Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Signature Moves

Doom is largely a one dimensional game. You shoot things, and those things die. But that doesn't mean there's no room for style! Indeed, if performed right, many of these moves can add that extra kick needed to spice up your gameplay (or, alternatively, detract from it completely). In this thread, we will discuss our favourite signature moves, and possibly invent some new ones with which to rock the Doom universe into the next millennium. Word.
Here are a few examples. Many of them already exist, but are either un-named or ill supported.

• The Doppler Rocket Punch:
    (Alternative name: Rocket Punch)
    Of being given plentiful space, then firing multiple rockets, strafe running, and allowing them to collect and collide as one unit. Eliminates packs of monsters instantaneously, and is fun as hell to perform. Can also be used with the plasma rifle; the alternative method being dubbed the “Doppler Plasma Strike”. Named for its apparent similarities to the Doppler effect.

• Reverse Doppler:
    The opposite of the regular Doppler. Hugely underwhelming in comparison. May be likened to a “Rocket Stroke”.

• Acupuncture:
    (Alternative: Breast Feeding)
    Of pistols and Mancubi. To “tickle the teat”.

• Guantanamo Heat Wave:
    To detonate a rocket at point blank in a desperate attempt to escape being cornered. Less so a signature move than a lack of ammo conservation technique. Usually performed only when the player is teetering on the edge of rage-quitting.

• Crazy Ivan [Multiplayer only]:
    Of both pursuing a player and being pursued simultaneously with the -turbo parameter switched on, firing backwards at and successfully destroying the trailing player with a wave of hot plasma, performing an about turn immediately thereafter (still running) and filling the front most player’s head with hot pockets, then running backward past the trailing player’s corpse in a blaze of ultimate glory. Incredibly difficult to pull off. Your friends will hate you for this one.

• Sandwich [Multiplayer only]:
    (Alternative: Snack Attack) -- "Snack Attack, mutha’ fucker!"
    Of positioning an opposing player between yourself and another opponent or team mate, and having both pole position players let loose the rocket/plasma fire upon the centered victim.

• Bad Sandwich [Multiplayer only]:
    When that player moves out of the way.

• Un voyage au supermarché [Multiplayer only]:
    (Alternative: Un Baguette)
    All three players are killed.
...What are your favourite signature moves?

Backstabber (Multiplayer/co-op)
-For use in co-op play. When teamdamage is off (can also be ON, but then its an even more evil move), shoot the other player in the back with the SSG from up close. He will then litterally fly into combat and hopefully clean up the area a little bit before he dies. Then you enter, finish iff the rest and grab all good items. Haha

• The Retarded Doppler Rocket Punch:
    Just like a regular Doppler Rocket Punch, except as you charge forwards, following hard after all those close-packed rockets, you fail to stop at a safe distance from your target.

• Vicarious Violence:
    When you go to such lengths to trigger infighting that you come out much worse off than if you had stayed in cover and just picked off the monsters yourself. I do this one all the time. A lot of the time I know I have plenty of ammo, so I can't even justify triggering infighting just to conserve ammo. So I run into that big cavern packed with chaingunners and revenants, or barons and cyberdemons, and everything goes totally pear shaped, and all the monsters fire somehow misses each other and now I have insanely too many angry monsters out for my blood.

• The Coup de Grace:
    When you have put five SSG shots into a Baron, and he is still alive, and you know he can't have much health left, you pull out a pistol and administer the final killing shot. There is something very cool about doing this. Even cooler if you can pull it off with a Cyberdemon.

• The Spin n' Win: [Can be used anywhere, but far better in Multiplayer where there will be other people to be awed at your brilliance]
    To have an opponent get the drop on you from behind, and you spin around and blow them away before they can complete their sneaky tricks. Especially satisfying with an SSG.

The Cursed Shot:
When triggering the BFG shot in front of horde, you suddenly realise that if you won't immediately get out of the way to find cover, you'll eat a good bunch of projectiles, thus you'll either sacrifice health and suffer a load of damage or waste a BFG. Either way, many various curse words are sure to follow.

I can relate to the Doppler Rocket Punch, I've done my fair share of that one.

I don't have names for them but as an alternative Kyka's Coup de Grace I use the chainsaw or a couple punches. This also works for Cacodemons that withstand two full SSG blasts, and mancs that withstand three.

Also what about that move where you herd a bunch of revenant homing missiles in a circle and use all of them to take out a couple of hell knights?

Hands on Fire
Charge into a barrel while beserk-punching it to send it exploding into your enemies! Often requires backing up after the hit - for extra style, perform this move without beserk.

Self Mutilation
To run in between two hordes of hitscanners. Taking bullets just to start infighting - now that is sado-masochism!

