Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Level Editing

I've seen all these WADs and such things out for Doom and Doom2. I was looking at a few of them and started to wonder, what if I could make my own levels?
Now, I have a few questions:
1. What sort of WAD/level builder thingy should I download?
2. IF I make a level, what sort of level do you think I should make?
3. In your opinion, what's the Episode from Doom that you like to recreate from the original Doom?

1) Zeth (but most people would probably say DeepSea...)
2) Doesnt matter... I prefer single player...
3) I like all the Doom1 levels :)

I've seen all these WADs and such things out for Doom and Doom2. I was looking at a few of them and started to wonder, what if I could make my own levels?
Now, I have a few questions:

Shoot.

1. What sort of WAD/level builder thingy should I download?

Start with wadauthor(Or Deepsea). You can try waded, altho I don't like it.

2. IF I make a level, what sort of level do you think I should make?

Whatever you want.

3. In your opinion, what's the Episode from Doom that you like to recreate from the original Doom?

Inferno

If you'd like every DOOM owner to be able to play your WAD, I recommend using one of the old pure Doom editors (WadEd being my favourite).

Heh, as for editors, there used to be a time when I would warn people away from WadEd, but I'll say, go for it if you want to try it.

There seem to be a few WadEd purists around, who would all agree with me when I say that, even though it has probably the worst reputation amongst editors, it's "unique" way of doing things is what attracts us. It seems to have a different interface to anything, but only in small ways. Small, but effective enough for us to prefer it.

And, you'll encounter tons of bugs and crashes, but work with it. When you've found all the workarounds, you'll swear by it ;)

1. DeepSea is what I use, but you make pick up easier with other editors. Everyone has there different tastes..
I'm banana!

2. What ever the story or theme your trying to express in the level.

3. Knee Deep in the Dead, thats the best fucking episode ever!

and 4? Why is this not in the editing Forum?

Drawing the actual Map Design is somewhat easy. But, then, you've got all these thousands of other things to do, such as align the textures correctly, put weaopns/demons in place, put ammo in place. I can handle all this, I believe. But then, it gets more and more complicated. Like the blockmap. I have seen a blockmap-it's nothing but a lot of capital letters and numbers all running together. I hope I don't have to do that. That would suck. I'm still thinking what to call my level, IF I make one, that is.
I'm thinking of something like the Altar of Inequity, Metal Keep, Fading Echoes, and names of that nature, that have a DooM-ish ring to them.

Firstly, editing forum. That's the place for such questions.

Secondly, through reading your posts, it becomes apparent that you HAVE NOT touched a level editor. You comment about the blockmap shows this. ROFL. So, instead of saying that drawing the layout is easy, when you haven't tried (You cannot just draw lines, willy nilly. You have to know what you are doing) you should try an editor.

This will prove more useful than browsing a blockmap with a text editor <g>.

1. One which is designed for your operating system
2. One with monsters and an exit switch.
3. 1, 2 or 3.

1. I use WinDEU 5.23 Final for making levels. It was the one I first tried and got used to.
2. Make the level you want to make. It's your level - it should have your ideas in it.
3. See above.