Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Need some constructive criticism

Cool map. Good detail. Some texture misalignments. There are lower textures missing from an elevator on sector 171, that's probably the biggest problem I saw.

You've used a lot of S1 open Door triggers on doors, without giving them tags.

ZDoom makes triggers with a tag of 0 only affect the adjacent sector. However in non ZDoom based ports and the original Doom, these triggers will affect every 0 tagged sector on the map, destroying it.

Vermil said:

You've used a lot of S1 open Door triggers on doors, without giving them tags.

ZDoom makes triggers with a tag of 0 only affect the adjacent sector. However in non ZDoom based ports and the original Doom, these triggers will affect every 0 tagged sector on the map, destroying it.

To clarify this, you can get the desired behavior (that is, affecting the sector on the backside of the trigger line) by using D1 and DR (door once and door repeatable) line types instead. S1 and SR lines require a tag, and are used for remote-activated doors.

I really liked your level! Visuals were awesome, and the "physicality" was also great (cool lifts, windows, etc...I love when you descend the stairs into open air!!)

some nitpicks:

There is a lift at the beginning (it has a marble face texture) which you can activate from the top. It seemed as though you weren't supposed to be able to, not that it greatly affects gameplay.

I thought it was a little wonky how the blood hurt you, but then glowing red rocks didn't. Didn't kill the gameplay though.

Also, in the area with two hell knights in the corner it looks like you can jump over the edge but you can't. As all my other points, it didn't break the map or anything but it can be weird when you instinctively strafe into an invisible wall. I'd recommend some kind of visual cue, like a short fence

Hi.

Just had a play through this, and yeah it was actually pretty good. Good 'classic' feel to it, good gameplay.

As mentioned, a few texture misalignments, but nothing too major.

Moar!

Also, what is the music you used. It is familiar, but I can't place where I have heard it. Probably in another Doom wad somewhere.

An fda for you. Nice, rather easy, some interesting architecture, definitely a bit of a classic feel. I thought the ssg at the end wasn't really needed, the fight with the arch-vile is completely nerfed by the many walls in the exit room. Might want to put in a couple revenants instead if you want to keep the ssg in, though that would probably up the difficulty too much to be consistent. So probably just remove the ssg or take out a couple walls.

Nice map. Plenty of detail. Classic feel and game play. I like it.

Nice job. Looking forward to more after this one.

Edit:
You might consider zipping this and adding a text file so we know where it came from 5 years from now.

A couple of things:

I had a problem getting up the first lift because I wasn't standing in the middle and it kept bouncing me down. So I initially thought it wasn't the way to go.

The revenant revealed by the lowering column next to the switch seemed oblivious to my presence (deaf and facing away from me) so didn't pose to much of a threat.

I didn't like the Nazi, seemed a bit out of place.

Noticed some misaligned textures mainly in the secret lava area.

Anyway really great job.
Nice map, nice style, I enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed playing this map! Some texture alignments as previous posters have said have to be fixed. The SS dude was a bit odd but he is hidden in a secret room so ok, I'll give you that one. The Baron bumps his head into the metal-thingies and can't get up close to you wich makes the fight less difficult.

The crack in the floor in the starting room was ugly. I don't know why, it just looked strange. But all in all good job! Make more maps!

Notes taken and thank you guys!!

"You might consider zipping this and adding a text file so we know where it came from 5 years from now."

Im just trying to get all the bugs out I don't see (or suggestions) before I upload to the archives.

I've just finished to play your map with zdoom, and I enjoyed it very much. I like the mixing of gothic and hellish elements! The architecture is original. The gameplay is good, not too easy, not too difficult.
Thank you for your work!
John