Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

What exe should I use to import textures?

ok no matter how much stupid this sounds beacuse of that I am supposed to already know this, but I need to know now beacuse Im DERpish enough to dont know.

( ok ok DO NOT use XWE, EVER )

thinking about this:
which is less buggy?
which has highest chance of not fucking something up?
which is easiest to use?
which has most features but still is easy to learn?

I would like to know which to use :)

now I'll try to make colored lights

Slade3 is probably the most stable wad editor around, but it is still in development and may be missing a few features. SlumpEd is another option, but it still has bugs and crashes occasionally (though in my experience it has been more stable than XWE).

Also, beware of inserting textures with XWE, and then editing them in SlumpEd, something about strings in Delphi vs. C++, it will fill your texture lumps with garbage characters (or maybe it is the other way around- can someone else explain this part better?)

bgraybr said:

Also, beware of inserting textures with XWE, and then editing them in SlumpEd, something about strings in Delphi vs. C++, it will fill your texture lumps with garbage characters (or maybe it is the other way around- can someone else explain this part better?)

Yeah, that's about it. If you edit something with SLumpEd, the strings are C's null-terminated strings, so if a PNAMES or TEXTURES name is shorter than 8 characters, it gets a 0 to mark the end, and what remains after is of no consequence. SLumpEd does not overwrite it all with zeros. XWE will then read all nine bytes of the name (normally eight characters plus the null termination), and will "helpfully" convert into spaces any null that happens before the end, making garbage characters part of the name, and breaking everything.

SLADE3 makes sure to fill all unused bytes in a name with zeroes to avoid this problem.

Admittedly, I have a strange preference when it comes to editors and seem to like outdated ones better, but I've always found WinTex easiest to use.

If you're not afraid of command prompts - DeuTex will do the job. Until Slade3's more-or-less finished I'll stick with XWE and save often.

DooMAD said:

Admittedly, I have a strange preference when it comes to editors and seem to like outdated ones better, but I've always found WinTex easiest to use.

It's a shame Wintex doesn't work on x64 OSes.

OK, I have this editor but now I wanna load in my textures, and I notice from earlier days that there is more to slam into my wad the just the patch-files, is there something i have to do with TEXTURE1 files and similar?

D_GARG said:

OK, I have this editor but now I wanna load in my textures, and I notice from earlier days that there is more to slam into my wad the just the patch-files, is there something i have to do with TEXTURE1 files and similar?

The long method is this:
1. First, you need to add your new patch files to the PNAMES lump.
2. Then you need to define new textures in the TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lump.
3. In these new textures that you define, add the relevant patches, which are referred to by their index in the PNAMES table. Generally, lump editors will let you refer to them by name and do the translation to number themselves, but that's the reason why you may not find them sorted in alphabetical order.

The short method requires a lump editor with some automatized features. Most have. Then you can just select all the patches, and choose "add to texture1" or something like that, and it'll add them to PNAMES if they aren't there already, and define a new texture for each patch, using the patch's name and dimensions. If you want to do anything more complex, you'll have to do it manually.

ok, and if I wanna add new switches from doom64 TC for example?

btw I find XWE easiest to use, but I import the textures first before I start mapping

If you want them to work as switches, you'll have to define new switches using the Boom SWITCHES lump, which you can create through the SWANTBLS tool.

I discovered that the DOOM64 TC textures uses an completely different color scheme and I didnt manage ( yet ) the export and import its textures beacuse there was no patches only a texture1 file containing the files, so I cleaned out the entire megawad and inserted a map which I was testing on, and the result was horrible color vomit.

what to do?

If the textures aren't already in PNG format, convert them to that. Then play in an OpenGL port with truecolor rendering, like GZDoom. (I don't know for sure if GLBoom+ does. I think it forces stuff in Doom's palette to respect certain effects that do require a paletted display.)

You could try using some image editing software to adjust the colors of each texture until they fall in the Doom palette, but doing so would be tedious, long, and completely change the look of the original textures.

A good alternative, if you want to use Doom 64 textures, is to make your map for Doom64 Ex. ;)

Gez said:

You could try using some image editing software to adjust the colors of each texture until they fall in the Doom palette, but doing so would be tedious, long, and completely change the look of the original textures.

