Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Windowpain

Windowpain's Doom art

After 10 years of lurking I guess it's time to give a little back to the Doomworld community. As an artist I think it's important to remember your roots and no other game has been as inspirational to me as Doom. In fact it's what inspired me to pursue a career in game art. So here's a quick painting, hope ya'll enjoy!

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/ellorygm/?action=view¤t=doomed_postcopy.jpg

I love it but I'm not too crazy about the exposed abs. I think alot of people don't realize that doomguys shirt got ripped. And UAC did not design kinky attire. anyway the scene you painted really let's the viewer's imagination tell the story.

Thanks for the response Bank, Use3D, Shapeless. Shapeless, yeah the exposed abs thing is a little silly but I guess I always figured it's hot as hell in...hell, so the Doomguy is just wearing his kevlar with no shirt underneath like a badass. Or maybe I just made that up ;} Cheers!

I may know next to nothing about art, but I do know what I like, and what I like in this painting is the slighty blurry quality which contrasts with the largely orthogonal Doom design.

The exit sign is like the cherry on the top, both in colour and in size!

Windowpain said:

Shapeless, yeah the exposed abs thing is a little silly but I guess I always figured it's hot as hell in...hell, so the Doomguy is just wearing his kevlar with no shirt underneath like a badass.

Works for me.

st.alfonzo, thanks! I actually used screencaps directly from Doom as reference to capture the feeling of the game as closely as possible. To this day, the textures in the original Doom are my favorite of all time and I tried to do them justice. As for the slight blur, it's a technique I've used a lot in production work to give a piece a finished touch...some like it, some hate it.

I really like the action feel. This is great stuff. Thanks for posting this.

essel - Thanks for the kind words. I've wanted to do a set of textures for Doom for a long time...
Kyka - glad you like it. I enjoyed making it, it's very rare that I get the time to do something that's I actually want to do. At any rate, it's been sitting on my hard drive for some time, finally got motivated to post it after seeing all the inspirational stuff in these forums.

Windowpain said:

I've wanted to do a set of textures for Doom for a long time...

...and I've wanted you to do a set of textures ever snice I read this.

Which admittedly is not all that long ago. (About 30 seconds, at a guess.)

Phobus, Vader, Mechadon, I appreciate the positive comments!
Kyka - I'd be more inclined to do a texture set if I joined a team doing a megawad or something...no promises but I'll look around to see if anyone is working on an E1 or E2 replacement and needs a texture artist. The studio I work for just released a game and depending on how well it does, I may have lots of free time on my hands pretty soon :/

Wicked sick, man. That is one awesome picture. Very well done. That's one of the coolest pictures of the DOOM Marine I've ever seen.

-Alando1