Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Doomsday problems

For starters, hi.

I am a user of the Doomsday source port and I have two problems with it:

The upper and lower hemispheres of the sky texture do not render correctly and are just a solid color, with the sky in the middle.

This isn't a particularly horrible problem that it obscures my vision and saps power out of my demon stomping abilities but it is rather annoying to see the sky all jacked up.

And my second problem is while I know how to turn fog on and off, I have no idea how to change the color, everything I do results in an error in the console despite giving me an obvious list of things I can put in but no exact way of saying how.

I am using Doomsday 1.8.6. (stable release).

BurningCadavre said:

The upper and lower hemispheres of the sky texture do not render correctly and are just a solid color, with the sky in the middle.

Isn't it normal? The original engine did not allow to look up and down, so the original data don't have images for the top and the bottom of the skybox, and ports have to improvise with the data they have.

Unless you use some resource pack with enhanced skyboxes, that should be expected.

Oddly enough, they display fine in Hexen. Most of them anyway, I think. Heretic does the same thing as Doom. Doom64 TC didn't have this problem either.

EDIT: There is an option under the control panel to render the full sky but it doesn't do anything.

I'm not allowed to post attachments.

Windows XP Service Pack 3
Pentium IV processor
1 GB RAM
2.60 GHz
96MB on-board video card utilizing Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.

OpenGL/Direct3D games from Quake series up to Doom 3 even look/run fine. I lack any form of shaders in my GLSL however. OpenGL version is 1.4.

EDIT: Alternatively I can just host a screenshot:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/Untitled1.png

I do use HRP but I modified mine (resized to default Doom values).

That sky doesn't look like the normal Inferno sky (SKY3).
Here is how it should look:

BurningCadavre said:

I do use HRP but I modified mine (resized to default Doom values).

I am not sure what the point is, then.

On a related side note, when I attempted to try out Risen3D (because of what someone said) one time, the result was even more heinous on there, I won't bother going into details but the skybox didn't exist at all in this port, just a black void of nothingness.

EDIT: The possibility of fixing my problem may be somewhere in here:

# Number of sky sphere quadrant subdivisions.
rend-sky-detail force 6

# Sky sphere radius.
rend-sky-distance 1600

# 1=Always render the full sky sphere.
rend-sky-full 1

# Number of sky sphere rows.
rend-sky-rows force 3

# Sky rendering mode: 0=normal, 1=quads.
rend-sky-simple 0

I have the same values for those options.

For some reason the top row of your sky seems to be chopped off (single color) instead of fading out to the color.

You may be able to mitigate the problem by increasing rend-sky-rows i.e. rend-sky-rows force 24. Then restart doomsday to see the effect.

The sky problem looks more fundemental than a bad install or an addon issue.

It's probably an incompatability with the graphics card or settings, which juding by the ammount of ram it has, might be quite old or not really meant for games?

96MB on-board video card utilizing Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.

Thanks 4mer. Didn't realize it was that simple.

If it wasn't really meant for games, a lot of stuff wouldn't work or display properly. No artifacting or graphical anomalies in other games.

I feel this has been resolved. Thanks.