Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

How often do you use god mode?

I have a confession to make. I turn on god mode about 90% of the time when I play Doom. This is primarily because one of my favorite aspects of Doom levels is nicely designed levels and architecture and I like to run around maps looking at things.

I could use nomonsters when I play, but killing them is still satisfying almost two decades later, even if you are cheating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pussy who sucks at Doom. I've beaten Doom 2 in nightmare mode (not so lucky in Final Doom), but today I usually look for new wads that have nice architecture and atmosphere.

Sometimes I get a feeling that all of the reviews in New Stuff are by guys who use god mode all of the time.

Rarely anymore. I played through all the IWADS and a lot of PWADS and megawads in the past, but nowadays I almost never toss in the codes. Last time I remember doing so was when I speedran through E1M2 trying to get it done as quickly as possibly to try to get around a Chocolate Doom critical error, which was pointless because it turned out I needed a new version of Chocolate Doom anyways.

Sigvatr said:

I have a confession to make. I turn on god mode about 90% of the time when I play Doom. This is primarily because one of my favorite aspects of Doom levels is nicely designed levels and architecture and I like to run around maps looking at things.

I could use nomonsters when I play

This, exept for the nomonsters thing. I like to check out the gameplay and traps etc. Can`t use nomonsters then :)

I'll admit to using ZDoom's Buddha mode when I play a new map. I want to see how bad an ambush can mess me up without killing me. Once I finish the map, then I restart it without Buddha mode and play it legit.

I only use godmode if theres a pwad I wanna see all the levels on but just dont have the time or effort to go through the whole thing legitimatly. Doom 2 nightmare run eh.. I've never played doom 1/2 on nightmare properly before I may do that more often.

I may cheat if something is way beyond my skill level/I don't feel like spending the time to complete an insane battle. However, in that case I usually just stop playing, or use zdoom's kill monsters command :D

One thing I do a lot is use noclip if I fall somewhere stupid (such as a place that isn't going to hurt you but, you need to retrace a long path to get back to where you were)

Also there's playtesting, their original purpose!

Unless I think that the wad I'm playing is amazing, I usually turn on God mode after I die for the first time so that I can just run around and look at the levels.

As others have said, I tend to use god mode when I want to look around a map without having to worry about being pasted by demons. I used to also use it as a means of getting through impossibly difficult bits in tough maps, but as I've gotten better and more patient I find I don't need to do that any more.

I almost never use god mode. last cheat I can recall using was during Alien Vendetta when I did an "Arch-Vile jump to the secret exit!"

But it wasn't the secret exit.

and I got stuck and had to no clip =[

I usually only use God Mode to play a level I'm writing music for after I've beaten it a few times the "normal" way. Just helps me get the atmosphere and feel of the level before writing.

Never. I mean, I may occasionally use it to test something, a technical aspect or detail in a level I'm familiar with, but never to progress amid actual playing. I don't like torturing myself and I see no point in using it while trying to have fun, because the fun in DOOM is in the action, in the process, and the challenge, as far as I'm concerned, and I value the exploratory phase as part of play. Unless testing, I'm usually recording a demo, and using that cheat would ruin it, anyway. The demos are useful in case I catch anything special or if I want to revisit the WAD visually and in action without concentrating on play. They also guarantee that I stick to actual playing rather than doodling, which is about as fun as waiting at a ticket or bus stop queue.

To me cheating at single player makes about as much sense as cheating on an online server. In a way, I am like someone else to myself while I play. Using cheat codes would be akin to lying to myself. Why am I even trying if I don't like it enough to progress by the rule set of the game? Imagine granny playing solitary by herself while the veggies boil, and cheating...

The only cheat I recall using during play in any recent time is IDDT, in a very few WADs where the author had greatly abused the invisible line to make parts of the automap 100% undetectable. I then turn it off when leaving the offending section.

If a WAD isn't working for me, has some bug that ruined my fun or I'm getting frustrated by the difficulty, it's simple: I just quit. If it seems worthwhile, I start again at some point, most likely using a lower difficulty setting.

I turn it on without hesitating if there's something that registers as a design flaw in my view e.g. inescapable pits, badly timed damaged floor parts, irreversible door/puzzle switches that effectively require you to restart the level etc. as well as unsurvivable "insta-death" savegames done in the wrong moment,

I don't use actual god mode for ALL of those, though, if I have to cheat I only use something proportionate e.g. IDCLIP for pits and one-time puzzles, IDBEHOLDR for damaging floor part, or give me a berserk instead of invulnerability. If I "have" to use god mode, I prever using the "invulnerability" cheat, so that my health won't be restored to 100%.

Nope. Only for testing stuff out. However, when I'm reviewing a map and am killed reasonably far in without having saved my game I will sometimes (if I'm using Z/GZDoom) `resurrect in order to keep playing. This way I can still make a just judgment on the health distribution and monster/hazard usage, something which QD doesn't allow.

The only recognised cheat I often use is IDBEHOLD_, typically R or A. R if I realize that the means to progress is in the toxic wastes only after my radiation suit has worn off and I'm in a bad mood, and A if I'm both playing a PWAD which I probably won't be returning to and it's taking me far, far too long to find the secret anyway. And I'm in a bad mood. I don't use IDDT because the map appears too convoluted with all its lines to be able to make anything out anyway.

I sometimes use god mode for testing, sometimes as a quick "on/off" +100 health when I really don't want to die in a long map (I also have resurrect bound to a key in GZDoom for that same purpose), sometimes for a run through a complex and long map I don't understand, sometimes for a wad that simply sucks in gameplay so I just take a look at everything and delete it from my harddrive afterwards.

So there's a lot of situations in which I may use god mode, but I think I actually use it less than 5% of my total playing time.

I usually only use god mode when I'm showing someone a level I made and I don't feel like dying a shit-load of times. I usually try to play through the first time legitimately, and usually I always end up getting killed because I neglect the quick save function.

i use god mode very often to test/practice speedrun routes, tricks and possible map exploits. the whole training sequence for difficult runs looks like: nomo -> godmode -> segmented run -> final run.

I use god mode usually only while playing jokewads. Other than that, unless I'm just testing something I made, I rarely activate it.

I use it frequently. And it is really the reason I've sucked at games for the longest time, I never bothered to actually learn to play them. In recent years I've gotten better about it and usually only use god mode when I'm bored and don't feel like dying, am testing, or am playing something that's genuinely just too tough for me to handle. (I have no illusions that I'm a great player, though I've gotten much better).

However, I am pleased to hear about this Buddha mode in ZDoom. I didn't know about that before--I am sure to use it in the third scenario I mentioned rather than god mode. And actually it sounds like a really good way to gauge how a level plays when testing without having to frequently die and start over.

Never.

I want to experience the challenge of gameplay the way it was authored to be.

Almost never I see it as a good challenge to push through real hard slog battles and levels of course always on skill 4.

besides if someone has gone to the time and effort to make a wad your not doing it justice to cheat through.

Bobsklim IV said:

besides if someone has gone to the time and effort to make a wad your not doing it justice to cheat through.

Not if all their time went into making it look good and not into making it play well.