Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Microdoom: Challenge - Why stop at 1024?

I know fuck all about how to make proper contest threads so I'm just going to go straight into it for you guys. I'm sure you've all heard of congestion 1024, right? Well the idea here is to take it to the next level.

Basically, the idea of this contest is to cram the most detailed/complicated/funnest playable map into as small of a space as possible. I've been thinking about this for quite a while and Xaser finally gave me the motivation to do it.

Rules:

-Must be 1000 by 1000 units or SMALLER in size.
-You may design inaccessible outside sectors, but try to keep them as small as possible. Don't let them make the map more than 1500 x 1500.
-If you're going to design a few square rooms with a switch and an exit, look elsewhere.
-If add so much detail that you begin to sacrifice playability for aesthetics, stop.
-Be original. Don't let your norms or ideals set you back unless they make the map worse instead of better.
-If you're going to use custom music, try to use MIDI versions of Metal songs. I REALLY LIKED the MIDI version of Almost Honest in MAP03 of Congestion 1024.

Judges:

None as of now

If anyone has some ideas feel free to throw them in.

The reason for a weird number like 1024 is because it conforms to any grid size up to 256x256. 1000 isn't really divisible by anything other than 2 and 4, which doesn't feel very stable.

See also:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15600

Cylcoid's Congestion 384. Which inspired me to...

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/47871-doom2-386/

My Doom2 version (ignore the 386 in thread title - it's a typo). If you (or anyone else) wants to add maps to this project you're more than welcome. I was planning on donating it to Dee's Doom Limbo site when it's up and running.

Csonicgo said:

Make a micro-episode (9 "levels") in one map, all "levels" 512 size.

This doesn't sound a bad idea, my map called dungeonmania is build in this way (only the maps i've made are 7, and the size is 384x384), whatever not a bad idea at all...

Guest DILDOMASTER666
purist said:

See also:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15600

Cylcoid's Congestion 384. Which inspired me to...

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/47871-doom2-386/

My Doom2 version (ignore the 386 in thread title - it's a typo). If you (or anyone else) wants to add maps to this project you're more than welcome. I was planning on donating it to Dee's Doom Limbo site when it's up and running.

Talking about your Doom2 384 project, I would just like to say I really liked it.

Oh yeah, this thread blows by the way. How about everyone start making maps in any dimensions they want, but no larger than 512x512. This project will consist of 3 maps, and each map will consist of no more than seven parts. First map is a techbase, second is brick/metal, third is in the same general arcing theme as Doom E2. You are allowed to use d1gfxd2.wad and nb5texd2.wad for textures.

Fisk said:

Oh yeah, this thread blows by the way. How about everyone start making maps in any dimensions they want, but no larger than 512x512. This project will consist of 3 maps, and each map will consist of no more than seven parts. First map is a techbase, second is brick/metal, third is in the same general arcing theme as Doom E2. You are allowed to use d1gfxd2.wad and nb5texd2.wad for textures.

Your retarded idea blows. Do you mean people will each make one out of seven parts for the level? What are you going to do about ammo balance, keys, powerups, etc??? Also wtf is up with this theme progression...techbase to slightly hellish BACK to techbase to half-hellish? Major fail. As if people will even follow "E2" theme, which is very specific.

Marnetmar, please save this thread from dick-swinging! I will start making a 256 map :P

Well I do agree that this thread is pointless considering how late I am, but I'm amused by the shitstorm that I have created and I would like it to continue.

How about all maps limited to 10kb in filesize?

I once did an experiment with 640x640 after trying 512x512 and becoming too frustrated. I don't really see the point of going below 1024, since it starts to hinder gameplay at a certain point.

Fiend said:

I don't really see the point of going below 1024, since it starts to hinder gameplay at a certain point.

I disagree, I find most 1024 maps full of gameplay hinderances because they try to pack in so much that you've simply no room to move, and exploit the player's greatest weapon, his incredible movement speed. On the other hand cycloid's Congestion 384 was one of the most entertaining wads I've had the pleasure to play, since 384 is so small there's no room to pack anything in other than one room's worth of intense battle.

While playing through the most recent 1024 release, I noticed how many of the maps still had very large (relatively speaking) numbers of monsters in them and as a result just ended up having you standing around in cramped environs while more monsters teleported in.

What would people think about taking a different angle on things and making maps with no more than a certain number of enemies, say 75 or even 50, but letting the map be whatever physical size and shape it needed to be (most would end up being relatively small anyway, I imagine, but not necessarily so cramped and definitely not so square...)

Then you'd have the potential for truly enjoyable bite-size Dooming without it just turning into a question of how long you can make the player take slogging through your 1024 by 1024. Don't misunderstand me, I genuinely enjoyed 90% of the various 1024 maps, but I did often find myself looking at ZDoom's enemy count and saying 'okay, only XX more monsters until I can actually leave the level that I've practically already seen in its entirety.'

I disagree, I find most 1024 maps full of gameplay hinderances because they try to pack in so much that you've simply no room to move, and exploit the player's greatest weapon, his incredible movement speed. On the other hand cycloid's Congestion 384 was one of the most entertaining wads I've had the pleasure to play, since 384 is so small there's no room to pack anything in other than one room's worth of intense battle.

Couldn't agree more with these thoughts. My experience mirrors yours.