Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Films

My queue is about 95 movies long right now, but I'm always interested in other's taste in movies. I've become a bit of a filmaholic in recent years (up to 853 last I checked), so I always want to see a new one. You guys have any awesome

Short overview of my favorites:

http://rateyourmusic.com/film_collection/bbkd3b/r5.0

List of everything I've watched (with some error, obviously):

http://rateyourmusic.com/film_collection/bbkd3b/r0.5-5.0

So, what are your favorite films? Any awesome movies i haven't listed? This is a heavy passion of mine, so please, fill me in! I've been wondering what all of your tastes in film are like.

Okuribito (Departures) (2008) was a really good Japanese film from recent times.

Otherwise, Repo Man if you haven't seen it. That shit will blow your mind!

Heh, kung fu hustle. Nice favorite. So for movies to watch ... The thief and the cobbler. Seriously, some good laughs. Also the thirteenth warrior isn't listed. Beyond that I can't really think of anything at the moment, though I could list off some anime I thought were good - not really movies though, beyond the cowboy bebop one, and you could consider kara no kyoukai as a series of short films cause each is about 45-50 minutes long.

Miller's Crossing is missing from your list... if you really haven't seen that one, queue it. Well actually I'd be surprised if you haven't already put it in your queue, since you like other Cohen Brothers movies. It's as great as anything else they've done IMO. The Big Lebowski gets its own plane of awesome, but other than that I mean. I can't wait for their True Grit. Remakes are pretty terrible all around (see the thread on this board about 50 upcoming film remakes), but I feel like the Cohens wouldn't bother unless they know they can make something worthwhile.

Did you see The Men Who Stare at Goats? I worked at a Movie Gallery for over 2 years (til they went under this summer) and I had the opportunity to see every movie released in that time for free, and I barely watched any because they have pretty much been crap. But this one I like.

I was gonna recommend some samurai movies I didn't see on your list, but then I skipped to the end where all the Japanese character titles are listed. Kagemusha and Sword of Doom mostly. Awesome for obviously different reasons.

I have been watching Italian horror movies this month. Fulci, Argento, Bava stuff: Zombie, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Suspiria, Opera, Demoni... all pretty solid except for the occasional voice dubs (which doesn't reflect on the quality of the actual film to me). trivia: The zombie + shark scene in the Windows 7 commercial is from Fulci's Zombie, although Microsoft seems to have ommitted the naked scuba diving chick.

oh and a couple of Werner Herzog films: his remake of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski (there's an English and a German cut, and I don't mean dubs. the German one is probably a little better) and Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans. The Bad Lieutenant movie has some low budget actors but also some Crowning Moments of Awesome for Nicholas Cage and a couple of reptilian drug freakouts. I like it.

Way too many to list. But for some reason I noticed that you only have listed one of the god awful Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequels, with no mention of the first movie.

So... you could watch the 1974 original. A classic.

If you haven't seen Tron, you'd better hurry up before Tron Legacy comes out this December.

Also, I'm quite fond of Reckless Kelly, but it's definitely not for everybody.

Nikita, based on Leon being in your fav list. be sure to avoid Point of No Return, a terribad hollywood remake with bridget fonda.

Network, because i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take this anymore. i mean i saw other lumet's movies in your list and this one should interest you. it's message is uncomfortably actual even after 35 years.

ryuhei kitamura's Azumi and Versus, because it's the best attempt at 'live action manga' i've seen so far. and it's a lot of fun. azumi2 sucks, though.

carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13, because you gave The Thing 4.5 stars and this one is his earlier piece about a police station sieged by a gang. and it's surprisingly similar in the mood and suspense. careful, there's a new age remake that i haven't seen.

The Proposition, a western of the Unforgiven kind, except it's placed in australia. script and music by nick cave, if that means anything to you. :)

i could continue for hours...

dew said:

carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13, because you gave The Thing 4.5 stars and this one is his earlier piece about a police station sieged by a gang. and it's surprisingly similar in the mood and suspense. careful, there's a new age remake that i haven't seen.

The remake ain't that bad as a movie, but it's just not the same without that 70s feel.

The Warriors will face the same problem if remade (see other thread).

