Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnfulgor

The battle of life

Hello all!
In a previous post I sketched a sort of sociological interpretation of doom which I like to deepen here. In my opinion the marine battle has many
resemblances with real life everyday battle in modern world.
1)You are alone
2)You face a world of abnormal, strange things
3)Traps and enemies hiddend in the darkness fill your path
4)The battle never comes to a REAL end
5)If you stop, you die (that's why the ALWAYS RUN option has been added to the ports! :-)
6)Too easily reachable goodies regularly hide the most lethal traps

Let me know your opinion...

7) if you know the right corners, you can step through the walls of reality and see the world as a pathetic construct of our limited minds, surrounded by a chaotic warped void space of the elder gods.

When people with internet access and enough free time to post on obscure video game forums talk about the struggles of life in the modern world or somesuch, I'm always a bit baffled.

Also, I used to straferun all the time as a toddler and instead of going faster, I fell down. Doom is a lie.

johnfulgor said:

1)You are alone

No I'm not

johnfulgor said:

2)You face a world of abnormal, strange things

Are you tripping?

johnfulgor said:

3)Traps and enemies hiddend in the darkness fill your path

Are you tripping or live in a ghetto?

johnfulgor said:

4)The battle never comes to a REAL end

Sigvatr covered this one.

johnfulgor said:

5)If you stop, you die (that's why the ALWAYS RUN option has been added to the ports! :-)

But great things come to those who wait.

johnfulgor said:

6)Too easily reachable goodies regularly hide the most lethal traps

You mean like free stuff?

I too once thought that Doom was a metaphor for real life and its hardships, e.g. since behind every fucking door you opened there would be a bunch of angry monsters ready to RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!!!

But I was 16. And boy oh boy was I ever angry.

Ur all being too literal.

Preach it, Mr fulgor.

Kyka, I think if someone went and dropped a deuce right on top of your shoes, you'd somehow manage to comment on the interestic and artistic shape that shit has, or that it's impressive for someone to have the guts to poo in public.

Just teasing. I like your positive outlook on things, it's just *so* positive it sometimes ends up being a bit over the top with fluffy coated niceness, and that makes it funny. ;)

You crazy nerds and your pessimism. I, for one, find that life is much more like Duke3d. I'm incredibly manly/good looking with big muscles, and I spend most of my time protecting our babes from aliens while still finding time to play with myself.

Well, as I implied in my last post, my life is more like Kirby's Dream Land. I suck, my only friends are animals, and I'm constantly living in a fantasy world.

My life is like being in Half Life 2...

... as a sentry turret.

Thanks phml for the comments too. Heh.

Life is Doom. You have to pass a trial after another, with only mild, temporary satisfaction before your next crucible is upon you. Something drives you to get through all the challenges, and what is in the end awaiting you is, too, only fake and temporary. After absolute completion, the emptiness closes in and all you can do, sooner or later... is to quit.