Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

General Noncritical Bugs

Great! Looking forward to seeing the latest developments. I wish there was some way to help you guys out but I have absolutely no clue how to do anything other than play Doom. I have an inkling I could make some textures or simple sprites but I don't know how to use palettes and other 'technical' stuff...

PFL said:

I wish there was some way to help you guys

You can always play test! The lower skills need testing. Almost all testing has only been done on -skill 4 (ultra violent).

You can even start testing now. The maps I mention above can be ignored until the RC comes out.

Maps need to be played with a pistol start.

This relates to "doom2.wad" dated 18th Sept ...

map 01 ...

1. Lines 1982 and 1606 need upper textures on their front sides to avoid visual glitches for mouselook ports.
2. GL lumps can be removed.

map 03 ...

Delete tag number at sector 54.

map 04 ...

1. Texture at line 886 could have been lower.
2. Lines 1862, 1863, 1877 and 1876 should be lower unpegged or a new texture entirely, like doortrak. To recreate the effect of iD's iwad, sector 144 needs a floor level of 24 and missing lower textures.
3. The change of floor textures between sectors 140 and 149 for example, looks terrible ! Just use the same floor texture for this particular area and different light levels.
4. The use of BROWN96 also looked out of place at lines 1893 and 1583.

map 06 ...

Switches at lines 1912 etc. could be lower.

map 08 ...

The music - D_DDTBLU sounds horrible with that constant hiss.

map 09 ...

1.Sector 177 has the wrong ceiling flat. Should be FLAT17.
2.Sectors 411 and 412 would have looked better with the ceiling flat CEIL3_5 to match sector 382.
3. Check above and below sector 413. I'm wondering if SLIME05 should be rendered in both cases.

map 10 ...

1. Wrong lower texture for lines 19, 956 and 955. It should be ROCK4.
2. Middle texture on lines 2665 and 2670 needs to be removed.
3. Doortrack lines for sector 70 not lower unpegged.
4. Either increase the ceiling height of sector 228 or better still ,use the ceiling brightness line special - 261.

map 11 ...

Switches at lines 1435 , 1239 could have been lower.

map 12 ...

1. Remove the sprite at sector 100 or rework area. As it is 100% kills on easy not possible.
2. Sector 998 needs a ceiling height of 88 to match sector 1001 and sector 999 needs to match sectors 1000 and 1011 so as the silent teleport not to be made obvious.
3. Remove tag number on line 5956.

map 13 ...

1. Remove tag numbers from lines 2896 and 2899.
2. Both lines 2629 and 2627 should both be a length of 17.
3. Lines 2592/2593/2583/2587 etc. should be impassible ?
4. Sectors 908, 542 could do with a lamp.
5. Cannot see the switch at line 3499. It needs an offset of X79 , Y75. Known issue.
6. Sector 1009 is at the wrong ceiling height. It should be a height of 80 to match the surrounding sectors.
7. Wrong ceiling flat for sector 197. Should be FLAT19.
8. The floor and ceiling flats of sectors 941 and 420 need to match sectors 418 and 1026 ( silent teleport ) and 2439 could have a slight x alignment to match line 4311. Also highlight and drag lines 2435 and 2434 west so as not to see the texture on line 2431, which at present also ruins the silent teleport. And both lines 2432 and 1908 should look the same - x alignment.
9. Delete the mid tex on line 921. It should not be there.
10. Line 4142 needs a front side offset of x-2,y-56 and its back side x8,y-56.y.
11. "Glass" textures on lines 3626 and 3623 could have been translucent - line special 260.

map 14 ...

Sector 155 should have been a secret.

map 15 ...

The sectors of either side of lines 2519, 2516, 2513, 2510, 2528, 2531, 244, 5975 ,6212, 6453 will need a sector light difference of 1 to prevent the middle texture from bleeding into the floor with software ports.

map 18 ...
1. The sectors on either side of lines 1446 and 1434 will need a sector light difference of 1 to prevent the middle texture from bleeding into the floor with software ports.
2. In EASY, T24 is stuck in T252 at sector 80.
3. sw1wdmet on line 192 does not animate because sw2wdmet has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.

map 20 ...

1. T286 is outside map - deathmatch.
2. Note animation for lines 1690/1691 etc. A direct consequence of supporting final doom in the iwad.
3. sw1garg on lines 2679 and 2760 does not animate because sw2garg has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.

map 21 ...

1. T120 is stuck near vertex 52.
2. The upper of line 2186 is missing an upper texture. Suggest ROCKRED1 or lower the ceiling height of sector 227 to a height of168.

map 24 ...

