Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dco16

[WIP] Beyond Revival

Beyond Revival is a Boom-Compatible 7-map episode for Doom 2.

MAP01:

MAP02:

MAP03:

MAP05:

MAP06:

So far:

MAP01 - Fringe Station - 99%
MAP02 - Aqueduct - 99%
MAP03 - Clockwork - 99%
MAP04 - Armory - 10%
MAP05 - Gauntlet - 99%
MAP06 - Excavation - 90%
MAP07 - Monoliths - 50%

Coming when it's done, late 2010/early 2011

All these shots look pretty cool, and show potential for a solid mapset! ;) I can't tell much from the shots of Map01 though, not such a fan of hallways.

Architecture and texturing looks inventive!

So... keep it up, and I'm looking forward to playing it!

I love the shadow trick in map05 screenshot, but I must say I'm not too keen about map03. It feels out of place among the other maps: More detailed, completely different visual style (progression is a good thing, but it would make more sense, based on these screens, if it in the beginning or in the end, but now it seems to be between somewhat similar levels), etc. Also the blue and green lights in the map05 screen look kind of out of place (but then again, I'm looking at it only from one angle).

But, looking forward to this, especially map02 and map06 because I love tan bricks. :P

Jodwin said:

It feels out of place among the other maps: More detailed, completely different visual style

What's wrong with diversity in themes and visual styles? Honestly? The thing that dragged Episode 1 & 2 of Scythe X down for me was the lack of variety, all the levels looked essentially the same, whenever I think of it, all I can remember is the Tekgreen texture.

DeathevokatioN said:

What's wrong with diversity in themes and visual styles? Honestly? The thing that dragged Scythe X down for me was the lack of variety, all the levels looked essentially the same, whenever I think of it, all I can remember is the Tekgreen texture.

Read the whole post. Nothing, but the progression should make sense. In this case, based on the screens, first we have brown, then more brown, then an almost meticulously detailed green&gray techbase, and then brown brown brown. Like I said, based on what I can see, it just doesn't make sense in the place where it is. Starting with theme A, then suddenly jumping to B, and in a moment going back to A makes little sense.

Jodwin said:

Read the whole post. Nothing, but the progression should make sense. In this case, based on the screens, first we have brown, then more brown, then an almost meticulously detailed green&gray techbase, and then brown brown brown. Like I said, based on what I can see, it just doesn't make sense in the place where it is. Starting with theme A, then suddenly jumping to B, and in a moment going back to A makes little sense.

I did read your whole post, I personally just see it as throwing a meticulously detailed green&gray techbase in to break up the brown bases to get rid of any potential monotony. Or maybe he's sorting the levels by difficulty. Anyway, I think it comes down more to personal preference, I loved the way Requiem and Momento Mori suddenly jumped from from Techbases to hellish bases and back again, instead of lumping them all together in accordance with theme, it made the sets feel more like an adventure. Doom 2 didn't have theme consistancy either, and it was better for it. But I'm getting offtopic here. :P

You got some really nice looking maps here Fiend! I like what you did with the METAL texture in the first shot. How did you do the sloped shadows in the 5th shot? Is that a custom texture?

Looking great though, I'll be looking forward to some new screenshots and a release :)

Jodwin said:

I love the shadow trick in map05 screenshot, but I must say I'm not too keen about map03. It feels out of place among the other maps: More detailed, completely different visual style (progression is a good thing, but it would make more sense, based on these screens, if it in the beginning or in the end, but now it seems to be between somewhat similar levels), etc. Also the blue and green lights in the map05 screen look kind of out of place (but then again, I'm looking at it only from one angle).

But, looking forward to this, especially map02 and map06 because I love tan bricks. :P

I've been trying to bridge the levels neatly. Map02 starts with brick but leads into more tech and by the end is more similar to map03.

I've also been worrying about the quantity/quality of detail between maps, most notably on map03, but map03 is probably the most polished of the maps so far and closer to it's final state than the others.

Mechadon said:

How did you do the sloped shadows in the 5th shot? Is that a custom texture?

It's a black shadow texture set against the wall with another linedef with boom transparency. It looked much better than I expected it would, but always requires an adjacent sector to be set with a different ceiling or floor brightness to match the wall and placement of solid black textures with the same effect along the wall to create consistant darkness.

Just thought I'd bump this with an idgames link for those that missed this release. What does everyone think of this project now that it's finished? IMO this is a very memorable set of levels, there is also some real gems in here, especially in the later levels, some of the fights were a bit easy and forgettable, but then again a lot of the fights were fun and challenging, and the locations were done very well and were memorable.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16273

Yep, I agree. Played through it yesterday in co-op. I liked all the maps really.

A little too excessive detailing at places, but whatever. Nice stuff!

It was a bit buggy. I just fixed the more serious stuff and re-uploaded. It's finals week, so I probably won't get to any of the smaller stuff until the weekend.