Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Anyone play with a gamepad? What config?

I was wondering if anyone out there plays with a gamepad and if so, what type of gamepad and configuration do you use?

I'm a trackball and keyboard player, but no longer have a comfortable desk/chair setup to play comfortably so I figured I'd give it a try with a gamepad. I have a logitech dual action and use gzdoom. I was thinking about picking up a logitech f310, but not sure if the differences between it and the dual action are really that noticable. .Anyone try it?

This is the configuration I use with my Logitech Precision gamepad.

Top of controller
Front left shoulder button-strafe left
Front right shoulder button-strafe right
Back left shoulder button-Shotgun/SSG
Back right shoulder button-Chaingun

Left side of controller
D-pad up-move forward
D-pad left-turn left
D-pad right-turn right
D-pad down-move backward

Center of controller
Left button-Rocket Launcher
Right button-Plasma Rifle

Right side of controller
Top button-BFG
left button-fire weapon
right button-use (open)
bottom button-run

looks like it would work pretty well. Although, I was planning on using mouse look with the analog stick which would change the use of the main 4 buttons. I would have to rely on the shoulder triggers for the most important commands.

Is there anywhere that shows the controller setup for a ps2 version of doom or quake? The logitech dual action seems to be closest to ps2 controllers.

The Xbox/360 versions of Doom use the usual Halo/Doom 3 FPS setup, left joystick for moving, right for aiming, right trigger for shooting, other buttons for action and cycling weapons. I use this setup with my gamepad, with a quicksave button. It would work much better if my gamepad (Saitek p990) had less obvious deadzones that screw up smooth control.

Using a 360 controller with Pinnacle Game Profiler keymapper & mouse emulator. So not a pure joystick setup.

Have the left analog mapped to mouse, right analog to movement. Shoulder buttons to weapon rotation, and d-pad mapped to other functions supported by zdoom based engines like inventory rotation.
Other buttons used for auto-map & use etc.
It works real well.

I use a ps3 controller with drivers that force it to be detected as a 360 controller. ZDoom and it's variants have by far the best controller support, which allows you to literally bind every button and axis to do whatever you want (though if you want to bind individual weapons to certain buttons like I do you have to modify the .ini manually..)

Left analog: Movement
Right analog: Turning (no free look)
Left upper shoulder button: Walk (always run on)
Right upper shoulder button: Shoot
Lower shoulder buttons: Toggle weapons
Left-button on right: User
Up-button on right: Automap
Down-button on right: Jump
Right-button on right: Not used

I'm considering getting a gamepad (or many) because I feel like they would be better suited for Doom's few necessary controls than an entire keyboard, but I'm afraid that if I buy one I may not enjoy the results. I don't have a lot of experience with using joysticks with computer games since the 90's but of that experience I recall having buttons that had to be mashed to do something or joysticks that were not sensitive or not sensitive enough or other things that weren't very responsive.

Also I'm not interested in paying a ton of money for confidence that it will work the way I want it to.

I sometimes play with a 360 controller and (G)ZDoom in the living room on the big telly. The controls are incredibly smooth and responsive including the analogue movement. It is really surprising just how good the controller support is in these ports. Just plug and play... even the buttons are set up automatically in a playable configuration. I have, however, tweaked the settings to my own tastes:

Left stick: Movement & Strafe
Right stick: Turning & Looking
Right stick button: Centre View - pretty handy in the heat of battle!

Shoulder buttons: Weapon up & down
Triggers: Right=Fire & Left Alt Fire/Reload

Dpad up: Automap
Dpad left/right: Inventory previous/next
Dpad down: Use inventory item

Face buttons are: Use, crouch, jump and one left over for various WADs

Select button: Pause
Start: Main Menu

Perfect set-up for me. It's the closest to an intuitive config I've found. :)

Personally, if there was a Wii nuchuck adapter for the PC I'd ditch the keyboard right now. Nunchuck and mouse (one finger or other wise seems like the perfect PC FPS set up there could be. Full analogue movement in all direction while not tethered to a desktop sounds great to me. :)

I occasionally play using a Dual Shock 2 controller (via Super Joy Box USB adapter) when I'm on my laptop, as I'm better on a gamepad than I am with a trackpad. Control scheme is a combination of Call of Duty and Timesplitters.

Think I'm going to play around with the dual action gamepad tomorrow. Anyone know where there is somewhere that explains how to setup the gamepad in gzdoom? x,y,and z axis and stuff like that. What is the z axis? Also, some of the buttons didn't want to map when I tried last time. Like the top shoulder buttons.

I think I'm going to use the right analog for mouselook but make the up and down pitch less sensitive. Use the analog button for centerview.

Use the left trigger for forward movement, up on the d-pad for back peddle, left and right on the d-pad for straffing, and down on the d-pad will either be jump or use. Probably use the shoulder buttons for weapon switching. Then use one of the four main buttons for automap and maybe a walk button. Or maybe the analog button would be good for walk?

p.s. on a similar side note, using a logitech precision gamepad in combination with xpadder works very well for playing DoomRL with a gamepad instead of keyboard. Probably the only roguelike game with so few commands that you can map them to a gamepad.

All the settings are in the controller menu. The Z axis (as far as I know!) is the trigger buttons on a controller - one trigger is positive the other is negative. I'm not entirely sure as, as I said, the 360 controller is pretty much plug and play - the triggers are recognised as such...same for a PS2 controller through the Super Joy Box. :) All in all, configuration is pretty easy.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Anyone know where there is somewhere that explains how to setup the gamepad in gzdoom? x,y,and z axis and stuff like that. What is the z axis?

X and Y are for the right analog stick, the other two for the left stick.