1. sw1garg at line 2278, 1381, 688, 2420 etc. does not animate because sw2garg has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
2. Lines 540, 29 and 28 are missing lower textures. Suggest ROCKRED1.
3. Missing textures on lines 2431, 2435 and 2680. This creates problems with adjoining sectors. To fix make sectors 454 and 242 have a floor height of 104 and the floor flat FLOOR7_1.
4. Sector 486 has the wrong floor flat. Should be FLOOR7_1.

map 25 ...

1. sw1lion at lines 2443, 2448 etc. does not animate because sw2garg has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
2. Line 4049 needs a length of 7.
3. sw1satyr at line 3835 2448 does not animate because sw2satyr has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
4. Line 1377 has a line type and is tagged but no corresponding sector tag.

map 27 ...

1. T192 - "revenant" near vertex 640 has its head rendered into the ceiling in opengl.
2. Linedef 1090 not scrolling. No X offset. Suspect it has to do with the upper texture. Area can be reworked slightly.
3. sw1lion's at line 1623 etc. don't not animate because sw2lion has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
4. Is scrolling up texture at lines 1082 and 1089 intentional ?

map 28.

1. Wrong ceiling flat sector 75. Should be MFLR8_2.
2. sw1lion textures don't not animate because sw2lion has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
3. sw2garg at line 3325, 9154 does not animate because sw2garg has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump. Similar for sw1loin and sw1satyr in map.
4. Risen3D v2.2.08 prints this error message to the console and risen3d.out ...

MID TEX ERROR: 4 visible 1's lines have no midtex.
Tex has been derived from a connected 1's line
L8556 : GSTONE1 used
L8557 : GSTONE1 used
L8559 : GSTONE1 used
L8560 : GSTVINE2 used

prboom+ just renders the sky here. By simply making sectors 1045 and 1046 have a floor and ceiling height of -55, risen3d will render this area the same as prboom+ and probably other ports too.

map 29 ...

Note animation for lines 496/497 etc. A direct consequence of supporting final doom in the iwad.

map 30 ...

1. Remove tag number 16 from sector 350.
2. Sector 359 needs have a floor height of 6, not -2 to prevent sector 359 continuing to rise when sector 352 has reached sector 353's floor height, and to match sector 364.
3. Line 3650 needs an upper texture - door. When door closes, HOM is seen from sector 404.
4. Note animation for lines 34246/3425 etc. A direct consequence of supporting final doom in the iwad.
5. L406's tag 13 is unreferenced.
6. T275 S137 references a missing tag 27.

hawkwind said:

This relates to "doom2.wad" dated 18th Sept ...

map 15 ...

The sectors of either side of lines 2519, 2516, 2513, 2510, 2528, 2531, 244, 5975 ,6212, 6453 will need a sector light difference of 1 to prevent the middle texture from bleeding into the floor with software ports.

map 28.

1. Wrong ceiling flat sector 75. Should be MFLR8_2.
2. sw1lion textures don't not animate because sw2lion has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump.
3. sw2garg at line 3325, 9154 does not animate because sw2garg has not used the correct patch in TEXTURE1 lump. Similar for sw1loin and sw1satyr in map.
4. Risen3D v2.2.08 prints this error message to the console and risen3d.out ...

MID TEX ERROR: 4 visible 1's lines have no midtex.
Tex has been derived from a connected 1's line
L8556 : GSTONE1 used
L8557 : GSTONE1 used
L8559 : GSTONE1 used
L8560 : GSTVINE2 used

prboom+ just renders the sky here. By simply making sectors 1045 and 1046 have a floor and ceiling height of -55, risen3d will render this area the same as prboom+ and probably other ports too.

5. L406's tag 13 is unreferenced.
6. T275 S137 references a missing tag 27.

Gotcha im going to fix those points when i have time i think this friday or this saturday. i just need to know here if i need to removed those mid textures?

" L8556 : GSTONE1 used L8557 : GSTONE1 used L8559 : GSTONE1 used L8560 : GSTVINE2 used"

thanks for the points to fix.

Z0k said:

Gotcha im going to fix those points when i have time i think this friday or this saturday. i just need to know here if i need to removed those mid textures?

" L8556 : GSTONE1 used L8557 : GSTONE1 used L8559 : GSTONE1 used L8560 : GSTVINE2 used"

thanks for the points to fix.

No problem. To elaborate. Those linedefs have missing middle textures. It depends what effect you want. Sky or a green brick wall. If a green brick wall fill in the missing textures, if sky use my previously mentioned fix.

EDIT: MAP Errors Fixed: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RSZ5LZDK If some error pop ups that need to get fixed let me know. you have good eye for that hawkind.

i just fix the error of middle textures from map 15 and the errors from map28 where the sky texture in the sectors 1045 and 1046 needed to be lowered to -55 so just the sky would show (i hope lol).

I broke freedoom. But then fixed it even better than before!

