Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

"Glowing" Lights

I'm adding lighting to my map, its a dark industrial area (like something out of Doom 64). When I use colored lighting in UDMF format, it just looks like the textures in that sector have been colored red. I tried adding tons of sectors with varying light levels to get that "glowing light" effect- but it still doesn't look very good. Is there a better way to do this that I'm missing?

Searcher said:

Are you thinking about open GL or are you trying to create this with sectors?

I'm using gzdoom, so I can use any open GL tricks that there might be. But isn't all lighting in Doom sector based?

Or you can use glowing flats to create a dynamic light-type brightness that is automatically assigned to specified FLAT textures. This will avoid the need to insert dynamic light things each time you have a glowing ceiling or floor.

How do you actually place one of these light things in a map (I'm not very familiar with Decorate)? Would I make a new actor of type "DynamicLight" or whatever, with a Doom editor number, and use that?

Place a dynamic light object in the map (for example, 9800 for a pointlight). Several types are already defined, look at the list given in that wiki page above.

Set its parameters accordingly. Things can only have parameters in UDMF and Hexen format.

There you go. Total amount of mucking with DECORATE needed: 0.