Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Powerslave vs Exhumed

Alright, so searching ebay, PSX Powerslave is like, very expensive. PSX Exhumed is not very expensive.

My question is though, is that these are pretty much the exact same game, just different names for different release areas, right?

I'm looking ofr a playstation buy, but the PSX Powerslave is pretty pricey, and so I was looking for the European name change.

Since it's from over there though (I live in the US), would there be any compatibility problems? I've heard of games, like Star Wars Battlefront, that would only work in their release area. FOr example, I was told that by my cousin that his Middle East release of Battlefront, would not work in the US, due to ME PS@'s having 'more power'. I don't know if this really true or not, or if his CD was utterly destoryed, but yah.

So any info/help with this please?

Powerslave is the name of the American release, and Exhumed is the name of the European release. If my assumptions are correct, Powerslave is for NTSC consoles, and Exhumed is for PAL consoles, meaning you have to have an appropriate Playstation and television in order to play it.

You're right Earthquake. But don't bother, the Saturn version is better.

Use3D said:

...But don't bother, the Saturn version is better.

I agree. If you have a Saturn the game costs pennies and you can get the Action Replay cart that lets you play games from any region.

In fact, you'd be cheaper buying a Saturn and the game than buying the PSX Power Slave.

As far as I'm aware there's no difference between the games other than the name. Though the PC version is quite different map-wise from the console releases. :)

The PC version actually uses an entirely different engine to the Saturn and PSX versions.

The PC version is built off an early version of the Build engine while the console versions are built off a Quake like 3d engine called SlaveDriver that was also used for the Saturn versions of Duke3D and Quake (yeah the Saturn version of Quake didn't use the Quake engine apparently).

I actually feel the Saturn version to be the best. I think the controls are just a bit smoother than the PC version. Maybe it's a DOSBox problem but I just find that the Saturn version holds up better than the PC version...

The PC version is just feels like a weak Duke wannabe Build game. On Saturn it feels like something more creative and interesting. Figured that was just me though. Having played the PC version second, I was expecting more.

Also thanks for that insightful contribution Craigs.

Use3D said:

Also thanks for that insightful contribution Craigs.

He's competing for the title of Most useless poster. I gotta step up my game!

So far the only thing i've been hearing is 'Buy the saturn version'. Firstly, I don't want the SS version because i don't want it. Also, i don't have a saturn.

Well those are your options. Since you're set on the PSX version consider emulation. Otherwise you're up shit creek.

Christ people, we are nowhere near the original question. Alright, so someone said something about Exhumed being built for PAL systems or something, which is a european version I believe, right?

EarthQuake said:

Powerslave is the name of the American release, and Exhumed is the name of the European release. If my assumptions are correct, Powerslave is for NTSC consoles, and Exhumed is for PAL consoles, meaning you have to have an appropriate Playstation and television in order to play it.

Comprehension, a big part of reading.

Sounds like you just totally missed the first two replies the whole time you were reading this thread.

No, I read them. I'm just not sure what you mean by 'appropiate playstation'. I plan on my using US PS2 like i do for all my PSX games.

If you buy Exhumed, you need a PAL PSX or PS2 to play it with. Otherwise there will be compatibility issues. If you want to save yourself the trouble, just get Powerslave even if it is more expensive.

Powerslave/Exhumed/Seireki 1999: Pharao no Fukkatsu was one of many titles 3D Realms planned to do with the Build Engine. Its working title was Ruins: Return of the Gods. Like Blood, the title was sold to another company, in this case Playmate Interactive.

The pc version have not the nice lightmapping, but looks clearer than the PAL/NTSC resolution of the console versions.
The psx version suffers from various problems, the developers had, while porting SlaveDriver to the platform.

So my rating is Saturn > PC > PSX in this case.

I have Exhumed for the PS1.

It could have been a cool game, but the awkward controls and the lack of saves/checkpoints in the levels made it too frustrating. I got as far as the lava serpent thing bosses and gave up.

Dan. Oh well, I think I found a good price for a 'PowerSlave' copy though. (Just a disc though, but thats how I got Doom PSX too, so It doesn't matter. I ahev lots of cases for cd's.)

Thanks everyone fo the info.

'ello all,

Just thought I'd pop in real quick and see if could help out a bit...