If you want a classic with a horrible remake try The Hitcher (I can't believe IMDB defaults to the new one now).

ryuhei kitamura's Azumi and Versus, because it's the best attempt at 'live action manga' i've seen so far. and it's a lot of fun. azumi2 sucks, though.

Azumi is great fun to watch. Crying Freeman is my fav though when it comes to 'live action manga'.

Here are some good animated movies with adult themes:
Heavy Metal
Fire and Ice
Felidae
Plague Dogs
Ghost in the Shell (pretty much Blade Runner II)

Some others:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 70s version with Donald Sutherland)
Tron
Dune

And if you've ever played D&D:
The Gamers
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Suicide Club, aka Suicide Circle (the Japanese 2002 movie). I'm not sure if it counts as "good", but it's worth seeing.

Movies I like out of the top of my head.

Synecdoche, New York
Taxi Driver
Inglourious Basterds
Fargo
The Wrestler
The Dark Knight
Hunger
Alien

Pretty cool looking suggestions, guys! A lot of them are already on my private "wish list." Contact, The Proposition and Re-Animator are all good movies, although for completely different reasons.

I think I saw Tron when I was like... 8 or something. Definitely need to watch it again.

Just watched Modern Times today. First Chaplin film I've ever watched; some humor translates regardless of generation, needless to say. Also have Kwaidan here with City Lights and Foxy Brown up next.

I've written down pretty much all titles not in my queue/on my wishlist!

bytor said:

Max Schreck in Nosferatu. Now I see gravager mentioned this.

I was actually talking about the 1979 "remake", but the original is good too. I bought the 2 disc Kino remaster, and it looks pretty impressive for a 1921 film. I guess I assumed most people who are into film knew about the first Nosferatu, but the Herzog/Kinski one seems less well-known.

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/n/o/s/nosferatu-fantome-de-la-ii05-g.jpg

Kinski plays the vampire, but also of note is Bruno Ganz as Johnathan Harker, who would later kick ass as Adolf Hitler in Der Untergang (The Downfall). I recommend that one too.

and if you happen to be a fan of Nosferatu, don't miss Shadow of the Vampire. Max Shreck was amazing in his role as a vampire; this film plays up the (whimsical?) notion that he really WAS undead and not loving it. So it's sort of like a fictional "behind the scenes of Nosferatu" DVD special feature. Willem DaFoe plays Shreck and Eddie Izzard is in there somewhere. Just great.

Wow i'm actually impressed, this isn't too bad of a fav list. There's only one movie there that I flat out hated and that is Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I think i'll be able to help.

To start off, seeing as how you loved Leone's westerns you should make it top priority to seek out Sergio Corbucci's Westerns. Both directors have alot in common besides sharing the same first name. Seek out The Great Silence(Spaghetti Western in the snow!),The Mercenary and Companeros for starters. Also if you can find it, check out the western Keoma, some get turned off by the in your face soundtrack but i freaking dug it!

Dolemite is great! Nothing tickles my fancy more than some jive talking negroes. Trouble Man is the epitome of a cool blaxploitation flick, check it out. Also The Mack, Willie Dynamite, Coffy and Super Fly all of these will quench your thirst.

You like dark comedies that's always a good sign. Vampire's Kiss is similar to American Psycho in tone and plot. Successful yuppie starts to lose it(i.e. goes insane and starts killing)This will make you rethink Nicolas Cage's career no doubt. Some other dark comedies you might like are After Hours, Repo Man(1984),Kontroll and Bringing out the Dead.

I still haven't seen any Hayao Miyazaki films :'( and only recently have i gotten into animation but so far i've been impressed by Fantastic Planet, Waltz with Bashir, Mary & Max and Everything Will be O.K. all of these are worth a look.

Alright that's enough for now, if you want any more recommendations just ask. I'll end with some websites that i think you should check out:

http://www.icheckmovies.com
http://thelifecinematic.com/board/index.php

Also here's my outdated favourite movie list, movies are in no particular order:
http://pastebin.com/KgV0H3qP

whiteboy567 said:

There's only one movie there that I flat out hated and that is Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Half the forum now hates you.

What people aren't allowed to have opinions here? What is this some form of dictatorship? shut the hell up kid.

