Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Firefox, crashing more than Doom Legacy

I've been having increasingly persistant problems with having Firefox running stable. It's started crashing so repeatedly that I can't think of any program that ever crashed this often for me before.

Fortunately, I rarely lose anything from the crashes, but it's annoying as hell never the less.

I been noticing this a lot more recently as well. Most of the time it just randomly freezes when browsing a page.

The stability seems to be going up and down with each release -at least in Windows the main problems seem to be memory leaks tha make it skyrocket into the GBs of consumed RAM, especially with certain addons.

Using certain AJAX-intensive sites is enough to send the CPU usage to 100% and start leaking memory by the second, until it bloats up and dies.

Fuck it, I'm using Chrome now just because of that.

Under Linux it never was nearly as bad, for some reason.

Unstable browsers are often the result of crappy or broken plugins. I have only had Firefox 3.6 crash a couple times so I have never had an easy way to see if it was one of my plugins or just the browser sucking. If it's consistent I would start checking plugins.

I haven't had any crash with the 3.6 branch (currently using 3.6.10) yet. And I leave Firefox running pretty much all the time, and I don't turn my computer off, but put it in sleep mode instead, so a Firefox session can last for dozens of hours.

Switching to chrome was a breath of fresh air...although at the same time I seriously wiped the ass of this computer after years of neglect. That helped

My comp is running 24/7 and every night FF crashes. Sometimes it dies when I'm using it as well.

I switched to Chrome (SRWare Iron actually) when it came out. Haven't looked back.

I enjoyed FF when it came out too, when it was slim and sleek. Not so much now. I primarily use it for the Firebug extension - so full of win.

Aliotroph? said:

Unstable browsers are often the result of crappy or broken plugins. I have only had Firefox 3.6 crash a couple times so I have never had an easy way to see if it was one of my plugins or just the browser sucking. If it's consistent I would start checking plugins.

This.

Well, maybe Firefox should change their whole program to support shitty old plugins, the same way assholes expect Microsoft to change their operating system to support shitty old programs.

People actually expect the Internet to work properly with all that Flash crap embedded on it? Haha!

I gave up on FF a long time ago. Every update just felt more bloated than the last and when it's performance started slowing up and it kept freezing I moved over to Opera as my main browser and only kept FF for downloading files that wouldn't download in Opera properly. Then Opera started the same crap. Like a few of you here I've found Chrome to be a breath of fresh air. Let's hope it stays small and slick and doesn't fall into the trap as other programs out there. I found the same with AVG until I gave up on that and moved over to Avast! Programmers just stop bloating software will you!? :)

Firefox's plugin-container seems to cause more problems than it cures, so I've moved sideways to SeaMonkey - which will hopefully wind up with a more stable implementation of that container. Apart from eBay attempting to break the browser with their website 'updates' my main Firefox issues tended to be unstable plugins, especially one for a download manager that'd go apeshit when presented with a SourceForge link.

Just for lulz I installed Chrome a few weeks ago. In about an hour I made it my default browser and never looked back.

Chrome is much more stable and usable than the last times I have tried it.

Firefox ran like shit on my netbook, so I tried Chrome. I use it on my Desktop and my other netbook now, too.

It's probably an extension you have installed. I love Chrome but Firefox is still where it's at for extensions, man.

I don't know, aside from some out-of-nowhere crashes upon startup of the program, the only time I have any trouble is when trying to click links someone posted on a twitter post, because of that stupid little loading thing twitter does before making the highlighted link drop down a line.

Firefox only seems to have an issue with the PC I use most. On that, it has a tendancy to lock up total PC usage and I have to reboot the PC. It often does this on youtube.

I've had to switch to Chrome because the only thing reliable about Firefox now is that it will crash regularly.

Firefox went to shit on my computer. It would crash, freeze, continue running the .exe even after I closed it out, etc. A repeated problem was it somehow going to the wrong website... I thought it was a virus at first, but Kaspersky wasn't firing any alarms, so I tested out google chrome. Works just fine and is about 9000% faster, too.

Weird stuff.

Chrome runs so great now with ajax apps, that I just went to it... and I love the way Chrome prints webpages.

FF crashed twice as I refreshed this thread just now. I refreshed, it crashed. It restarted and I hit restore. And then it crashed again.

Firefox has been crashing on me a little more often that usual. Browsing youtube causes it sometimes. Also Firefox has gotten in the habit of telling me that it closed unexpectedly every time I open it, even if I close firefox myself.

I haven't had problems with Firefox crashing, but I have had problems with it crashing other programs. I can't keep it open at the same time as any game that uses a lot of memory, or it will crash. If it's one thing I dislike about Firefox, it's its memory leaks. I honestly don't know why they haven't fixed it in all these years of me using it. You'd think they'd make it a high priority.

I have to support the general "Chrome > Firefox" consensus. Since it got extensions (adblock is a must), I haven't used FF at all. Not that I really had any problems with FF... just, chrome is quite a bit nicer, faster and more compact.

I use Chrome as my default browser since the synchronisation feature is much more advanced than before. I still use FF time to time, I don't know why.

As of lately, the only redeeming features I can attribute to FF is its FireBug add-on and support for RSS feeds, which come in handy for work and fun. But otherwise, Chrome all the way, at least under Windows.

Anyone who uses Chrome is begging for a privacy invasion. I'll never touch any product from Google.