Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

I am dumb [about ultra-violence]

I only just realized that Ultra Violence was a pun on the term ultraviolet.

(I know it's from Clockwork though)

I was always under the impression that it was just a reference to a bit of the old ultra-violence. The ultraviolet thing never really occurred to me.

I thought Ultra-Violence was typical vernacular to describe something that is well.. very violent.

I can't tell where the joke starts and stupidity ends in these posts.

Ok, everyone who didn't think or realize it was a Clockwork Orange reference raise your left hand.

YES, your Left hand.

Well, I'm raising my right hand, but I don't think you can see it without being in the same room as me. Is what the original poster is trying to get at is that the phase "Ultra-violence", which comes from A Clockwork Orange, is a pun of "ultraviolet"?

I'm starting to regret my decision to draw my irritating image macros over a transparent background, because that means I can't just post 'em up on DW without making everyone highlight the post to see the black outlines of everything. But I'm going to link it anyway.

http://ionline.vectec.net/images/xa-goingon.png

Ok, basically the Doom difficulty name Ultra Violence is taken from A Clockwork Orange, which itself was making a pun on the term ultraviolet. That's that.

Technician said:

...Ok, everyone who didn't think or realize it was a Clockwork Orange reference raise your left hand.

YES, your Left hand.

Left hand raised. I'm with 40oz here in that I just thought it was just a phrase to describe very violent. The link to Clockwork Orange seems a little tenuous to me. :)

Sigvatr said:

Ok, basically the Doom difficulty name Ultra Violence is taken from A Clockwork Orange, which itself was making a pun on the term ultraviolet.

While the Clockwork Orange connection seems straightforward enough (excessive and gratuitous violence) the ultraviolet pun makes no sense to me.

There was a guy that posted here regularly with the user name Ultraviolet. I suppose he considered using that because of its similarity with ultra-violence, or at least was amused by that similarity, but you need some semantic or associative relation to make a pun, and I don't really see a reason to link the wave spectrum beyond violet with the term in Burgess' book (and not The Mammoth Book of Chess, but this other one being mentioned).

myk said:

There was a guy that posted here regularly with the user name Ultraviolet. I suppose he considered using that because of its similarity with ultra-violence, or at least was amused by that similarity, but you need some semantic or associative relation to make a pun, and I don't really see a reason to link the wave spectrum beyond violet with the term in Burgess' book (and not The Mammoth Book of Chess, but this other one being mentioned).

One could imagine a link from Ultra Violent to Ultraviolet the movie though. But that's the reverse of what the OP is suggesting.

GreyGhost said:

While the Clockwork Orange connection seems straightforward enough (excessive and gratuitous violence) the ultraviolet pun makes no sense to me.

To me it makes sense, considering ultraviolet rays present a greater risk than normal (light) rays. Ultra Violence = greater risk than normal skill, I guess.

But anyway, I think that Romero's humor during his making of Doom 1 wasn't as clever as during Wolf3d's and Quake's. Compare for example the game exit taunts from Doom with the ones from Wolf3d or Quake. I find the latter two better in quitter taunts.

printz said:

To me it makes sense, considering ultraviolet rays present a greater risk than normal (light) rays. Ultra Violence = greater risk than normal skill, I guess.

That's really really really far fetched.

It wouldn't be up to Romero as Sigvatr is presuming, as he clarified in his second post, a relation between the term in the book and ultraviolet... which I'd say no to, anyway. Ultra, for extreme, as used in the book, has been used in English for a long time, such as when calling someone an "ultra-nationalist" or the like. Burgess just gave the fictional slang term a specific use in the book, as a (fitting, really) name for brutal violence.

What Romero has mentioned in the past is that Tom Hall indeed took the skill level name ultra-violence from the book.