Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

HacX now available for iPhone and iPad

I think he means buying an ipad/phone. When will 3rd party devices run itunes apps?... droooool

HacX for PC is free, too.

Also, the source code of Doom Classic and of HacX Classic are available, so I suppose if anybody cared enough about it, they could be ported to your favorite Lin/Win platforms. It's just that it's a tiny bit pointless given that GLBoom+ already exists.

It's like a game of telephone. Port the original Doom source release through every console/hardware, giving it to a different programmer each time. See how much is different when it makes it back to PC.

It would be nice if the HacX source was compiled into a proper WAD (I think someone started that but it was never finished) and it would be super nice if it was added to the ZDoom list of default WADs... :)

On topic: I downloaded the iPhone version last night but, Sod's Law, I haven't had the time to play it seriously yet. Has anyone tried it out properly? I've got a feeling that it'll suffer the same craptastic touchsceen controls as the Freedoom/Doom ports...These games should be released for the DS - you know a machine that actually has suitable controls! ;)

Per-Scan said:

Has anyone tried it out properly? I've got a feeling that it'll suffer the same craptastic touchsceen controls as the Freedoom/Doom ports...These games should be released for the DS - you know a machine that actually has suitable controls! ;)

Yeah, it's the exact same engine as Doom Classic, so the controls are the same.

PRBoom's been ported to DS, so it'd probably be trivial for a coder type to make a standalone HACX port based off of that.

Yeah, I figured as much. Still, fine for a train journey. I have the PrBoom port on the DS, it would be nice indeed if HacX was ported over too. :)

Gez said:

Also, the source code of Doom Classic and of HacX Classic are available, so I suppose if anybody cared enough about it, they could be ported to your favorite Lin/Win platforms.

The link to the HacX source points still to nowhere. ;-)

Mr. T said:

Couldn't you just run Hacx as a pwad?

Yes and no. It is a pwad, but you must use the hacx.deh too.

cybdmn said:

The link to the HacX source points still to nowhere. ;-)

Well, it worked the day this was posted. Now it seems the repository does not exist anymore, but it was there.

Per-Scan said:

It would be nice if the HacX source was compiled into a proper WAD (I think someone started that but it was never finished) and it would be super nice if it was added to the ZDoom list of default WADs... :)

That would be really weird if somebody were to do that any time soon.

Xaser said:

That would be really weird if somebody were to do that any time soon.

*Scratches beard thoughtfully...* Aha! It was you working on it! I thought it was something long forgotten. :)

hello, sorry about source code, I'll will provide source code as soon as posible.
One question: Is anyone know how to contact with Strife team? I've tried to mail info@rogue-ent.com, but nobody reply me back :( I think it will be wonderful to port Strife to iPad and iPhone.

cybdmn said:

This may be, because of Rogue Entertainment closed its doors years ago.

Yeah, I know about this, but someone still paying for domain name...

A while back folk were asking who owned Strife these days. It ended with someone mailing John Carmack. He said he didn't have any idea but doubted anyone would care what happened to it. So, what happened to Rogue? Did anyone buy up their IP's or anything or did they just go into liquidation?

Per-Scan said:

A while back folk were asking who owned Strife these days. It ended with someone mailing John Carmack. He said he didn't have any idea but doubted anyone would care what happened to it. So, what happened to Rogue? Did anyone buy up their IP's or anything or did they just go into liquidation?

Rogue and their parent company Velocity both closed up, and I can't find any info about an acquisition or transfer of assets. Then again, such things are not public matter and there wouldn't necessarily be anything available.

James Monroe *thinks* at least that some of the rights in the stuff they did related to id Software reverted to id at that point, as per some part of the original agreement that allowed them to develop that stuff in the first place, but neither he nor I nor John Carmack are lawyers (or even businessmen) so take that as you will.

I think, however, the most telling sign is that none of Rogue/Velocity's properties have been exploited through newer distribution avenues such as Steam or GOG. Try buying a legitimate copy of Strife; it's impossible. At best you can get a used copy from somebody.

I refuse to believe our rabid capitalist system would leave these properties unused while their sister properties such as DOOM and the Quake series continue to make money. So to me it suggests, along with everything else, that these really truly are abandoned works in the legal sense of the word.

Quasar said:

Rogue and their parent company Velocity both closed up, and I can't find any info about an acquisition or transfer of assets. Then again, such things are not public matter and there wouldn't necessarily be anything available.

James Monroe *thinks* at least that some of the rights in the stuff they did related to id Software reverted to id at that point, as per some part of the original agreement that allowed them to develop that stuff in the first place, but neither he nor I nor John Carmack are lawyers (or even businessmen) so take that as you will.

I think, however, the most telling sign is that none of Rogue/Velocity's properties have been exploited through newer distribution avenues such as Steam or GOG. Try buying a legitimate copy of Strife; it's impossible. At best you can get a used copy from somebody.

I refuse to believe our rabid capitalist system would leave these properties unused while their sister properties such as DOOM and the Quake series continue to make money. So to me it suggests, along with everything else, that these really truly are abandoned works in the legal sense of the word.

I have one idea how to find Strife right owners: just put the port to AppStore and I'm sure they will come. But I don't want any troubles :)

You could do that. All you'd have to do is take it down. That's what happened with the infamous Edge debacle. I'd take the risk. In fact, stick my name on it ans I'll take the blame!

Dark Yoda said:

I have one idea how to find Strife right owners: just put the port to AppStore and I'm sure they will come. But I don't want any troubles :)

Keep in mind you could still be subject to criminal liability for knowingly infringing on the copyright of an abandoned work. Or does that not work until ACTA is signed? :P

Quasar said:

Keep in mind you could still be subject to criminal liability for knowingly infringing on the copyright of an abandoned work.

Only if there's someone who can sue. It's still illegal though.