Perhaps, but I think recoloring them for use in Doom would actually be truer to Doom64 than using them directly: without Doom64's lighting system, all its textures are revealed to be a yucky grayish-tan, which wasn't really seen in the actual game. Recoloring them into Doom's tan, orangey-tan, green, etc. ranges would result in something that's still notably different than the actual game, but would be probably still more in tune with the way they were intended to be used than it would be to just rip and use them directly.

A good alternative, if you want to use Doom 64 textures, is to make your map for Doom64 Ex. ;)

But of course. :)

D_GARG said:

in the original wad I deleted PLAYPAL

Wait, what?

hmmm well ... its not really nice to have this badly paletted in doombuilder when it comes to edit the map, right now its looks kind of ... hopeless but there must be something.... so if I test the map with the textures in GZDOOM it might workout well?

ok I managed to actually get the correct palette so the textures works fine, but now the gameitself is completely fucked when it comes to the graphics, in game the textures is fucked anyway

must be COLORMAP or PLAYPAL

is there anyway getting past this?

Gez said:

Stop doing it wrong? I don't even understand how you can get these problems.

ok here comes the mystic plumbers: how do I do it right?

Sorry, no, I'm afraid I don't really have anything to contribute to the discussion here, although:

D_GARG said:

here comes the mystic plumbers

...Figured I might just steal that one for my next song title. Hope you don't mind all too much.

Carry on!

esselfortium said:

To know what you did wrong, we first have to know what you actually did.

ok this happend:

I imported textures from the doom64 TC into my own wad, they iddnt look well at all beacuse they didnt have the same color palette as original doom2. so I imported aswell the COLORMAP and PLAYPAL from the doom64 wad.

In doombuilder the preview of the textures became perfectly right, but when thesting a map the HUD and sprites got into wrong color palette probably beacuse of the COLORMAP and PLAYPAL which seemed to fix the problem, just caused another.

so it seem like it looks like this:

I cant fix the textures, by adding something ( PLAYPAL and COLORPALETTE ) that fucks up the look of the doom2 menu, statusbar, etc.

so what shall I do? is there any way to convert these textures color palette and get them straght on the same color palette as doom2 use?

D_GARG said:

I imported textures from the doom64 TC into my own wad, they iddnt look well at all beacuse they didnt have the same color palette as original doom2. so I imported aswell the COLORMAP and PLAYPAL from the doom64 wad.

In doombuilder the preview of the textures became perfectly right, but when thesting a map the HUD and sprites got into wrong color palette probably beacuse of the COLORMAP and PLAYPAL which seemed to fix the problem, just caused another.

Yes, of course. You realize that the sprites and HUD graphics are paletted as well.

Here's what you can do:

* Grab SLADE3 if you don't have it already.
* Open your file with it.
* Select all the textures, and convert them into PNG. The conversion will happen, using the PLAYPAL included in the file. (Though you can optionally change it. But you won't want to here.) Click on "Convert
all."
* Once they're all converted to PNG, delete the PLAYPAL (and COLORMAP) lumps.
* Save.

Further considerations: DB1 has problems with some PNG textures. (I think it was if they have translucency.) DB2 does not have any problem. You'll need to use a port that supports PNG for textures.

Oh, thanks for this post Gez! I was wondering how to work with png files for GZDoom :D. Looks like I will download SLADE3...

st.alfonzo said:

although: ...Figured I might just steal that one for my next song title. Hope you don't mind all too much.

Carry on!

no problem, just I can hear the song :)

Gez said:

Yes, of course. You realize that the sprites and HUD graphics are paletted as well.

Here's what you can do:

* Grab SLADE3 if you don't have it already.
* Open your file with it.
* Select all the textures, and convert them into PNG. The conversion will happen, using the PLAYPAL included in the file. (Though you can optionally change it. But you won't want to here.) Click on "Convert
all."
* Once they're all converted to PNG, delete the PLAYPAL (and COLORMAP) lumps.
* Save.

Further considerations: DB1 has problems with some PNG textures. (I think it was if they have translucency.) DB2 does not have any problem. You'll need to use a port that supports PNG for textures.

If I do this I get fine PNG's, but how do I get these into PNAMES and TEXTURE1? XWE didnt manage to fix it :( nor SLADE3