Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deepthought

using pk3 files

i've been trying to convert a WAD i was working on into a pk3. so i took my bitmaps and converted them into png files and put it in the sprites directory of a pk3 file. but now all the sprites render with the top-left corner at the bottom of the actor. why is this and how do i fix it?

They do not have offsets.

It is, by the way, unlikely your previous sprites were bitmaps. Because, among other reasons, BMPs cannot have offsets, so they wouldn't have worked either. Presumably, they were in Doom's native picture format, which does support offsets.

Also, if they were in a supported image format, you did not need to convert them at all anyway.

But if you had had the common sense to use SLADE3 to convert the graphics to PNG, they would have kept their offsets. This is because SLADE3 is awesome.

So if I want paletted (color-translatable) graphics in the PK file, I'll have to rawly export the Doom GFX and accept calling them .lmp or .raw or whatever?

printz said:

So if I want paletted (color-translatable) graphics in the PK file, I'll have to rawly export the Doom GFX and accept calling them .lmp or .raw or whatever?

Yeah. Is that a problem?

Also you don't need to give them an extension. It'll be ignored by the engine anyway.

Gez said:

Yeah. Is that a problem?

No actually... it's just that people may be more tempted to just use full color PNG files and forfeit the Decorate palette translation feature. It's a minor thing though.