Honestly i'd put this movie on the same pedestal as all those corny and unfunny Scary/Date/Superhero/Epic movies. Also on the same pedestal lies youtube poop, newgrounds flash movies and Dane Cook/Carrot Top.

whiteboy567 said:

shut the hell up kid

I was joking, but now I'm not. Your username makes me sincerely doubt that you have the credentials to call me kid. If perhaps you are significantly older than me, I'll conclude based on your username that you are an idiot. Granted, your registration date indicates that you were 6 years younger that you are now when you picked your moniker.

However, the possibility of being significantly older means that you were in at least your late 20's at the time. This is still hardly an acceptable age to have chosen a name such as whiteboy567.

Ahahah, loved that scene.. the rest of the movie's brilliant, as well as Life of Brian.

@whiteboy567: I am pretty sure that the comedy style of Monty Python is by far much better than epic/scary/shitty movies. That's a horrible choice of comparison IMO. Just out of curiosity, what kind of movies do you find funny?

My favourites.. hmm, I don't have absolute favourites honestly.. I admire very well made movies, whether it be clever or down-right pleasurable. The Matrix I believe is one of my standout favourites. Really admirable mixture of themes and armchair philosophies rounded out with memorable characters and choreographed scenes. I am very open to varieties of genres, as long as it is well made and is obvious somehow that thought has been put into it.

Snakes said:

Just watched Modern Times today. First Chaplin film I've ever watched; some humor translates regardless of generation, needless to say.

Great movie. If you can handle watching silent comedies I highly recommend:

The Rough House (1917) w/ Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton.

I think this might be the funniest movie in my collection.

exp(x) said:

I was joking, but now I'm not. Your username makes me sincerely doubt that you have the credentials to call me kid. If perhaps you are significantly older than me, I'll conclude based on your username that you are an idiot. Granted, your registration date indicates that you were 6 years younger that you are now when you picked your moniker.

However, the possibility of being significantly older means that you were in at least your late 20's at the time. This is still hardly an acceptable age to have chosen a name such as whiteboy567.

Haha i find it funny that you took my whole post seriously and now you're scrambling around for insults. With nowhere to go you choose to poke fun at my username that I made 6 years ago as you so obviously pointed out. Great stuff man. What's going to happen next? Are you going to somehow correlate the number of posts i've made to how intellectual i am?? Hey I have no quarrels in telling you my real age, I actually just turned 22 this month so you were a little off in that regard.

Joshy said:

@whiteboy567: I am pretty sure that the comedy style of Monty Python is by far much better than epic/scary/shitty movies. That's a horrible choice of comparison IMO. Just out of curiosity, what kind of movies do you find funny?

Yeah i'll give you that, the comparison was a little harsh i'm really just not a fan of Gilliam in general.

i'm pretty much open to humour that isn't forced and predictable.

Some movies i find funny:Most of Buster keatons movies, Vampire's Kiss, The Big Lebowski, The Dion Brothers, The Brother From Another Planet, Fubar, Strike Commando, Troll 2, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2, Deadly Prey(1987), Harrold Lloyd movies, The Room(2003), This is Spinal Tap, Groundhog Day,Planes, Trains and Automobiles ect.

Doom Marine said:

whiteboy567 is such a stupid name, an improvement on this would be whiteboi69

ya totarrie sorta how doom demon would be a step up from "Doom Marine" rite

whiteboy567 said:

What's going to happen next? Are you going to somehow correlate the number of posts i've made to how intellectual i am??

No, I'm going to point out that...

exp(x) said:

Your username makes me sincerely doubt that you have the credentials to call me kid.

whiteboy567 said:

Hey I have no quarrels in telling you my real age, I actually just turned 22 this month so you were a little off in that regard.

... your reading comprehension could use some improvement.

No hard feelings, though, right? It's just the internet. In case you are sore, you could point out how pathetic it is for a 26 year old to be trolling someone on a forum dedicated to a computer game that came out in 1993. You would have a good point.

No see, I wouldn't stoop to that level pointing out the obvious and being predictable like that...it's just not my style, i'm thrilled to hear your honesty though. But me calling you a kid can be disregarded since the post wasn't serious in the first place, I just wanted a rise out of you and from what I can see, i've succeeded. Think of it as a troll trollin' a troll.