Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Have you seen the Doom movie?

I haven't seen it yet, in fact I've deliberately put it off after my experiences playing Doom 3 because I don't want to taint my long-maintained appreciation for classic Doom.

Anyone else who hasn't seen the movie yet?

I have not. I've heard that it's horrible if you compare it to the Doom series. If you view it in a filtered mode (where you block out all past doom-related knowledge), it's an okay movie.

This movie is worth to watch once for the few easter eggs if you are looking for a Doom movie as it was intended to be.
I'd suggest Abyssalstudios1's approach though.

Abyssalstudio1's method of watching the Doom movie is the only enjoyable way to watch it. Just ignore the Doom references and the title and you'll just have a generic sci-fi action movie. It's not a terrible movie, it's just average.

It's a decent action-horror sci-fi. Having any "old timer Doomer"-like expectations out of it will just ruin it, so as others suggested you're better off watching it as a "clean slate".

If you really want a "doom like" movie, Alien 2 is much closer in concept, and probably others as well.

I have, just this second in fact, finished watching Event Horizon for what I think is the second time, and in many subtle ways is bears a greater resemblance to Doom than the Doom movie itself. Although yes, the closest thing up off the top of my head is probably Aliens, the "gateway" concept of Horizon - of passing through an alternate dimension - seems more in tune with the franchise than the Universal fiasco that is Dwayne Johnson, Karl Urban and... wait a second:

This thread, that movie, this movie... and I swear I saw Rosamund Pike in Foyle's War this evening. This is too great a coincidence.

I need to get some sleep, and stop worrying about Sam Neil mutilating my unconscious mind from a trans-dimensional reality.

If you pretend you've never played Doom before it's actually a pretty decent movie. I did find it a bit cheesy in some areas however.

You might want to check it out, the Doom movie is pretty cool especially if read every previous post in this thread and restate it in your own words to generate a generic doomworld post.

Sigvatr said:

Anyone else who hasn't seen the movie yet?

I'm a cheap bastard who's waiting for it to turn up on free-to-air TV.

I thought it was shit even for what it was, fanboyism aside. There are plenty of worse movies, but it was hardly worth the money I paid to see it.

Couldn't get much joy out of the movie, to be honest. The FPS sequence was mildly interesting, but also really short and it should have tried for more than it did. As such, it was just boring.

And that was the best part of the movie... save for Dwayne Johnson. For whatever reason, I can't bring myself to dislike that guy.

You will likely enjoy it more if you pretend it's not a Doom movie; that being said, you probably won't enjoy it anyway since it's really not all that well-made in my opinion. The story is dumb and unoriginal (never minding its blatant deviation from the Doom storyline) and the action sequences are too few and largely amount to people shooting at dark things you can't really see. The FPS sequence was sort of cool, but that was basically it.

Not that I mean to play the name game, but director Andrzej Bartkowiak's son was in my school house for a good two years while I was there, and interestingly, he hadn't seen the film himself either.

I think its true what people are saying if you go into it expecting a "doom" movie you will be disappointed, however (with a few exceptions) games or books that are made into films are never as good because what would make a good game or book is not the same as the criteria for a good film that can be shown in 90mins. That said the doom movie does have its good points, the fps sequence is rather enjoyable, as is The Rock's "grizzled Sergent" acting.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Pandorum. It had a Doom vibe to it, at least in the sets and monsters. It kind of reminded me of Dead Space also.

Captain Toenail said:

It's alright if you want a crappy cheesy horror/action thing like Resident Evil, but if you want a quality Doom film you will be disapointed

OT: I agree with this if by Resident Evil you mean the live action films. Degeneration, to my mind, was excellent and really captured the Resident Evil world. I really wish someone (ie/ Id et al!) would do a CGI movie tied closely to the real Doom universe.

I haven't seen it, and everything I have read about it, a lot of it on these forums, does not fill me with the desire to see it anytime soon.

I've only seen a few minutes of the middle of the movie cause that's the part it's always at when I happen to turn to it on FX or something. I usually turn it off and go do something else.

The assholes who made this movie will never get my money. If you're going to make a Doom movie, it had better damn well be about Doom.

I have a soft spot for films that still use practical effects, and there is some pretty cool animatronics in the doom movie. Other then that? Yawn. It's the Resident Evil movies but not as 'good', and if that doesn't tell you how dismal this film gets then you're probably in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.