Bone Dancing
This is a classic risky move - constantly get within melee range of the revenant(s) you're fighting to initiate their melee attack, reducing the amount of missiles you have to dodge. Sometimes results in charging straight into their missiles :D

40oz said:

Also what about that move where you herd a bunch of revenant homing missiles in a circle and use all of them to take out a couple of hell knights?

Don't know, but I can't believe I missed that one out.

The Bone Dancing, Hands on Fire and Coup de Grace techniques are brilliant. I forgot how much I use them given the opportunity. Here are a couple more!

• The Carry On Moses:
    (Alternative: Wave Parting; Moses)
    When the only way out is through. Of using the BFG, Plasma Rifle, Rocket launcher or even the Chaingun to form a path between seas of monsters. Effective particularly with lower health opponents. Futile otherwise. Be quick, though, that path won't hold forever!

• Salt & Pepper:
    (Alternative: Bruce Campbell)
    Essentialy the same as the Coup de Grace, although using exclusively the SSG to take chunks out of the opponent, and the Chainsaw as a finisher. For bonus points, this may be performed the other way round! Groovy.

I'm primarily a ZDoom player, and I don't tend to play using the default arsenal, so most of this involves things that ZDoom allows that other ports don't (i.e. jumping).

Action Dive!
I'll strafe-run across an open area until I get near cover and jump at the last second, spewing a hail of bullets in the general direction of the horde. I suck at aiming mid-flight so this tends to work better with explosives and rapid-fire weapons.

Hot Potato
WWHC-Diaz.wad's hand grenades have an alternate fire that simply drops the grenade at your feet. Sometimes I deliberately rile up packs of Demons, start running away from them, and drop a trail of hand grenades that tend to explode just as the pack is running across them. If the first grenade doesn't take care of most of them, it'll probably have weakened them enough that the second will finish the pack. (Yeah, they're a bit overpowered...)

Desperado
I named this one after Laguna's limit special from Final Fantasy VIII - toss a grenade into the middle of a pack of monsters, get up to a higher vantage point, and then spray the entire horde with automatic fire to soften them up. The grenade tends to work better when most of the monsters are at half their health.

Manic Miner
In Stronghold, often I get land mines with no real purpose for them, so I tend to just start dropping mines everywhere I go during the between-wave downtimes. Sometimes I'll be surprised about which ones actually end up being useful. Strangely, it tends to be the mines that I didn't place directly in the path of the deadline.

Bye Bye, Bad Guy!
Softening up a big boss (like a Baron) using a larger weapon, then switching to a weak weapon like a pistol and finishing them off with a snappy one-liner. Unfortunately, since I'm not all that imaginative with my taunts, I tend to send them off with "...."

two cool ones...

door blazing
the few backward steps you make during some slow doors opening so you can rush in with full speed and feel boss.

boxer trainer
standing behind some obstacle or running around 'the ring' and flailing your fist to provoke infighting. cmon, hit that glass jaw, boy! don't make me go there and show it to you!

and to balance it...

he's mine, bitch
an open area, no cover, a chaotic battle involving various monsters and an archvile. you concentrate your ssg shots on him, taking misc. damage in hopes of breaking his attack, but he's holding like a rock. then just before the blast a chaingunner hits him and redirects his fury - nice! a shame you fail to react accordingly and release your freshly loaded shells to win the big prize...

hitler humping
pushing every misaligned, horribly placed or just distasteful texture, because that's definitely a hint to a secret area.

Most techniques have been covered, so here are some you can do in multiplayer if you are feeling particularly like a dick (and who doesn't?)

Better you than me:
When suddenly being surprised by a large trap in a room, running out of the room with your friend behind, and closing the door. As he desperately attempts to open the door, you will be on the other side forcing it closed. The inevitable will occur, and your buddy will probably no longer be your buddy.

Until next time, old friend:
Blasting your friend (preferably with an SSG) into a teleporter.

Farewell, old friend:
...following up said blasting with your own entrance into the teleporter, instant telefrag.

The quick route (capture the flag):
If you are across the map and the flag from your base has been stolen, whip out the rocket launcher and blow yourself up on the nearest wall. You will be back home before you know it.

Door peek & protect
More often used in Heretic, it's opening then quickly closing that door to make monsters behind kill each other. Closing that door every time someone else tries to open it.

Realistic door assault
Important in -fast Doom, it means always sliding quickly to the side when opening a door, killing hostile troopers, assuring no danger is inside, then going in.

When mobbed by pinkies, slow them down by walking close enough for them to melee you. Get a punch off and back away. Because they stop to attack you, you get more time before they box you in a corner if you aren't positioned well.

