Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Pedro VC said:

IMAGES

Looks nice overall, but I have to say that the warning-striped arch looks a bit rough. Sort of an eyesore in an otherwise attractive group of shots.

Vermil said:

A little nitpick and something I've seen other mappers do; how can a pointing downward ceiling light project a huge bright spot on a ceiling higher than it?

Through the magic of engine limitations! GZDoom only has spherical pointlights, and does not project shadows from geometry, so you get silly things like seeing the light of a torch from the other side of a wall. Vavoom has a more advanced light model, and probably Doomsday too.

bgraybr said:

The architecture is a little simple... you should make rooms more open and try to use "standard" line lengths and sector heights so that its easier to align textures.

Then he would be sacrificing interesting rooms for texture allignment, which to be honest isnt that vital (as long as the textures are only unalligned horizontally and not vertically), after all, the original Dooms had poor allignments and no one seems to care.

Foodles said:

Then he would be sacrificing interesting rooms for texture allignment, which to be honest isnt that vital (as long as the textures are only unalligned horizontally and not vertically), after all, the original Dooms had poor allignments and no one seems to care.

In the last screenshot, if he just lowered the ceiling a little then the star textures on the wall would be aligned vertically. You don't have to sacrifice interesting architecture, and in the end it just looks cleaner.

I'm working on a Doom 3 map. I'll probably slope the ground when I get back, so it won't be all at the same level.

EDIT: is it easy enough in GIMP to remove shadows from graphics like that brick texture on the floor? As it is now, the texture looks like a photo taken on a sunlit wall, but the engine is capable enough to generate real shadows on texture surfaces thanks to normalmapping, so all the redundant photographed shadows have to go.

What version of DB2 are you using? The most recent version is fine, but 2.1.0.1322 had a bugged version of ZDBSP which did exactly what you have encountered here.

Kyka said:

What version of DB2 are you using? The most recent version is fine, but 2.1.0.1322 had a bugged version of ZDBSP which did exactly what you have encountered here.

Ah! That would be it :D Damn Codeimp and crew snuck out a new version of DB2 when I wasn't looking!

An incomplete enemy for Cyndrome. Inspired by British royal guard. Screw bi-peds.

Incomplete stuff from my cc4 map. I don't know if I can finish anything I start anymore.

Recently modified and expanded one of my speedmaps into a DM map. Also replace some of the textures with UAC Ultra textures.

Another screenshot from map 2 of RP (gray floor is a place holder)
I think I'm going to have to make the rest of the map for RP limit removing as I hit this limit in a lot of places.

@lupinx-kassman.

That looks awesome. Like Doom meets Giger meets something... purple. I like it.

@philnemba.

tbh, am not totally sold on those screenshots. They look somehow, cluttered. The wooden crates don't look right, and some of the wall insets are too, well they clash with the grey themes of the rooms. Interesting, but needs some of those textures changed.

@Malinku.

Very cool. I am not sure about this, but I think diagonal lines have many more segs than lines that are oriented vertically or horizontally. I think, I could be wrong tho. So that is perhaps why you are running into the segs limit even though you are way way under the PLN limit.

Great looking area tho. I really like your architectural style.

Also, just because I felt like it, some random screenies from some random levels of my project.

Kyka posted:
picture with gravel on the ceiling

? Is this supposed to make sense?

Unless of course it's some anti-gravity system holding the rocks up there, and every once in a while it shuts off and you get crushed by pebbles. In that case it become one of those rare instances where you become Mapper of the Year without actually releasing anything.

I'm pretty certain there were some doom 2 maps that featured that same flat on the ceiling.

Nice stuff Kyka, as usual :). I'm loving the greens your using in the first shot and the blood accents in the third shot are really well done.

DuckReconMajor said:

? Is this supposed to make sense?

Unless of course it's some anti-gravity system holding the rocks up there, and every once in a while it shuts off and you get crushed by pebbles. In that case it become one of those rare instances where you become Mapper of the Year without actually releasing anything.

Y'know, when I originally made this map, I thought it looked awesome. But that was like 2 years ago, and this map has had countless alterations since. But until you said this, I had never really noticed this particular ceiling. At the time I made it, I was thinking that this ceiling made the area look really 'bathroomy'. But now I can't decide if I like it or not anymore.

And also, not that I am going to win mapper of the year or anything, but I have actually had maps released in the last year. I did a pile of maps for the 2 Claustrophobia1024 mapsets. Admittedly, most of these were either remade by me or were maps that I co-created with others. Only two were completely by me alone. But still. I did get something out in the last year. Does playtesting count? I sure did a lot of that...

And while we are on the subject of potential mapper of the year...

40oz said:

I'm pretty certain there were some doom 2 maps that featured that same flat on the ceiling.

You are spot on. Far top left room on map 19 just to name one. Course, unlike my area, this area is too dark and the ceiling too high to be very noticeable.

darkreaver said:

Gravel on the ceiling rules.

Take that, DRM.

Also, thanks Mechadon and Gazebo for the encouragement. Appreciated. :)

darkreaver said:

Gravel on the ceiling rules.

I agree, lately I've become more font of people using textures in an unusual kind of way. I might just use that idea for a map I'm working on :p Nice shots Kyka, I see some cool detail. Some should have taken you quite a while to finish I asume.

It would be interesting (though the engine or imposed limits might forbid it) to see the gravel stones drop one-by-one from the ceiling and possibly hurt whoever is hit by them.

Some shots from my map for the "Doom the way did it" project:

i'm did it good?

EDIT: added also some screenshots from "pure evil" remake for the "1994 tuen-up project":

Enjoy the madness!

Some shots from an underground-themed map which will be in the same WAD as this map. There's a lot of expansion yet to do and many of these areas will undoubtedly look different in the final version of the map, especially the shot of the chasm.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101021_155405.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101021_155629.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101021_160008.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101021_160029.png

Kyka said:

tbh, am not totally sold on those screenshots. They look somehow, cluttered. The wooden crates don't look right, and some of the wall insets are too, well they clash with the grey themes of the rooms. Interesting, but needs some of those textures changed.

I've already change the wall textures in the plasma gun room with something better. Anyway, thanks for the little feedback considering that I've been mapping less ans less lately.

To StupidBunny and Walter: nice shots you two.

^
Wow! Your Starcraft mod is rally coming along. :P

I do like the flames. They have a nice stylised quality that is kind of reminiscent of Nintendo (to me!). That's a good thing by the way! If there's anyone that can take limited tech and produce something of artistic merit, it's Nintendo. :)