Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Fallout New Vegas Discussion Thread

If you're planning on getting the PC version, it's best to wait until Obsidian patches it up. Right now the PC version is nearly unplayable due to some weird bug that causes the framerate when NPCs are onscreen.

Loved Fallout 3 to pieces. Preordered New Vegas months ago, and can't wait for Friday! Even if it's more of the same, that's a good thing in this case. Like pizza, but a different topping.

I'm still playing Fallout 3 from time to time, very fun game to play. I recently played all the expansions. I will definitely play New Vegas as well, but I really would like to play Arcania Gothic 4 first.

Craigs said:

If you're planning on getting the PC version, it's best to wait until Obsidian patches it up. Right now the PC version is nearly unplayable due to some weird bug that causes the framerate when NPCs are onscreen.

Somehow, I don't have that problem.

If Fallout: New Vegas is enough like Fallout 3, I'll once again be role-playing as Santa Cause in a world where everyone asked for explosions for Christmas.

From the review I read it's more like a massive mission pack for F3 than a new game. Unfortunately there's also a staggering amount of bugs, which may not be very surprising given the developers involved...

I still have the entire NE section of F3 to explore, so I'll pass.

udderdude said:

Linking something from my twin's blog on the game in question ..

http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/10/fallout-new-vegas-hardcore-impressions.html

udderdude's twin said:

Instant travel and doctor visits still break the game.

Stopped reading right there.

First off, you can't Instant Travel if you'll get dehydrated/hungry/sleepy along the way.

Second, a game without Instant Travel turns into Morrowind. And I sure as hell don't want to play Morrowind again. I kinda like playing a game without walking through endless dusty fields because I HAVE to, not because I WANT to.

Zaldron said:

What is it with these guys and bugs... will wait for the first patch.

Which is now out. I gotta give Obsidian credit, that was a lot faster than I expected. Also, the game reminds me more of the original Fallout than Fallout 3 to be honest. In Fallout 3 you were pretty much a god. If someone fucked with you, you could just blow them away with almost no trouble at all. Brute force could solve just about any problem in the game. That's not the case at all in New Vegas. It's a lot like in the original Fallout where stealth and a silver tongue were pretty much mandatory to deal with a lot of situations.

Mr. Freeze said:

Second, a game without Instant Travel turns into Morrowind. And I sure as hell don't want to play Morrowind again. I kinda like playing a game without walking through endless dusty fields because I HAVE to, not because I WANT to.

Wat. Morrowind had instant travel. At least 4 different methods of it, in fact. Though you did have to slog through the wilderness on several occasions. That was part of the fun of the game, though.

Fallout 3 was great fun and I just recently reinstalled the game. I'll get Fallout: New Vegas sometime down the road when I know the worst of the bugs have been dealt with.

kristus said:

Cant say that Fallout 3 really did much for me.

This.

Boring quests, boring combat, boring characters. Boring everything else, to be frank.

Fallout 3 was ok, but calling it an RPG is a far stretch. Plus, it should have been titled as a spin-off like BoS was rather than the third one in the main series.

Unless New Vegas is actually a deep, involving RPG rather than an action-adventure game, I'll pass.

From what I've seen so far, the writing and quests are better than those of Fallout 3.

And I love not having to play through your childhood before getting to the "real" game. Just pick your character stats and move on.

Story looks interesting too. No more annoying Daddy and his Bible passages to suffer.

Rohit_N said:

From what I've seen so far, the writing and quests are better than those of Fallout 3.

And I love not having to play through your childhood before getting to the "real" game. Just pick your character stats and move on.

Story looks interesting too. No more annoying Daddy and his Bible passages to suffer.

actually there is a tutorial but it's brief and most of it is optional. I haven't tried skipping it yet because you get some extra caps and ammo if you go through with it.

Also I don't see what's so annoying about the dad from Fallout 3. It's not like you even saw him much. The only thing that bothered me about the bible passage was that it played such a huge role in the end and yet it didn't even give you much of a hint about it. I ended up having to look it up on the internet.

So far I'm really enjoying New Vegas. The main gripe I have about it is that a lot of the enemies are pretty much total bullshit, especially Cazadors. Even with reinforced combat armor and ~300 health they can still knock off around half of my health with a single sting, and on top of that, you'll almost never encounter them alone. They always come in swarms. Also the adults can take quite a beating before going down.

Giant rad scorpions are even worse since they're armored and can take like 50 .357 rounds from the cowboy repeater before going down, and again, they come in packs. At times it's like playing Deus Vult, except all the monsters have been replaced by cyberdemons.

I'm finding very few bugs that people are talking about. It runs great, NPCs dont do anything weird, all the quests and stuff seem to work okay. Only problem I found is one time a terminal screen didnt actually display and I couldnt get out of it or so anything with it.

Liking the game so far though. And I prefer the new story/setting to F3s. It's more like... Let's just get on with things.

I haven't come across any hugely powerful enemies yet, though there was a group of Giant radscorpions that took a fair amount of dynamite to put down.

Oh and Hardcore mode is kinda fun, but pretty easy. The only thing I ever need to actively keep tabs on is thirst. Hunger and Sleep seem to take care of themselves becaue I naturally rest and eat to get HP etc.

I'm playing Fallout 3 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'll certainly be acquiring New Vegas once I've mostly gone through FO3 and there are some fixes/expansions for New Vegas.

Rohit_N said:

No more annoying Daddy and his Bible passages to suffer.

You shut your fucking mouth. Daddy was voiced by Liam Neeson.

Mr. Freeze said:

I don't think the problem is even Obsidian's fault, despite what the detractors are screaming. The Gamebyro engine is a bugged, shitty mess.

Actually from the sound of this post it kind of is.

If you're doing the quest involving the cult-like ghouls at the REPCONN Test Site, you are better off grabbing the igniter component just northeast of Novac instead of buying the (key for storage to get) rocket souvenirs as I still have 100 or so in my inventory because Chris didn't remove them all from me and I can't because they are quest items.

Nightkin are tough motherfuckers early in the game so I suggest stealth boys and a semi-automatic weapon or explosives to use against them.

Also, I've not found a permanent home yet so I'm carrying like 20 or so guns with me.

Having a great time on PS3 version, no big bugs or anything too weird, aside from the engine's usually wackiness which I've been used to since Oblivion. Time to retire this horse??

Mr. Chris said:

Also, I've not found a permanent home yet so I'm carrying like 20 or so guns with me.

Rent a room in Novac's motel. If you're on good terms with the people there it'll even be free.

At 6 hours in the game, New Vegas has been decidedly bug-less for me so far, though some of the usual Fallout 3\Obvlivion glitches have happened. It's a good refreshing take on what Fallout 3 had to offer, but a bit more refined and expanded.

I like the elements of the old school merged with the new school. Now if only the game wouldn't be such a buggy piece of crap. I've experienced crashes. Most annoyingly are clipping bugs. Monsters and characters getting stuck in the ground. Patch didn't do fuck all to fix it either.

AirRaid said:

I haven't come across any hugely powerful enemies yet, though there was a group of Giant radscorpions that took a fair amount of dynamite to put down.

I came across a blind Death Claw. Killed me being only level 4.