Of course, the "in your face" move for pain elementals. For the people who don't know (if anyone). When you get as close as you can to a pain elemental, their spawning of lost souls will fail if they are set to spawn in the space you take up. Back up when you kill the PE though as the lost souls spawned on death have a higher chance of actually spawning and taking a bite out of you.

Teleport Gate Bait: Luring a cacodemon into a teleport so you can quick hop in and telefrag em!

Cyberdemon Bukkake: Getting enough high tier monsters to fight a cyberdemon to the point where he is completely surrounded and unable to move or open fire and quite literally is raped to death. (ala MAP08 yellow key room)

Take one for the Team: Strictly a CTF move, when in the common stand still where one player from each team is carrying the opposing teams flag, one player is approached by enemies in an unsurvivable situation, dives into position where the dropped flag is very difficult or impossible to reach or into an instant-killing sector, so that even knowing the player is going to drop the flag, he at least establishes a small window of time to return the enemy's flag before the enemies can reach the flag or that the game returns the flag automatically.

Bite the Drum: standing in between a barrel and a lost soul, allowing the lost soul to lunge at you as you make a quick dodge to make a beautiful chemical reaction.

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, but I don't see any slaughter players in here ;)

Cyber doubleshot
Dancing with a cyber, starting the bfg shot on his second rocket, dodging in on the third, and getting right in his face just after that to get a full bfg blast. If done correctly, lone cybers stand no chance and the sheer efficiency of the move allows a little spamming later on.

Rocket-go-round
Revenant hordes giving you problems? run in circles, pulling back a bit each rotation and be aware of where the missiles are, and only pull back if you know you'll get hit by crossfire. Given enough room, this can work for straight-firing projectiles too.

A zdoom one:

Slide Tackle

You spy a revenant get the SSG equipped run full speed toward him shoot crouch and "slide" under his missile and deliver the killing second shot

40oz said:

Cyberdemon Bukkake

10/10

printz said:

Realistic door assault[/b]
Important in -fast Doom, it means always sliding quickly to the side when opening a door, killing hostile troopers, assuring no danger is inside, then going in.

Sort of a signature move, although running in to a room in disregard of this technique will probably get you killed. -Fast. So it's mandatory if nothing else. ...Of course, if that doesn't constitute a signature move, then I don't see how probing a Mancubus with pistol bullets just to hear him "MWAAHHH" does either. Acupuncture sounds more akin to some sort of sick, DoomGuy fetish.

More a mental move is to keep track of where monsters are. If you are fighting a group of demons, it's good to know if there are imps behind you throwing fireballs that you need to remember to dodge. "cutting the pie" is a good way to assess a room's situation.

Better dead than bored
When playing a particulary tedious wad to the point that it's no longer fun, killing yourself by shooting a rocket at a close wall or monster.

Doomguys do it from behind
Getting a cybie to infight something with enough HP that it'll keep its attention long enough for you to come right to his ass and safely fire a full BFG blast.

Number 23
While moving to your next destination, rather than running forward and skipping a few monsters or stopping to fight these few monsters, do a 180, strafe backwards and kill them.

My usual techniques:

Fucking Door
Shoot a rocket just as a door comes down to kill you with splash damage.

Fucking Objects
Strafe while shooting rockets and kill yourself by passing a small tree.

Fucking Teammate
Shoot a rocket just as a partner walks in front of you and die.

Fucking Fuck Fuck
Get hit by a Cyberdemon, fall down stairs, shoot a rocket at the stairs and kill yourself.

Door peek blazing - Opening a fast open/close door with heaps of various badguys on the other side, provoking infighting and cleaning out the rest. Very useful when low on health/ammo and large numbers of monsters.

Duck hunt (port with crouch only) - Being in front of windows with different monsters, ducking down and peeking up to provoke infighting before getting hit yourself

Squadmate - Treating co-op, especially 2 player and sticking together to help each other out and not get raped in the ass by hordes of monsters. Splitting health/ammo based on who needs it the most and protecting a weakened teammate from dying.

Corpsy Thrower — an archvile hurls your mangled body over the exit line

Icon of Win — monster infighting accidentally destroys an exposed boss brain, long after your death

Beating the Odds — four-shot an archvile with the super shotgun, causing it pain each time so it never attacks (chance: 55% for each shot)

Perforating the Odds — one-shot a revenant with the super shotgun (chance: one in three to the twentieth power, or about 0.00000003%)

Pigeon Shooting — blow a lost soul out of the air just as it flies past you, the nearer the miss the better. Screaming "PULL" is optional

Bucket said:

My usual techniques:

Fucking Door
Shoot a rocket just as a door comes down to kill you with splash damage.

Fucking Objects
Strafe while shooting rockets and kill yourself by passing a small tree.

Fucking Teammate
Shoot a rocket just as a partner walks in front of you and die.

