Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omegamer

Stormbreaker MOD for ZDOOM- New weaps. and new difficultys!!!

Hey guys,

I made this mod within a few hours.
It comes with all new weapons and a harder difficulty (try veteran).
Its very unbalanced but it makes fun.

The new weapons:

-Uzi
-Butchergun
-M 60
-Flamer
-M 16
-AK 47
-Sniper Rifle
-Über-Minigun
-ActionAssaultRifle
-SMG
-Double SMG

Did I forgot something?...

NOTE: this only works correct under OpenGL

Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?27n083j3of8s836

40oz said:

realm667 weapon rips yaaaaaaaay

Just pretend like you haven't already seen them 100 times, then it becomes 'fun'.

I´m already working on a content update from 1.0 to 1.1.

There will this new weapons (from realm 667):

Sawed Off Shotgun (not the original doom one)
Pump Action Shotgun
Mag60
Machete
Knife
Duke Shotgun
Double Bladed Chainsaw

Maybe a difficuly with damagefactor 0, a "walktrough" difficulty for mappers.

Use3D said:

Just pretend like you haven't already seen them 100 times, then it becomes 'fun'.

I've tried that, but still end up ranting about seeing them merely dozens of times instead of hundreds.

Whats the point of this wad? You just took a couple dozen random weapons off of realm667 and combined them into one. The difficulty settings are the only original things about it, and those alone don't make a good mod.

so this is just a mixture of weapons that you like from r667?
i haven't tried it, but i'm really not a fan of mixing centered with off-centered weapons.

omegamer said:

I made this mod within a few hours.

Mods should take more than a few hours (unless it's a speedmapping project) and technically, you haven't really made anything. At least throw some new maps in or something.

This is exactly the sort of thing you're not supposed to use R667 resources for. Bonus unpoints for not even mentioning the real source for "your" work until you were called out on it.

Try making something on your own, even if it's just code using borrowed graphics. Then you might have something worth showing.

Wait...so you didn't even write the decorate for these? That's even a downgrade from most other ripped weapons mods. To be frank about it, I'm not really sure why you thought anyone would want to play this. They could just as easily download 10 weapons of their own choosing from Realm667, type up a KEYCONF lump or whatever, and play it themselves. As-is, this is more or less "Omegamer's Top 10 11 Realm667 Weapon Prefab Picks".

Even Beethoven pretty much ripped Mozart in all his early stuff. And then once he had learned his craft, THEN he moved on and made something entirely original and new.

It's a process people. Geez. Give the guy a break. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

The Lag said:

but i'm really not a fan of mixing centered with off-centered weapons.

I do agree with this tho.

Kyka said:

Even Beethoven pretty much ripped Mozart in all his early stuff. And then once he had learned his craft, THEN he moved on and made something entirely original and new.

It's a process people. Geez. Give the guy a break. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

He didn't actually create anything at all, though, if I understand correctly. It's not taking something and imitating it, or taking something and even modifying it slightly, it's just taking some prefabs from Tormentor's site and putting them into a wad. I don't think your analogy really fits, and regardless, I don't see the point in posting it up to the public.

In keeping with the music analogy, this mod is like downloading several MP3s from different artists, burning them to a CD, then trying to show off the "new album" to everyone. Good shuffle mods (and they do exist), on the other hand, are akin to quality mashups by DJs who generally know what they're doing. ;)

Ok. I am not calling anyone 'trolls' here, as peoples criticisms of this mod are perfectly reasonable and justified. I just think that the way these posts read is akin to telling a preschooler something like "Call this fingerpainting art? This is unadulterated shit. Go to your room. No dinner for you."

I don't mean to start arguments here, but anyone who expresses in interest in modding doom stuff, even something that has no real original content like this, should be still encouraged to find out what they can do. The point is not that this mod is anything really new, the point is that with a little room to move, who knows what onegamer might go on to create in the future.

Hey this is pretty cool but you should try making something next time! I'd like to see what other mods you can make in the future! Good luck!

How's that?

DooMAD said:

Mods should take more than a few hours (unless it's a speedmapping project) and technically, you haven't really made anything. At least throw some new maps in or something.

First it was thought as a wad with maps, but I could never decide what theme I should use.
I really like the big outdoors which would be perfect for this mod,
but I´m only able to make little techrooms or like seen on Moon.wad, little outdoor environments, but only little ones.

I also thought about making a city map but thats all to high for me, I´m just started mapping 1 year ago.

A tip?

Map what you can and get really good at it. Getting good at mapping is one of the most valuable attributes of making Doom wads. Some people may disagree with me, but I couldn't give two shits about new sprites, weapons, monsters, even textures as long as you can make some good maps, you're okay in my book.

Um... I just started making a conscious effort to expand the areas I was working on. My first 7 maps or something were all indoor areas because making outdoors scared me... Then I realized that it's really just a matter of expansion. Starting off with little tech rooms is good, sure. Now make bigger tech areas, and then mix some outdoor architecture into the map (not necessarily accessible to the player, just something to look at, maybe). Eventually you should be able to do this sort of stuff with no problem.

Really... yeah, what 40oz said. Just keep mapping until you can do it.

40oz said:

Map what you can and get really good at it. Getting good at mapping is one of the most valuable attributes of making Doom wads. Some people may disagree with me, but I couldn't give two shits about new sprites, weapons, monsters, even textures as long as you can make some good maps, you're okay in my book.

Ok thanks, maybe I will start mapping if I´m back from school.
Just think about a theme.

40oz said:

Hey this is pretty cool but you should try making something next time! I'd like to see what other mods you can make in the future! Good luck!

How's that?

Too many exclamation marks. :P

I do agree that it is a good idea for people to get at least the basics of mapping before they start spriting/weapons modding etc etc.

40oz said:

Exactly.

(And for the record, I do like additional variety in monsters and textures, but good maps come first. I don't care for mods that just replace stuff in existing maps instead of coming with their own maps built around the resources they use.)

I'm sorry but mods that just compile the resources from Realm667 are what are giving them a bad name. I'm a bit disapointed that anything I make and submit there just ends up in a compilation. :(

omegamer said:

Just think about a theme.

You think of a theme. Take a couple minutes to look at the textures Doom 2 has and look for ones that would look good together. When I think of a good theme for a map I make the map myself.

Doom 2 has a very versatile set of textures. People usually say Doom 2 stock textures are shit but it's usually because people don't know how to use them coherently. Think about the different texture themes Doom 2 provides and see what you can do.