Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

Star Wars to be re-released in 3d

Hollywood Reporter has revealed that Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox are planning a relaunch of the six Star Wars films beginning in early 2012. One film would be released in that same timeframe per year, starting with The Phantom Menace.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1124144p1.html

I find this depressing. I want a 2d re-release.

This means even more new 3D animated scenes. God fucking damn.

Fuck this! I've saved my 3D cherry for TRON. Fuck if I'm paying to watch this shit in 3D.

As a lifelong star wars fan.

FUCK GEORGE LUCAS. He has seriously turned something great into the biggest joke ever in the last 10 years.

eargosedown said:

FUCK GEORGE LUCAS. He has seriously turned something great into the biggest joke ever in the last 10 years.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And why are you all bitching? I don't see what's wrong about giving a movie a 3d version for those who want to watch it that way. Also GreyGhost's argument: colourful movies are more attractive to watch than grayscale ones.

printz said:

And why are you all bitching? I don't see what's wrong about giving a movie a 3d version for those who want to watch it that way.

Because there is only one way for us to watch a film and thats his "intended" way. We'll get a further molested classic and be stuck with it. People complain about films simply being convert to 3D for the gimmick. Unless the scene/set/environment/focal point has be set properly, the effect looks like an after thought. The real problem is there is word that George is going to re-shoot scenes and make more computer generated douche-baggery to compensate. George has stated it will take a year to prepare each film, so I wouldn't put further butchery past him. We may loose all stop motion effects in Strikes Back all together for all we know.

Also GreyGhost's argument: colourful movies are more attractive to watch than grayscale ones.

I guess you're too young to remember Tuners butchery of some of the biggest classics. Though, I can't tell if you're being ironic or simply missed is point.

Perhaps the space battles and other special effects scenes might look good with stereoscopy, but I would hate to see all the live-action stuff in fake 3D. Plus, they DEFINITELY shouldn't charge high prices if the entire movie isn't in real 3D (and they've earned enough money already on the series...)

And a 2D viewing option (for less price) would be very welcome. And an original edition version, without the more terrible edits.

But the worst news about this, they are releasing the prequels first.

Unless they screw it up and dip it into the uncanny valley with bad 3d, I'm all okay for it.

Mr. T said:

Starting with the Phantom Menance then torturing us with the special editions, NO THX

I see what you did there.

My only questions are, who shoots first this time, and why on earth would I pay to see this in the theaters again when I can watch it at home? 3d movies are a gimmick.

Partition36 said:

I see what you did there.

My only questions are, who shoots first this time, and why on earth would I pay to see this in the theaters again when I can watch it at home? 3d movies are a gimmick.

Damn you give me too much credit, I am way too retarded to come up with a "clever" pun like that. lol

For the new versions (saw em on TV) George Lucas changed it so Greedo only sorta kinda shoots first, which is just as lame.

The color restoration (minus the lightsabers, which are fucked up... Vader's is pink) looks beautiful, that's the only reason to watch the new versions.

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are still great movies no matter how much he fucks with them.

I just saw A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back on TV.

I'll never 'get' Star Wars I guess. Boring old sci-fi is all that it is to me.

Dammit Lucas!

I remember buying the Video CD version of IV-VI so I could have a non-tape version of the movies before Lucas started butchering the shit out of them. I'm glad I did that. The fact that we can't have a DVD/Blu-ray version of the ORIGINAL movies really pisses me off.

Belial said:

I'll never 'get' Star Wars I guess. Boring old sci-fi is all that it is to me.

BORING? Are you kidding? With all that action on the screen? Hell, the scient-fiction part of it is very minor compared to the story and action.

Csonicgo said:

Dammit Lucas!

I remember buying the Video CD version of IV-VI so I could have a non-tape version of the movies before Lucas started butchering the shit out of them. I'm glad I did that. The fact that we can't have a DVD/Blu-ray version of the ORIGINAL movies really pisses me off.

In 2006 there was a run of "Limited Edition" DVDs that contain both the original and 2004 versions of the films. The original discs are rips from a 90s original-version Laserdisc release (but the opening scroll for the first film actually from the original film... just cause the Laserdisc release had "Episode IV - A New Hope" on it, which wasn't in the theatre run :p). Oh also it's not anamorphic widescreen which is annoying (but nearly every player or TV has a "zoom" option to fix that...). It's decent enough, likely better than your VideoCD versions, and it's not looking like there will be a proper remastering of the original versions (no more edits please!); those DVDs aren't hard to find in stores still, and you can tell if it's the right Limited Edition by just reading the back of the case, if the "Bonus Disc" has the original theater version as one of the "features" (yeah that sounds dumb but heh :p).

I have the laserdiscs too. Lucas can't own me.

It's amazing that in a world where I can get remastered versions of the Wizard of Oz on blu-ray in the intended theatrical release ratio, I CAN'T GET FRIGGIN STAR WARS THAT WAY

Ignoring, ignoring... Oh hell, I love Star Wars too much. So, I can't turn a blind eye. Fuck you, George Lucas.

PZ myers said
When the first one was released back in 1977 it was phenomenal — a pulpy space opera with dialogue that had the panache of a Hugo Gernsback short story, and we liked it. Then came the sequel, and we were overjoyed…it was still good old fashioned science fiction, but it was better than the first. And from that point on, unfortunately, it was dissolution and decay, beginning with the Ewoks and ending in the terminal embarrassment of Jar Jar Binks. Yet Lucas keeps tinkering with the sell-out garbage, trying to restore that brief moment of magic by hammering it all flatter and paving it over with a virtual steamroller of reprocessing and rewriting.

Nothing will save them, George. They were badly conceived and badly written, and yet another digital makeover will not change that fact. Maybe if you'd written them competently when you made them, you wouldn't be masturbating their corpses now.

The butthurt is strong in this thread.

These re-releases are not going to take away the joy of the original films at all. The DVDs and VHSes of the original versions still exist, and will continue to do so. If you think otherwise, you are a insecure idiot.

I for one will watch all six in theaters, and I will do it proudly. Problem?

Apparently 3D-ising non-3D films makes them look awful. Not that i'm bothered. A ticket to a 3D film is up there with a Kindle, Mac and automatic on the list of things i'd rather die than own.

I love Star Wars, but I won't be bothering with this. The DVD versions suit me fine.