Fucking Fuck Fuck
Get hit by a Cyberdemon, fall down stairs, shoot a rocket at the stairs and kill yourself.

This.

word.

Here are some I learned in Jodwin maps:

Scrooge McDuck: when the ammo count on a map is so low that every pellet counts and you just can't afford wasting TWO bullets on something that MIGHT die with one, the pistol is your best friend. CAREFULLY snipe monsters on ledges using accurate refire (DON'T YOU FUCKNG DARE KEEP THE FIRE KEY PRESSED YOU FUCKING NOOB!!!) so that your play style would please even Scrooge McDuck.

Frugal Skeleton: Use a SSG shot and then switch to normal SG when facing revenants. The odds aren't so much in your favor, but there's a chance he might die with just 3 shells (the SSG would have to do slightly above average damage and the SG do average damage, or viceversa). Useful in Jodwin maps.

I'll Be Back: the shit just hit the fan in some room and monsters started teleporting in? Well, just walk away from it (if possible) and return when the baddies have duked it out :-p

Peekaboo!: take cheap shots form within holes in the walls at monsters that can be seen behind them. Especially effective with Berserk/Chainsaw vs powerful monsters. Saves ammo, and they (usually) can't retaliate.

No need to get crazy: you need to perform some specific action to leave a room which does not include killing that powerful guardian monster? Well, just do that action and beat it. Saves a lot of ammo and time, plus you don't know if you need to return to this room, other monsters may teleport in and more shitfests will ensue :-p

Crowdsurfing: requires a port that allows finitely-tall monsters and jumping (relatively easy with ZDoom, possible as well but harder to pull off with Eternity). Flee from a swarm by jumping atop the monsters' head and running away. Bonus point if you then jump onto a platform you shouldn't normally be able to reach.

Trap Door Bouncer
Go through a door and turn around and press use. If the door doesn't close then it may be a trap so stand under the door so it bounces off your head. Then run in and around but keep returning to the door to bounce it again. Repeat until the trap is triggered then run outside and use the door as a manageable monster feeder.

The Long Wait
Trigger one of those down wait (i.e. 20s) up door that usually proceeds a trap. Wait for it to raise. Then trigger the trap and run out.

4mer said:

Cheap tactics

Does it feel good to break the game so horrendously? Actually no, don't answer that question: I do it all the time myself.

Anyhoo, me and the big wigs over at Signature Central have been putting our heads together, and after much toil and deliberation we've come to a unanimous agreement with regards to a few previously un-named signature moves:

• The Panama Project
    (Alternative: Shitstorm; Panama; Candy Trail) -- "He's stirring up a Shitstorm! Run for cover!"
    When tens of hundreds of Revenant missiles coalesce into a single force of obliteration, you know what to do. The Panama Project can, with much running and gathering, result in a more powerful blast than even the most potent BFG shot. It is truly a force to be reckoned with.

• The Darien Complex
    (Alternative: Darien Scheme)
    When the Panama Project fails. Badly. Named for the unsuccesful establishment of the New Caledonia colony on Panama.

• Orbital Shield
    A swarm of Revenant missiles that orbit the player. Monsters who enter the death zone, especially those such as Demons or Lost Souls, will probably have their heads smashed in. It's a large trade-off though, for while the shield holds the player is unable to move. Larger numbers of missiles will increases defense, but limit the player's ability to escape unscathed.

• Balls of Steel
    (Alternative: Lead Head; Lead Eye)
    Of Chaingunners, Arachnotrons, Spider Masterminds and Berserker Packs. To successfully or unsuccessfully "smack'em silly" while under fire is to possess true balls of steel. This is perhaps one of the greatest testimonials to your manhood you could ever make. Win or lose, you should be proud.

Surprise, You're Dead!
Dodge a charging lost soul, then quickly follow it to the wall that it will inevitably ram into and punch its lights out with berserk before it has any chance to retaliate.

RjY said:

Odds

Perforating the Odds — one-shot a revenant with the super shotgun (chance: one in three to the twentieth power, or about 0.00000003%)

Not in vanilla Doom -with the vanilla RNG there's no possible trasversal of the RNG table that would give 300 damage from the SSG, if you take into account how the RNG is used (4 RNG entries go to spread, and one to damage. Repeat 20 times). In source ports, that's another story.

A more possible, even if rare occurence, is single-SG shot killing a Lost Soul

this has happened to me before:

Déjà Vu
This is when you save (accidentally or not) right before some event like a fireball smashing your face. Sometimes you get to load your game and dash out of the way like you always knew it was coming - otherwise you get to see your stupid mistake over and over as you try to get past that horde :D

The Somebody needs a hug
Run up to a pain elemental and hug it to stop it attacking you.