Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Your Top 5 Wads: Extended Edition

Your Top 5 Wads

Formatting
Make sure to describe before you list your top 5 wads what sort of wads you like best. That way people can refer to this thread, find posts that they can relate to and potentially find some wads they might not have played before.

ANYWAY

I'm a fan of maps that are large, not-too-detailed-but-still-look-nice, have billions of monsters and aren't necessarilly fair.

1) Whispers of Satan
2) Deus Vult
3) CHORDG
4) Sunder
5) Plutonia 2

Oh boy I'm going to be hated for this...

Keep in mind I don't have all that much experience either.

1. Threshold of pain (I like dark and twisted WADs)
2. Speed of Doom
3. Unloved (Good at first but it got boring after a while)
4. Jade Earth (Architecture mainly)
5. AV

I like WADs by with fast gameplay and/or good architecture, but it depends a lot on my mood.

1) Curse of D'Sparil
2) Scythe X
3) Scythe
4) Scythe 2
5) Hell Revealed

Does it really make sense to list DV and DV2 separately? I mean..the entirety of DV exists as a level in DV2, so it's already included when you say DV2. It's like listing Ultimate Doom but also Registered Doom, or listing both Final Doom and Plutonia separately. :P

esselfortium said:

Does it really make sense to list DV and DV2 separately? I mean..the entirety of DV exists as a level in DV2, so it's already included when you say DV2. It's like listing Ultimate Doom but also Registered Doom, or listing both Final Doom and Plutonia separately. :P

Hush.

esselfortium said:

I'm listing it because DV splits up that one map into 4 maps which I like better then sitting down and play that whole map at one time.

I don't have any specific criteria to enjoy a WAD, but I seem to go more towards the more challenging ones that have more than 1 map. If the following have more in common other than just plain challenge, I may be overlooking it:

1.) PsychoPhobia
2.) Whispers of Satan
3.) UAC Ultra
4.) Scythe X
5.) Project: Slipgate (not entirely challenging, but I love Quake)

Though I have a feeling Plutonia Revisited and Unholy Realms are gonna replace a couple up there judging from what I've played.

I'd like to make a post here but I find my favorite wads tend to change every once in a while. It's pretty easy for me to spurt out some wads I like but I feel like I only enjoy them because they were some recent ones that stuck in my memory. However, every once in a while I'll replay an old wad that I felt was average and established a new love for it after playing it a second time. One of those wads would have to be Icarus. The first time I played it was pretty meh but I replayed it a few weeks ago and admired the beauty and creativity of the mapper's work.

Scythe 2, has and always does stick in my mind as an absolute favorite though. I feel like it did just about everything I could want in a Doom wad correctly. I'm hesitant to throw any other favorite wads out there though.

I like all sorts of levels... but in general I like straightforward, fairly easy gameplay. Like Episode 1 of Doom (only not THAT easy, I still like to be challenged). I like wads with neat architecture. Give me boring, simple rooms stock textures and I won't play for long.

1. UAC Ultra
2. Scythe
3. Equinox
4. Mapgame
5. Suspended in Dusk

Edit: Rearranged wads... Foreverhood removed from number 5 and replaced with Equinox. Can't believe that I forgot that amazing wad.

My current favorites are...

Requiem
Momento Mori 1
Momento Mori 2
Alien Vendetta
Darkening episode 1

Scythe 1 gets an honourable mentions

And I need to play Icarus again, the levels felt a little big and had a bit too many hitscanners and not enough armor for my liking the first time I played it. :P

Scythe 2's ending is hilarious, although I think that it is still a good deviation from the routine monster spitting boss.

The Darkening Ep. 2
Phobos: Anomaly Reborn
Nimrod
KDiZD
Hi-Tech Hell 2

I think it's obvious that I prefer techbase stuff.

NaturalTvventy said:

It's worth pointing out that the date the story of UAC Dead is set in will occur very soon.

I need to order a few more cells for my plasma rifle before that happens.

I can't really do this list because of different reasons. But Aliens TC is probably my all time favorit WAD.

A few others I like (but I am not entirely sure I would list them as favorits), Darkening E2, HTH2, Phocas Island 2. No others really spring to mind right now.

I must say though that I have half a heart to list my own WAD for Heretic, Curse of d'sparil. For once I am quite happy with what I made there, and while there are things I would probably do different if I were to make it again. I still feel very happy with what I did make.

I like wads where I get to shoot shit, without tedious garbage - which I can't resume in a simple bullet point list. For example, the gameplay in RYLAYEH would bore me in most other wads but works there because the whole mapset feels like an adventure to me.