Made freedoom's MC* patches to plutonia's size, yet use doom2's lava, not rock patch. Modded tex1 to allow those sizes. This should allow full doom2 support with no glitches, while allowing plutonia pwads to be played with minimal visual glitches.

The only other way for doom2 to be 100% with final doom support would be to add another wad target.

Not on repo yet, but will need testing in maps with lava falls soon.

Response to Hawkwind notes, with the following changes to MAP09, MAP13.
I will hold on committing these maps, for now. Want more playability commentary. I may add about 5 monsters to each at difficulty 4.

map 09 ...

1.Sector 177 has the wrong ceiling flat. Should be FLAT17. (Fixed)
2.Sectors 411 and 412 would have looked better with the ceiling flat CEIL3_5
to match sector 382.
(Transition area with a leftover.
Moved the transition, fixed lighting, and changed store room to match.)
3. Check above and below sector 413.
I'm wondering if SLIME05 should be rendered in both cases.
(It was a problem area that I hoped would not be noticed.
I fixed it with another boom deep water sector to get the water floor
where it belongs.)

map 13 ...

(Nope: Those tags make the light of tagged sectors update when that
door is opened. The tagged sectors get brighter when the door is opened and get darker when it is closed. Without the tags that does not happen.)
2. Both lines 2629 and 2627 should both be a length of 17.
(It was intentional, to look different than the conveyor switches.
Is was planned as a push-push switch but I could not get one to work.
I adjusted it for better appearance (14,14).)
3. Lines 2592/2593/2583/2587 etc. should be impassible ?
(Nope: Getting dragged into the crusher is one of the dangers! I've
gone through a few times, when I got careless. Running across the
front of the crusher is one way to get rid of a bothersome worm,
knight, or baron. )
(The crusher and the conveyors have multiple speeds! To get the
monsters to go through the crusher (great fun!), set the conveyors to
speed 4. I usually get shot in the back when I spend too much time watching the worms go through the crusher! It is also the easiest way to deal with the vile and revenants.)
4. Sectors 908, 542 could do with a lamp.
(Overhead light added to room, but not in niche.)
(No lamps in the ductwork, air-vents, serviceways.)
5. Cannot see the switch at line 3499. It needs an offset of X79 , Y75. Known issue.
(Some Switch textures got changed entirely, changed this switch to SW1BRCOM texture which still looks the same.)
6. Sector 1009 is at the wrong ceiling height. It should be a height of 80 to match the surrounding sectors.
(Nope: Height of 88 is as intended. That cross-passage section
(1007,1008,1009) is slightly higher than the tunnel.)
7. Wrong ceiling flat for sector 197. Should be FLAT19.
(changed to FLAT2, from the neighboring sector)
8. The floor and ceiling flats of sectors 941 and 420 need to match
sectors 418 and 1026 ( silent teleport ) and 2439 could have a slight x alignment to match line 4311. Also highlight and drag lines 2435 and
2434 west so as not to see the texture on line 2431, which at present
also ruins the silent teleport. And both lines 2432 and 1908 should
look the same - x alignment.
(Completed the half done change in textures in the ductwork.
Matched the texture alignment for the facing linedefs.
Cannot move any lines west because they are aligned on the grid so
the floor tiling is identical.
Lengthened segment North-South to hide transport better, no more sneaking a peek around corner by side-stepping.
Added some detail to give the detour a rationale.)
9. Delete the mid tex on line 921. It should not be there.
(Found an extraneous one-sided midspace and removed it.)
10. Line 4142 needs a front side offset of x-2,y-56 and its back side
x8,y-56.
(OK, used those values)
11. "Glass" textures on lines 3626 and 3623 could have been translucent
- line special 260.
(I can give that a try.)

I have been having trouble with caesar.wad. Is there something different or incompatible with FreeDoom that using it as the IWAD with CAESAR.WAD would cause everything to be multicolored mismatched patches
(I got LAVA patches on the walls and computer consoles in the roman dressing room, etc. etc..) ??

I have tried Doom1 and Ult-Doom too, even though it says use Doom2.

wesleyjohnson said:

I have been having trouble with caesar.wad. Is there something different or incompatible with FreeDoom that using it as the IWAD with CAESAR.WAD would cause everything to be multicolored mismatched patches
(I got LAVA patches on the walls and computer consoles in the roman dressing room, etc. etc..) ??

I have tried Doom1 and Ult-Doom too, even though it says use Doom2.

There is a heavily modified texture1 in that wad. Without a pnames lmp may cause the wrong patches to be drawn since the patches are in a different order.

All the patches in pnames will need to be reordered in the same order as id's doom2.

Yeah PWADs with a TEXTURE1 and no PNAMES are not "portable", they are absolutely tied to the IWAD they are meant for.

