Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Do you kill every monster?

When you play through a wad, do you try to kill every monster?

This is one of the things that's probably stopped me from playing harder wads, I play Doom because I like running around shooting things. I usually go out of my way to get 100% kills, even if it means constant backtracking to pick up ammo. I've watched videos of others playing Doom, and they usually just run past most of the difficult monsters, which is pretty boring IMO. A mod that would require 100% kills instead of level exiting would be awesome.

I always try to kill every monster. (and harmless NPCs)

The idea of need to kill all monsters to complete the level sounds cool. That kind of a WAD must have ridiculously OTT violence, gibs and blood flying everywhere and severed head soccer like in Blood. Also ridiculously overpowered weapons like super-spread rapid fire BFG. And a lot of different kinds of monsters in single levels.

Yes. I tend to be a little OCD in games. Generally, my formula is this:
- Capture all that can be captured. (Disregard if capture is not possible in the game.)
- Destroy all enemies (that couldn't be captured), but make sure all allies and neutrals survived.
- Harvest/take/steal all that is available, or until inventory full, if applicable
- Explore every nook and cranny. Make sure the automap is entirely completed; or at least as much as possible.

So for Doom, this means that I make sure to get 100% kills, 100% secrets, 100% items. I'll even cheat if necessary (idclip to register a bogus secret sector or to go murder a demon that doesn't manage to leave its holding cage because the teleport trap failed for whatever reason).

bgraybr said:

A mod that would require 100% kills instead of level exiting would be awesome.

Try Stronghold then. :p

I kill because I can, and because if I run into any difficulties and suddenly need provisions, I can rest assured in my having crafted a little "safe house" for myself in the previous room(s). But if I hear just one gurgling Imp before I flip that exit switch, it's search and destroy, baby. Nobody gets out alive.

Having said that, I don't mind giving the few extra beasties the slip on first time run-throughs; particularly with official wads, or wads that otherwise have decent replayability. They'll get theirs soon enough.

I'm a hoarder in games and want to get everything, do everything and search every corner.

Also, who else likes to kill harmless friendlies?

I kill what's in my way. Beyond that, I'll kill everything if the level is fun / if I'm doing a demo.

I generally kill everything in a level otherwise I feel I haven't done it properly. Particularly in hard levels its very satisfying to have a 100% kill count.

Sometimes I will even go to the extent of clipping to off map monster closets to kill the ones that don't teleport in properly.

Gez said:

- Capture all that can be captured.

This sounds like a winning mindset in life.

Usually when I find the exit I throw the switch without worries. My objective is to survive, not exterminate. If for example there are hell knights stuck on some suspended platforms, and I can pass by them safely, I spare them. I don't want to waste ammo.

Hell yeah I blast every motherfucker that comes my way. Throwing fireballs at me? Fuck you, take a rocket to the face! Anything that moves is automatically obliterated, like a Killbot 9000 (or something) would do. Run out of ammo? Get punched. The level is just not complete without thoroughly raping it apart.

Butts, would you stop blowing lines for one second?

I almost never go for 100% kills. However, when confronted with a horde of monsters, I almost always try to kill all of them. :P

try to work that out

Running on UV with iddqd while listening to music just to pass time? Yes. Running on UV without iddqd and playing for the wad or an LP? Well, if I can rightly avoid it(or it gets too ridiculous, such as 100+ hellknights plus two cyberdemons in a cluttered room with not enough ammo to take care of them), I'll gladly skip some enemies.

I am surprisingly passive when it comes to enemies. I kill the things I can either take care of quickly, or that act as a blockade to my path. However, if I see a situation where I can easily cut through the enemies without having to kill the majority (and I don't have to return) I just try to escape, more ammo for me that way.

No, I never bother trying to kill stuff that I don't need to. Doom for me has never been primarily about killing monsters. Indeed, I feel it is a greater achievement to get through a map killing as little as possible. "If it doesn't kill me, why should I kill it?"

Only exception is if trying to record a demo in one of the Max categories.

I do kill every monster if I'm doing an UV-Max.

Depends on the map, the situation and how much of a damn I actually give.

If it's a slaughter arena type map or section of a map, then I will not let any monster get out alive. In ammo-tight maps (or when I won't be able to make up for any lost health) I just skip ahead.

This sometimes has the benefit of being able to trigger more infighting, if the monsters can actually follow you.

Speaking of which, sometimes I'll just stand in a safe spot where I can trigger infighting and stay there until I've "killed" every monster.

Maes said:

Speaking of which, sometimes I'll just stand in a safe spot where I can trigger infighting and stay there until I've "killed" every monster.

i usually don't have the patience. i circle around the crowd, cut through it, help to take down the meaner baddies, whatever to intensify the infighting.

dew said:

i usually don't have the patience. i circle around the crowd, cut through it, help to take down the meaner baddies, whatever to intensify the infighting.

I do that too, in some spots however you just can't even think of crossing a certain line/door without getting insta-fucked (The Great Bicycle Mystery has a lot of such spots, e.g. room with impassable linedefs for monsters, which tend to crowd near doors).

Of course I move and try to "stir things up" a bit even in such situations, but yeah, they are generally way slower than cutting in the mid of a fight.

I kill immediate threats or anything I feel might come back to haunt me. I'm less likely to kill monsters on ledges, in pits or in cages of some sort. I'm even less likely still to go back to an area to kill stuff I've already passed if there's no other reason to go there.

Yeah, I usually do just for the sake of completeness and also because I figure if I'm playing a level I haven't played before or for a while, I might need to backtrack/retreat to an area previously explored, so it'd be safer to clear the area, assuming more monsters aren't released into that area upon triggering a trap elsewhere.

If nothing else I tend to be anal about eliminating all snipers because there's nothing more irritating than some imp or chaingunner on a ledge or niche playing Lee Harvey Oswald on your ass from across the map.

I kill everything that I encounter. Sometimes i don't get 100% kills if I miss a room or something, but if I hear a monster's alert sound, I don't flee until I know its dead.

I like to kill everything, but if I get to the end of a large map and theres a few monsters left then I usually cba to go back and search for them. Also if a bit is quite tricky then I have no qualms with running past monsters, i.e. MAP05 of Curse of D'sparil.

Gez said:

Try Stronghold then. :p

Less entertaining, because the monsters just come to you. Having to search for them in a large level instead of an arena would be more difficult and rewarding.

purist said:

I'm less likely to kill monsters on ledges, in pits or in cages of some sort.

On that note, sometimes I think monster cages are annoying. Especially when you have the classic imps in some holes in the wall, who really don't pose a threat...it's just really contrived in my opinion. I often leave those guys to rot

magicsofa said:

On that note, sometimes I think monster cages are annoying. Especially when you have the classic imps in some holes in the wall, who really don't pose a threat...it's just really contrived in my opinion. I often leave those guys to rot

Quite a MAP13 remindance. That level is REALLY annoying to make a UV-MAX run.

It really depends on my mood. When I am upset, I will kill everything on the map, including all barrels. Otherwise, I tend to conserve ammo as much as possible, so I do not bother with monsters that do not pose a significant threat. Hitscanners are probably the more unfortunate fellows, they always get shot. They do like making it easier for me, because they really seem to enjoy killing each other all the time, but that is their problem, not mine.