1) XXXI CyberSky
2) Sunder
3) Scythe 2
4) RYLAYEH
5) Slayer

1) Alien Vendetta
2) Ultimate Simplicity
3) Sunder
4) Sine Die
5) Thunderpeak

Honorable mention to: MM, MM2, HR, HR2, Requiem, uTNT, Ultimate Doom, Evilution, Plutonia, Plutonia2 WoS, SoD, KDiZD, Base Ganymede, Dripfeed, just about anything by Eternal, and numerous other great wads that I can't think of right now.

Usually I take pleasure in the more old-school Doom levels that feel like something I could have played back in the day. Especially huge levels like The Sewers or Odyssey of Noises from the first Plutonia, while still having that old school Doom feel they also had their touch of realism. I guess you could say I love a good balance of old school Doom while still having its share of realism. The Plutonia Experiment I think in general is a great example of what I mean (and I've yet to play Plutonia 2).

Top 5 favorite WADs (at the moment):
1. Eternal Doom (EDIII that is, the one with 34 levels)
2. Icarus: Alien Vanguard
3. Requiem
4. The Enigma Episode (big fan of Jim Flynn's work, by the way)
5. Dystopia 3 (mostly on the lower difficulties)

An honorable mention goes to Alien Vendetta, I enjoyed maps 1-20 as well as 31 and 32, but the last 10 maps weren't that interesting and it was hard for me to continue due to lack of interest.

Personally, I have these:
1. WOS - really appreciateful work with loads of detail but no disappointment in combat realisation.
2. Alien Vendetta - beautiful and well-designed. Also well organised.
3. Kama Sutra - same as AV. And also hilarous.
4. Twilight Zone II - weirdo but kinda cool stuff.
5. Icarus - quite good! Played alot.

1.) Stronghold: On the edge of chaos
2.) Super Sonic Doom
3.) AEons of Death
4.) Claustrophobia 1024 & 1024 2 (both)
5.) Eternal Doom III

I feel more of "wadizer" really, as TimeOfDeath implies. A few favorites among thousands of good WADs? Get real. Same happens with books, if you ask me, hence I didn't say anything in that "favorite books" thread Deeforce managed to create before winning his prize.

I just tend to like decent looking vanilla or limit removing WADs with polished game-play the most, but even WADs that have some flaws in one or another department can have something good to give, as the game plays well even on poorer levels and you have to make an effort to make ugly things that hurt the eyes.

I have a much easier time coming up with a list of authors than WADs or levels, as a result. A quick list of ten indisputably good authors: Espi, Romero, TiC, Dweller, Toke, Erik Alm, Mutator, Adolf Vojta, the Casali brothers and Iikka Keränen.

esselfortium said:
Does it really make sense to list DV and DV2 separately? I mean..the entirety of DV exists as a level in DV2, so it's already included when you say DV2. It's like listing Ultimate Doom but also Registered Doom

Could be, I guess... I used such logic in a recent IWADs thread: I really like how DOOM v1.9 IWAD came out, and while the Ultimate DOOM IWAD simply adds something (E4) that itself is pretty cool, it added it in a messy way, making the whole shebang somewhat lamer as a whole.

I imagine this works more when one likes the original more than the offshoot, but I suppose it could also work if a derivative adds something which is good enough to make it a notch more valuable that the original but ruins some aspects that still stand out better in its progenitor.

It's all pretty subjective, close to comparing a vinyl recording to a CD edition, or a plain movie and its 3D counterpart, but that sort of thing can count too.

I like WADs that do something different. I don't usually get into classic-style WADs because I feel like I've played them before (in the classic Doom games), so when a WAD surprises me with something fresh and innovative, I'm pretty much hooked.

1. "Unloved" by Paul Schneider (the only Doom WAD to every scare the poo out of me...constantly haha)
2. "The Ultimate Torment and Torture" by Tormentor667
3. "Demons of Problematique" 1 + 2 by Dennis "Exl" Meuwissen
4. "Void" by Cyb (surreal!)
5. "Claustrophobia 1024" by various

Honorable mentions:
"Grove" by B.P.R.D, "Phobia: the Age" by Kristian "Kristus" Käll, "XXXI CyberSky" by Eternal, "Cheogsh" by Shadowman, and "Hell Ground" by Eternal

It's hard picking just five (at least for me)

1) Kama Sutra
2) Hell Revealed
3) STRAIN
4) 2002 ADO
5) Icarus

In a different mood my top five could have included Alien Vendetta, Equinox, Vile Flesh, TVR!, H2H-Xmas, Hacx, et al.

I'll second the comment above, "I like good wads." I'll add that I like wads that force the player to play creatively.