Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

doom floors ( ice type)

hi everybody how is going with doom?
well there's a very good question and i hope that someone might help me to solve this problem so other can use this info:
how can you create a slippery floor in doom? i mean like hexen or heretic and how can you make changing floors and moving textures.
thanx in advance.

Not all of these effects are possible in vanilla Doom, thankfully there are source ports that make it possible - Boom compatible source ports.

The best way to learn it is to study this map.

I am not sure what you mean with changing floors. Do you mean animated flats like FWATER or just changing the flat when a certain action is executed?

Vanilla doom can change the flat using the donut linedef type, Boom also adds a couple of extended types.
You can make new animated textures and flats using Boom's ANIMATED lump. If you for some reason do not like command-line utilities, you can generate the lump easier using Espi's Boom Animation Manager.

thank you.
speaking of changing floor,i meant automatically using script.
and for textures i need animdefs right?

I guess you are making a ZDoom map. In that case you should use ANIMDEFS for texture animation. It covers both flats and wall textures, because they are interchangable in ZDoom.

You can change the floor texture in a script using ChangeFloor.

There is a different way to make icy floor and scrolling flats in ZDoom. You can use them by setting sector specials, for example Sector_LowFriction (for slippery surfaces) and sector actions 201 to 224 for scrolling with Hexen behavior.

The easiest way to make an icy floor in ZDoom is to use the Heretic sector type. It's type 79 in ZDoomHexen format.