are mostly bug fixes (restoring stability to the port), but also a new and improved menu code which allows to (optionally) control the menus with the mouse. Modders can now also define custom menus with the MENUDEF lump. Changes since 1.5.0 also include a textured automap, USDF/ZSDF support, HMI music support, and using FluidSynth as a MIDI playback device.

Cool beans. I never understood why mouse-support wasn't implemented for the menus.

Now if only we could go back on the menus with the backspace button... :)

Mouse support in the menus is one of those things that you'd expect out of a port like (G)ZDoom, but was curiously missing up until now.

Fantastic work guys. Keep it up.

gemini09 said:

I never understood why mouse-support wasn't implemented for the menus.

Because the menu code had to be re-written for it to be supported, and nobody really felt like doing all that work (otherwise it would have been done a long time ago).

Sorry, but the mouse pointer is too out-of-place. Can I hide it, or at least change its appearance to something more appropriate to Doom, such as the skull?

printz said:

Sorry, but the mouse pointer is too out-of-place. Can I hide it, or at least change its appearance to something more appropriate to Doom, such as the skull?

The cursor is handled by Windows. If you want to replace it, you can, but it'll have to be 32x32 maximum.

esselfortium said:

Deeeerrrrrp

jukenukem4d said:

GZDoom kicks ass! Why do people even bother using other ports?

That's the feeling I have too when I can't run much else (save Eternity). For now I'm safe, but it won't take long...

jukenukem4d said:

I like to vary my food, although GZDoom is damn good spice.

jukenukem4d said:

Demos

going to have to try out the automap

jukenukem4d said:

Because there are some of us who doesn't play Doom in Opengl although I myself have us this port occasionally for certain wads. In fact the last time I use it I was playing the first beta of Serpent: Resurrection.

I do question some times why would people use ZDoom when there's GZDoom. While ZDoom is nearly useless in Heretic and Hexen, in Doom some of the decoration looks plain wrong in OpenGL, such as the Doom 1 lamps which get sunken into the pavement, and any vanilla map using a starry sky will look dumb in GL-skybox-mode.

printz said:

I do question some times why would people use ZDoom when there's GZDoom. While ZDoom is nearly useless in Heretic and Hexen, in Doom some of the decoration looks plain wrong in OpenGL, such as the Doom 1 lamps which get sunken into the pavement, and any vanilla map using a starry sky will look dumb in GL-skybox-mode.

Some people prefer the look of the software renderer. Also, the Heretic E3 sky looks very dumb as well if you look up.

As for sprite clipping, it's unfortunate, but there's no real alternative. You can try some of the options to see how they fare. None are perfect, though.

Gez said:

Also, the Heretic E3 sky looks very dumb as well if you look up.

The only excuse is that the ceiling of that dome is shrouded in fog. However, it fails it indeed: the dome is hemispherical, all of it would have needed to be shrouded in fog. And water actually stays behind the glass. It's water the one which is supposed to block vision, not the air inside. So yeah, you're right. Still, it's not as egregious as deep space sky.

I tend to only use GZdoom for things that profoundly change doom. But, that's my preference. :P

jukenukem4d said:

2/10
troll harder

Doom Marine said:

Sweet, this one actually runs OpenGL and dynamic lights on my ATI card.

What card are you using? I'm on ati 3870 and it's still buggy.

On the plus side, mouse menus are great.

BlackFish said:

What card are you using? I'm on ati 3870 and it's still buggy.

On the plus side, mouse menus are great.

What's buggy? And what drivers are you using?

rf` said:

Why.

Compared to GZDoom? Well, the sprite imperfections are less noticeable in those two games than in the other two, that's why I said that. And looking in GZDoom won't distort perspective, will allow full color sprites (no more texture restrictions) and radiated light, which is much cooler than sector light. Not to mention 3d floors.