1. The import versions of PowerSlave are *exactly* the same, except for any voicing that isn't in English. For example, the Japanese version("1999") is fully voiced in Japanese, but everything else is the same.

2. Depending on how you feel about playing the game through a FAQ, I would probably try to grab the Japanese version(if it's cheap as well) so you don't have to deal with any PAL to NTSC issues. One nice thing about PSX PowerSlave is that is can climb up all the way up to 60fps in certain levels...and it's just damn smooth. With the PAL stuff running at a lower rate, it probably doesn't do that.

3. The common rhetoric that most will try to feed you is that the Saturn version is superior in every single way, no matter what, and you shouldn't even bother with the PSX version. This is right out, imo. They're actually different games, so if you enjoyed the Saturn version, the PSX version is worth checking out.

Due to the various differences in the hardware, levels got changed(and made smaller), some architecture got beefed up, the polygon count was increased, etc in the PSX version. Plus, it's *much* harder. The Lobotomy guys called the PSX version "PowerSlave Remix" as they tweaked a lot of things and made it a much more challenging game. Trust me, it's worth owning both versions.

4. As others have mentioned, the PC version is *completely* different. Using the BUILD engine, it's...well, a PC FPS. Most hated it, the little I've been able to play if it(it runs like ass in DOSBox, last I checked) was pretty hip. The console versions retain some of things introduced in the PC version, but usually scaled down.

5. The Saturn version of the game, again like some have mentioned, runs off the "Slave Driver" engine. This engine was later updated and used for the Saturn versions of both Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. They beat out Eurocom, IIRC, for the contract to bring them both to the Saturn.

6. The main reason everyone says the Saturn version seems to run more smoothly is that...well, it kind of does. It runs at a constant framerate(around 30fps, dipping slightly when there are a lot of explosions going on) while the PSX version has this odd sort of dynamic framerate. It allows the game to climb to a silky-smooth 60fps at times...but it can also dip to the sub-teens during intense action.

All in all, both games are excellent. At one point I tried to get a hold of Ezra and the others at Lobotomy to get the source code for the PC version of PowerSlave, so that I could get it to JonoF as he had agreed to port it using his own port of the BUILD engine. Would have been so effin awesome too, but no one had a copy of the source code. I still try from time to time, since Lobotomy disbanded(shortly after Quake was released) it's been hard to get a hold of them...

Bel

I had to play my copy last night after all this. Cavern of Peril is damn tricky, one wrong step and it's a dip in the acidic swamp. Toasting mummies with the flame thrower just doesn't get old.

Belpowerslave said:

The Saturn version of the game, again like some have mentioned, runs off the "Slave Driver" engine. This engine was later updated and used for the Saturn versions of both Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. They beat out Eurocom, IIRC, for the contract to bring them both to the Saturn.

Yeah, Quake runs and looks great (gotta love Dank and Scuz), but I felt the texture artwork in Duke didn't translate well to the Saturn and looks washed out. It's a shame the engine didn't get licensed out more, it's really powerful and versatile. Thanks for dropping in!

Belpowerslave said:

At one point I tried to get a hold of Ezra and the others at Lobotomy to get the source code for the PC version of PowerSlave, so that I could get it to JonoF as he had agreed to port it using his own port of the BUILD engine. Would have been so effin awesome too, but no one had a copy of the source code. I still try from time to time, since Lobotomy disbanded(shortly after Quake was released) it's been hard to get a hold of them...

This has been currently a goal of my own as well. Except a bit more deep perhaps. ;) PSN's PSOne classics page needs more FPS titles other than Dark Forces and Medal of Honor (I've always hoped for PSX Doom, PowerSlave, Quake II). PowerSlave I think would be the least likely as of now though due to the loss of Lobotomy a while back. God knows who owns the game now.

As far as I know, when Playmates Interactive went under the license for PS was released. I don't know if Lobotomy retained it or what the deal is, but when I last talked to Paul Schreiber he didn't even know. We were only talking about the PC version, though, so I'm not sure what the deal would be with the console versions.

If Ezra can Death Tank up and running on XBLA though, I'd guess that, with some effort, PS could make it to the PSN. :)

Bel

Belpowerslave said:

If Ezra can Death Tank up and running on XBLA though, I'd guess that, with some effort, PS could make it to the PSN. :)

Bel

That would be pretty awesome; I'd love to be able to play Powerslave on my PSP.