You could make it work with FreeDoom by taking the PNAMES lump out of DOOM2 IWAD and inserting it into CAESAR.WAD (i.e. "fixing" the pwad).

wesleyjohnson said:

map 13 ...

(Nope: Those tags make the light of tagged sectors update when that
door is opened. The tagged sectors get brighter when the door is opened and get darker when it is closed. Without the tags that does not happen.)

Ah! I see now. Bear in mind that this is not a boom feature, but an MBF one. As such the effect will not work in Boom but will in prboom+ with the correct compat setting -complevel 11. Will of course work with other ports that support MBF features natively.

This raises a question ... Are MBF features allowed ?

wesleyjohnson said:

map 13 ...

(Nope: Height of 88 is as intended. That cross-passage section
(1007,1008,1009) is slightly higher than the tunnel.)

In this you are wrong. In any port that supports mouselook, look straight up when at sector 1009. Either a HOM or a higher ceiling without upper textures will be displayed. Also note that sector 1009 is not tagged like the surrounding sectors. If you want sector 1009's ceiling to render the same as the surrounding sectors its height must be lowered OR give sector 1009 a fake ceiling like the surrounding sectors.

hawkwind said:

Ah! I see now. Bear in mind that this is not a boom feature, but an MBF one.

The brightening effect is a Boom feature.
To quote boomref.txt :

Since a push door (P1/PR) has no use for its tag, BOOM has extended
the functionality to include changing any tagged sectors to maximum
neighbor lighting on fully opening, then to minimum neighbor lighting
on fully closing. This is true for regular, extended, and generalized
doors with push triggers.

Boom manual is where I found that door opening effect, and it works good too.

HOM in the tunnel cross passage in MAP13:
The tunnel is 80 high and at the cross passage it is 88 high, and that is as intended. If there is HOM then could be one of a number of things.

I will look again and see if there is any boom deep water effect with a bad ceiling height.
I have looked with DoomLegacy software renderer, using mouse freelook and do not see HOM (can look up about 45 degrees max).

I will have to try it with opengl, but I suspect that there are gl bugs somewhere because I have seen similar things in other maps.
In MAP01, halfway down the stairs there is a light over the stairs, and if you look straight up there are HOM patches on the light and above the strip on the wall. These are not present when using the software renderer and I can find no problems in the MAP01 linedefs in that area. So I assume there is some bug in opengl or the DoomLegacy hardware renderer code. Several times I have tried to track this down and have not solved it.

I can only test with DoomLegacy with sofware renderer and opengl, and PrBoom.
What port are you testing with and which render mode ??

Thank you for the information on caesar.wad. I will put that info into a review of it.
I am just glad it is not another bug in DoomLegacy that I have to fix.

andrewj said:

The brightening effect is a Boom feature.
To quote boomref.txt :

Since a push door (P1/PR) has no use for its tag, BOOM has extended
the functionality to include changing any tagged sectors to maximum
neighbor lighting on fully opening, then to minimum neighbor lighting
on fully closing. This is true for regular, extended, and generalized
doors with push triggers.

Yes, that is stated in boomref.txt. My mistake.

wesleyjohnson said:

What port are you testing with and which render mode ??

Risen3D, prboom+ in gl, gzdoom in gl and Eternity.

wesleyjohnson said:

HOM in the tunnel cross passage in MAP13:
The tunnel is 80 high and at the cross passage it is 88 high, and that is as intended. If there is HOM then could be one of a number of things.

But not sector 1007, which renders at 80 high, because of your fake ceiling, which in turn causes the problem at sector 1009.

wesleyjohnson said:

In MAP01, halfway down the stairs there is a light over the stairs, and if you look straight up there are HOM patches on the light and above the strip on the wall.

This is fixed in the nightly builds. I'm not sure about doom e1m1 though.

MAP13:
I saw the HOM using -opengl. I checked the boom deep water sectors and it was different than the real ceiling height (they should have been the same). I was about to fix it at 88, when I noticed that this corner was going to stick out. That area was at height 88 for a long time and I had worked on it over and over again, but must have given up have finally started changing to 80, and missed some things.

So I ended up fixing the real ceilings to be height 80 like you wanted, the deep water sectors were already at 80.

I checked it with software renderer and -opengl and the HOM is gone now.
This fix is not uploaded yet.

Was the MAP01 stairs thing a wad problem ?? I could not spot it so I thought it was a DoomLegacy bug and kept trying to fix it.
What was wrong in the wad ??

wesleyjohnson said:

Was the MAP01 stairs thing a wad problem ?? I could not spot it so I thought it was a DoomLegacy bug and kept trying to fix it.
What was wrong in the wad ??

Just a copy/paste ...

map 01 ...

1. Lines 1982 and 1606 need upper textures on their front sides to avoid visual glitches for mouselook ports.